Monday, March 20, 2006


all in a days work........

This morning when the alarm rang at 4:30 AM, I knew that no matter how hard I wanted to cover up and snuggle back in.... the shower was calling my name, and I needed to be on the road by 5:30, heading to my kitchen to make breakfast for my clients. I abhor the hours I keep sometimes, as they are not normal... but then there are days when I have the best hours in the world.

By 9:30 AM, I was already headed back to my office (home) after delivering two breakfasts, running to the bank and stopping by the post office. Day over, right? Well, not really, now I have to spend the rest of the day sitting by the phone, checking e-mail, and looking through the list of chores to see what can be accomplished early for some future jobs. It's all a matter of perspective and looking at the larger picture, than it is to pick a few random over-worked days to complain about. Some days are so quiet, that I can stay home and man the phone in my jammies; others have me going across town two or three times to prep and deliver food. Somehow, it all seems to equal out, though.

Usually I try to run my errands so that they coincide with areas that I will be in (except my *jammie* days), and I feel that I bring new meaning to the phrase "multi-tasking". While running here, there and everywhere, I also have to manage the phone remotely. This means that I need to check messages left on voice mail in my spare time between deliveries, or even answer my cell phone on the road, as my cell number is at the end of my VM message for the office. It amazes me what some clients will and will not consider an emergency when they call me on my cell. But that's ok, that's my job to coach them through.... while being ever so careful to keep my eyes on the road at the same time.

The days I do get to stay home (even though I am technically working; jammies or not) I am on the computer. I have become fascinated by all the neat and cool things I have right at my fingertips. If I want to look up anything, the web supplies me with all the resources I need to get the information. I have become hooked.... much to the surprise of everyone I know. So much so that I really have to pull myself away from the computer even if I've been in front of it for hours on end. I wasn't like this six months ago, until I started blogging. Now I sit chained, going from one new friend to another... checking back to see any new responses, while surfing around to come up with something new to talk about myself. Oy! The whirlwind involved... but so addicting at the same time!

I've always been the type of person to clear my desk at the end of a shift, even if that shift is 18 hours long. I like a clean slate to work with, and rarely leave anything for the next day.... if I don't have to. Lately my daily list has included blogging. I don't feel pressured into posting every day, but I do find that I need my regular fixes of reading as soon as I get near the computer. With everything else I do, "blog fixes" rejuvinate me, as well as keep me in touch with some of the nicest people I've ever spoken to. I may be exhausted by the end of the work day, but I always make it to the blogs to get my daily dose of reading and learning, laughs and giggles. Since I don't trust my brain to always come up with a response, after a long day, I'll save that for when I can think better.... or at least make cohesive sentences. No matter what, I always read. To me, it's all in a days work.

post script~ I've been experiencing problems with blogger lately, but not sure if everyone else is too. When I try to get to my favorite reads, I am hit with a big *403 FORBIDDEN* from blogger. A few days back, I was having problems uploading a picture onto my own site, then spell check went out. It seems that one problem after another keeps popping up, then fixes itself, then re-appears again. Hmmmmm.... I'm still a novice to this, but I'm at a loss to figure out if it's something I'm doing wrong, or is blogger just being stubborn. (I did run Norton, just to be sure I didn't have a virus.)

So I will apologize in advance if you run across mis-spellings or any other funny stuff I didn't catch before posting this.... as well as apologize to my favorites for not getting onto their sites to leave comments. It's not that I haven't been trying... it's just it's been added to my "new things to fix" as part of todays work.

10 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

You are not the only that has been having blogger issues. I think that mine are resolved now and my blog can be checked now. *I hope*.

Oh and 4:30 am is just wrong.

Scott

2:53 PM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

Hey...I have blogger issues too.

I would love to be at home in my jammies right now just sleeping the day away, I am tired.

Don't worry about typos...it happens!!

Hope you get to sleep in tomorrow!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

scott~
I couldn't even get into your blog, but that resolved itself yesterday... so far at least. I am now having problems getting into others... or if I do make it in, then I can't get to their comment section. AARRGG!!!

Yeah... sometimes it really is sad when you have to get up BEFORE the birds. Even they are smart enough to sleep in longer. Haha!

***********

Bar Bar a~
I began to think it was just me with the issues, but started to realize that there were a lot more people who were dealing with them besides me. Funny thing is... being a novice still, I tend to think it's something I did.

I'm looking forward to sleeping in till 6 AM... yippee!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

sounds like we're in a very similar situation, work and blog-wise. ;o)

6:23 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

saur~
I am especially mad at blogger because your site is one that's giving me many problems. At first I couldn't get in... then I could, but could not get to comments. If I did make it to comments, I couldn't think fast enough to say anything, and would settle you in, but then was banned again from getting back. AARRGG!! (I share the same problem with *25-year plan*, and it's really beginning to tick me off!)

Being an owner of a business does have it's share of ups and downs and all-arounds, doesn't it? It's what makes us stronger, right?

6:52 PM  
Blogger X said...

ogger is giving me problems too. Sometimes I can't access my comments section, and more recently I can't upload pics. I uploaded one and the thing crapped out on me.

I love jammies/jogging pants days. I haven't had many of them lately...because of retarded hours, but will be back there soon. I'm counting the days! :)

3:34 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

K.~
Well, one relief is that I know it's not something I did but rather *bl-ogre's* problem. I also cannot upload pictures... and when I try it takes the last picture I had and puts it up again.
My spell-check is totally out, and I am frustrated by the moment.
This all gives new meaning to the adage: you get what you pay for... nothing.

Yeah, gotta love jammie days, huh?

5:20 AM  
Blogger wes said...

I've been getting the 'Forbidden' message a lot too, even when I go onto my own blog. But it only happens once, the second time I try, it works. So if you get that message, just try again, it should work. I have never had problems putting pics on my blog though, I use Flickr, so that might be why.

I feel the same way about the regular reads. I feel disconnected if I don't check out other blogs at least once during the day. Even when I should be working on my term paper, which is right now, I am out in the blogosphere reading and commenting. Its fun, its become a part of my day that I always enjoy and look forward too. Keep up with the good work! :)

5:04 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ya blogger's been the "Bugger" lately! My last post with the Gazeebo pic took over 15 tries to get both pix up, over a 2 day period! They also had over 700 people locked out of their access to their blogs n readers too- according to Neo, who was one for the same 2 days... seems better now at least, hope it's temporary-

Def NOT you!

2:42 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

wes~
I did try many times over to get into sites, and finally realized that it was better if I just walked away from the computer, and took out the dust rag or vacum... where I could be of more use. It seems like I've been neglecting my housecleaning lately... and I used to clean everyday. Can you say OCD? Haha!

I've transferred my compulsive orders to the computer. The dust can wait... it's not going anywhere, right? My "reads" have completely taken over.

Good luck with the term papers, and I agree with you.... Microsoft should be working on a program to just get them written for you. Hahaha!

************

snaggle~
What a relief to know that it's not my inabilities at work here as far as the "forbidden" access. Of course, that's not good for everybody else either.

I did notice when I read your post one day, it had changed the next to include a picture of Mischief. I figured that you had problems too, and it wasn't because of your computer... but rather blogger.

Speaking of kitty's.... did you see the news yesterday where the cat that got stuck up in the tree for 8 days finally reached a branch that was too light for her weight, and landed 80 feet down?
She's on the news today, and they say she's alright... just a little dehydrated according to the vet.
Holy moley, what a sight to see her land on the ground.... only a cat could do that (or a squirrel).

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home