Tuesday, April 04, 2006




















"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless tempest- tossed to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

With these very words, my Grandparents entered the United States in order to make a life beyond one they lived in Italy. They came in the early 1900's, traveling by boat; with the understanding that it was a *crap-shoot* whether they would be able to remain or not. In their case, they were fortunate that no one was even slightly ill, for this could be cause for them to be deported back. Their first stop was Ellis Island, and from there the families settled in Boston and Pittsburg. This would make me second generation on my mothers side. My fathers family has history that dated all the way back to the Pilgrims and the Mayflower. So put this altogether and you have what is commonly known as "American": the blend of cultures, the spirit of freedom, and the land of opportunity.

This is all not lost on the immigrants of today. Many still do cross the borders legally, and for many of the same reasons my Grandparents did. To those people, I have the highest regard for their efforts to become acclimated into American society. To make an honest endeavor to leave all you knew behind, and bank your future on a country completely foreign to you is indeed a brave adventure.

However, we now have an influx of immigrants that have not gone through proper channels to be here. This is no secret, and has been the subject of debate for many years. We're all just really waking up to it now since it's become a topic for our political candidates to wrap themselves around, while positioning themselves to be the next occupants of the White House. While positions are being jockied to do the correct thing, much is being lost in what course to take.

Because we are a nation of free-thinkers (some freer than others) comments have heated the debate from all sides. If you were to read a comment from a KKK member, he would tell you that they all have to go; only whites are Americans. But then that assessment would also include Jews, Catholics, Blacks, etc, etc..... I sometimes wonder if they remember that their forefathers were immigrants once. A migrant worker from Mexico would debate that they are here because they are only doing the job of some American who doesn't choose to do manual labor. Well, I tend to think they are closer to the issue than the KKK member.... but then that's because we put them in that postion in the first place. Let's face it, in no way would we want to do some of the jobs that the migrant workers do. Aren't we always preaching to our kids that they need a good education so they won't end up flipping burgers for a living? That's because we have higher aspirations for ourselves and our children, whether we are willing to admit it or not. It's not a bad thing necessarily; all our forefathers came to this country with the same idea in mind: a better life for my family, even if it means I do manual work as a first generation immigrant. It was a necessary pill for them to swallow mostly due to language barriers. However, these forefathers of ours came in through legal channels, which is not our current situation. Yeah, no doubt some rogue immigrants did sneak in illegally, but not in the numbers we see today.

But the issue remains at a stalemate because we were asleep at the wheel long enough in our greed to tend to it before it got out of hand.... the numbers are a staggering 12 million illegal immigrants to date.... if not more. So what to do now? Well it's not like you can just round everybody up and show them to the border and say: KEEP OUT! That seems like a reasonable answer, but the practicality of it doesn't solve the issue. It's only a matter of time before re-entry into the US is imminent to their plans. What we need to do is seal our borders off, and make it damn near impossible for them to get in to begin with. The population already here needs to get themselves registered for citizenship and face the same *proper channels* our forefathers did, or face immediate deportation. Seems harsh, but this is serious business and demands action before the numbers triple..... and at our current rate, that's not too far off into the future. If they prove to be serious about being in the United States, then they can comply with the rules we live with everyday; if not, they need to return to the country of their origin.... or whoever else will take them. They should not be allowed to handicap our system, for they have no rights here as citizens.... just as I would have no rights in their country.

For those willing to risk their past life on a new future in America, I say we hand them the * Bill of No Rights*, just so they know what they are getting into by being here. As a matter of fact, we Americans should follow a few of it's examples; if for nothing else, it makes complete common sense, and might clarify a few things for everybody.

* The Bill of No Rights *

We, the sensible people of the United States, in an attempt to help everyone get along, restore some semblence of justice, avoid any more riots, keep our nation safe, promote positive behavior, and secure the blessings of debt free liberty to ourselves and our great-great-great- grandchildren., hereby try one more time to ordain and establish some common sense guidelines for the terminally whinny, guiltridden, delusional, and other bed-wetters.

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that a whole lot of people are confused by the Bill of Rights and are so dim that they require a Bill of No Rights.

Article I: You do not have the right to a new car, big screen TV or any other form of wealth. More power to you if you can legally acquire them, but no one is guaranteeing anything.

Article II: You do not have the right to never be offended. This country is based on freedom, and that means freedom for everyone-- not just you! You may leave the room, turn the channel, express a different opinion, etc., but the world is full of idiots, and probably always will be.

Article III: You do not have the right to be free from harm. If you stick a screwdriver in your eye, learn to be more careful, do not expect the tool manufacturer to make you and all your relatives independently wealthy.

Article IV: You do not have the right to free food and housing. Americans are the most charitable people to be found, and will gladly help anyone in need, but we are quickly growing weary of subsidizing generation after generation of professional couch-potatoes who achieve nothing more than the creation of another generation of couch-potatoes.

Article V: You do not have the right to free health care. That would be nice, but from the looks of public housing, we're just not interested in public health care.

Article VI: You do not have the right to physically harm other people. If you kidnap, rape, intentionally maim or kill someone, don't be surprised if the rest of us want to see you fry in the electric chair.

Article VII: You do not have the right to the possessions of others. If you rob, cheat or coerce away the goods or services of other citizens, don't be surprised if the rest of us get together and lock you away in a place where you still won't have the right to a big screen color TV or a life of leisure.

Article VIII: You don't have the right to demand that our children risk their lives in foreign wars to soothe your aching conscience. We hate oppressive governments and won't lift a finger to stop you from going to fight if you'd like. However, we do not enjoy parenting the entire world and do not want to spend so much of our time battling each and every little tyrant with a military uniform and a funny hat.

Article IX: You don't have the right to a job. All of us sure want you to have a job, and will gladly help you along in hard times, but we expect you to take advantage of the opportunities of education and vocational training laid before you to make yourself useful.

Article X: You do not have the right to happiness. Being an American means that you have a right to PERSUE happiness--- which, by the way, is a lot easier if you are unencumbered of idiotic laws created by those of you who were confused by the Bill of Rights.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Perhaps these words written by Libertarian writer and US Senate candidate Lewis Napper might be a bit ungracious, but it might be time that we remember common sense rationale for which this country was founded on. This country wasn't founded for free-loaders, be it illegal immigrants or naturalized citizens, to abuse. It was for huddled masses of oppression to hold up to the world as a better plan to govern it's people. Why do we have such a hard time doing that, and instead have become a laughing stock to the rest of the world?...... but then that's a post for another day.

12 Comments:

Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

Nice. We have much in common. My grandparents risked everything to escape from the Ukraine un 1917 or there abouts. It was during the Russian revolution and things under either the Czar or the communists were not looking too good for Ukranian Jews. On my mother's side, we date back to the pilgrim days too. My heritage is also prominent during Civil War times as I am a direct descendant of Jefferson Davis.

I'm not sure what the answer is on the illegal immigration problem. It is a complex issue. I do feel a little funny about hearing of jobs "that Americans won't do." What, are we saying we're too good. I know that I would work for minimum wage any day rather than take welfare.

It makes us sound elitists - like we have those jobs that are wiorthy of "American employees" and those second class jobs that we'll throw to the low lifes... the immigrants. We may as well call it what it is: There are real jobs and then there are Mexican jobs. I don't like it, not one bit.

I appear to be in the minority. Apparently if one cannot find a "good" job, the only alternative is public assistance. If we wait around long enough, a good jiob will just drop into our lap. I'll say this: I have more respect for many of these illegals than I do for a great many "citizens." At least they're willing to get up off their lazy ass and WORK!!

Phew - Ok, I'm done.

~Mike

9:42 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

My Grandparents came from France and Ireland and found their way to Ga. My best friends Grandparents came from Greece. EllenJay is right. There are alot of hard working Mexican workforce here in Ca. and the jobs they fill would proably not even exist if wasn't for them. I couldn't pick lettuce all day long nor could I wash and detail cars , that type of back bending work would do me in physicaly. Something needs to be done but those who are trying and doing the right things should get to move to the front of the line. Great post.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I love the Bill of No Rights. I think the Shantarians might disagree, though...

1:35 PM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

Ellen,

Excellent. I feel worn out from discussing this issue with my friends, I'll just send them here from now on and say "What she said" :)

2:44 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

mike~
I couldn't agree more. What irritates me is the "naturalized couch potatoes" preaching how all the jobs belong to the US citizens all the while they sit back and collect welfare because a "good job" didn't land in their laps.

That all said, I do believe in public assistance.... but only up to a point. It is necessary for us to take care of our own people, but in many cases, we have people who knew ways to circumvent the system... and did just that. They were the ones who ruined it for the truly needy people.

I find I can't answer any other way than to sound elitist myself; but no, I would not like to have a job where I picked fruit all day (even though I did do that in a former time and quit the same day) nor would I be interested in cleaning up after people (even though I've done that as well). Our Mexican workforce is really a blessing, because they DO work hard, and the DO show up... which was less problems I had to worry about than the *naturalized* primadonna waiters I had, when I had a restaurant.

I'd just like to see them become citizens if they are that serious about working and living here. I'm not too sure the *work program* Bush wants to put into effect is efficient. But then, not much of what he's done so far has been efficient or effective. I will be keeping an eye on this issue to see what *great* ideas the others come up with, and pray it's a workable solution to both sides.

************

ej~
I agree. Most of our economy would collapse if we were to walk these people to the border and kick them out. That is not a workable situation for either side.... but sadly, mostly for us.
Besides, we are always preaching to the world that the opportunities in America are the best in the world. Our own Statue of Liberty dons the words of welcome... who wouldn't want to grab a chance at a better life if they lived in an oppressed society? It's become a real catch-22 situation.

************

skyeblue~
Again, I agree. If you show an effort to become acclimated to a society, and WANT to become a citizen, you get to head up to the front of the line. Serious efforts get special advantages.

************

saur~
Like those articles, huh?

I'm afraid it doesn't say much about saving the cockroaches the Shantars worship, but then.... EWWWWWW, ICK, ICK, YUCK!
Just thinking about those idiots makes my skin crawl. I say that if their religion is in the South, at least they recognize the bug capital of the world to practice their crazy religion in.

************

bar bar a~ LOL!
It is a hard issue to discuss, because it effects so many areas, and there is no way it will be solved overnight.... unless Mr. Bush declares amnesty. Even then, it will cause discourse amongst many, still.

This will be an issue that will long surpass this President. Let's hope the heads of government are collectively putting together a plan that makes sense.

3:03 PM  
Blogger neal said...

I am 50/50 Scotch Irish so I imagine somewhere along the line my ancestors immigrated to this country.

I do not have a problem with Mexicans who wish to come here and do the work many of us do not wish to do. I do have a problem when any immigrant comes here and immediately expects a free ride. I also have a problem when they come here and their kids join gangs and commit crimes.

So I think they should institute a guest worker program. They should be allowed to come here and work for a year, the whole time paying taxes as do all of us. If they can get their feet on the ground then they could apply for permanent residence. At that time they could bring their families over to live with them. If at any time they, or their family members, fall under the jurisdiction of the legal system they should be deported. I also think they should not be eligible for any special social service programs. If I were to lose my job I would not be entitled for low income services so why should they.

One other thing. I do not understand why anyone from Mexico thinks they are special and entitled to free entry into this country. I have been trying to go through legal methods to get my wifes sister here. I put in a petition 9 years ago and am still awaiting the issuance of a visa. There are many people who wish to enter this country but oceans seperate them so they cannot sneak across. It isn't fair that someone who enters this country illegally feels like they are more entitled to the benefits this country has to offer than someone who is trying to go through legal channels.

Nuff said...

7:09 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Ah... neal~
You said it all so much better than I did. I completely agree.

You, having first hand knowledge of the immigration problems, know what it's like to go through the process. Thanks for your perspective.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

A cute list of articles! We should all have to read that when we turn 18!

Senator Frist just proposed a new immigration bill which would legalize some aliens depending on how long they've been in the country.
BTW I'm working with a few here on work-visa's now, (South Americans n Philapinos) they are all very dedicated, hard workers! The bux are worth so much more where they came from, they'll be rich when they go back!

3:47 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

snaggle~
Good point! I agree that it should be required reading at 18 as well. We certainly have our share of freeloaders that were born here and feel entitled by that fact alone.

I've noticed that most of the immigrant workers I've worked alongside of, were grateful for making minimum wage because it beat the $1.50 a day they made in their own country. To them, they were rich. It's funny though, it doesn't take long for them to catch on that some people make more. At least they put in more of their share of the work due to their ethic.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Milk Brain said...

one of the things that gets me about all this had to do with the president of mexico. i can't remember his name buti heard on the radio the other day, that when he ran for president he promised teh people more jobs, more like america. and the host of the left-winged radio staion i listened to (cough, cough, randi rhodes, cough)said that he's pretty much sending these mexicans over teh border. i assume that's only partially accurate, i'd like to see the numbers please.

and about those second -class jobs... i think it's not necesarrily immigrants taking jobs we "won't do" it's more the fact that the people who offer these jobs don't pay what they're legally bound to by paying under the table and below minimum wage (which is a different issue not to get me started on). most americans can not live off of minimum wage these days, let alone any job that pays less. and the stupid republicans turned down the increase again, which just blows my mind. but i definalty think that if these employers pay a fair wage then "legal" americans would do the jobs.

my husband also mentioned to me that these illegals can jus tmake up a social security number and use it, adn the employers have no way to find out if it's legal or even thiers. they just use it, no penalty until they get caught. thanks alot people in the white house... a simple 800 number could solve that problem

6:59 AM  
Blogger neal said...

I also work with alot of folks from other countries at the fruit packing place I am employed at. They do have a much better work ethic than many of the born and raised Americans here. My wife also has a very strong work ethic also.

I also know what it is like doing back breaking work. I do it daily and at 47 I pay for it every morning when I wake up. I also know that I have a family to support so I do my job without complaining about it. That is another thing I don't see among many of us Americans, especially the younger ones.

I think the employers who hire these illegal workers should pay them a fair wage for the work they do, but even the minimum wage is not enough to get by on in todays economy. I make quite a bit more than minimum wage yet if I were to try to find a new home on my salary I would have to buy a shed from my local hardware store and erect that as my place of domicile. I do not understand how housing can be so high yet the income levels so low. So even if we paid these workers minimum wage they still would not be able to live a lifestyle that is equal to what many of us live now.

It is a complicated issue and I don't think there is an easy fix to it. I just don't think that anyone who sneaks into this country is automatically deserving of the privilages this country has to offer. Try sneaking into any other country and applying for social services.

I was in Kuwait and there are many third world workers there. They are paid substandard wages and treated like second class citizens. In Italy if you are not Italian and you go to school there you don't have Italian as a second language teachers to help you get by. You either speak Italian or you don't learn.

So if someone comes to this country and wants to work they should be entitled to. I just don't think they deserve any special benefits that cost us extra in tax dollars.

I could go on but I am going to be late for work if I do. So once again...nuff said.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

mb~
Tell me about the *funny* SS numbers. As the owner of a restaurant (in a former time) I had to keep track of the SS numbers, and keep a picture of it on file if INS were to ever visit. One that struck me as *funny* was: 0987654321. How obvious was that one?

And I do agree about the minimum wage problem. How could anyone expect to live on $5.35 an hour? (I think that's still the current wage). My son makes $6.50 an hour and can barely make his insurance payments, as well as pay for school... his insurance is $1,800 a year, and school is about the same. I told him that he was also responsible for his cell phone, and any personal items (suntan lotion, toiletries, etc) as well.
He's lucky I'm a softee.. because I still don't charge him rent.

However, I feel for him and his generation.... because no matter how hard it was for me at that age, they will have it harder still.

BTW~ Mexicos President is Vincente Fox (you just can't make that up)... and he's smooching with our President now over how to handle the *problem*. (cough cough) Seems like the henhouse is being guarded by the *fox* LOL!

************

neal~
I live in an area that puts up new neighborhoods daily that run into the mid $3-$500's. How do these people afford these *simple abodes*? And it's not like you live in that kind of a house and NOT have a personal gardener and maid. These people must be mortgaged up to their eyeballs in debt.... yet their kids have the best of everything. Just what exactly are they teaching their kids?

My son was overly embarrassed that we live in a modest home in a modest neighborhood, and I told him that that's how life is sometimes.... as far as I was concerned I was just happy to be living in a HOME, and not an apartment or trailer park. If he had a better offer, he knew where the door was. He is beginning to understand a little better now that he's out in the workforce, and has to shell out money for the things he wants. This money tree (me) only had so many dollars on it.

And how true about getting other countries to subsidize you if you live there.... they'd be laughing you right out the front door, after they called their immigratrion office to turn you in.

*****************************

Back to the articles~

America is a nation of caring and giving people, just don't test us too long before we are tired of your needs and wants. We are willing to give as much as we can, but a concerted effort is expected in return.... and this goes to the people who were naturalized or not.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home