Tuesday, February 28, 2006

looking for spring.......

As we approach the end of winter, we look to the earth to give us signs that a rebirth is imminent. It is only a matter of time and patience before the first trees and bulbs sprout, and we are able to leave our homes without the customary heavy coats. We are in ourselves, are our own groundhogs who peek out the front doors of our homes to see if the temperatures are not too frigid, while not really caring if we see our shadows or not.

This winter proved to be a mix bag of temperatures for the South. We experienced many more days that were fair than those that were cold; so much so, that the trees were tricked by the mildness and began to bud early. Bulbs that layed in wait, peeked through their winter beds and decided that the time was right to come out altogether. There were no hard freezes, no snow to speak of, and most days didn't feel like winter. Oh sure, we had a few days that some flurries made their presence known, but it never lasted more than a few minutes, and it never gathered on the ground before the sun came out and melted the remnants away.

Our groundhog, General Lee, came out on February 2nd, and it was declared that winter was over as he never saw his shadow. Seeing that it was an overcast day, I'm not the least bit surprised.... but then I never really bought into that theory anyway. I look to the ground, but not for shadows. When I see the carpet of violets that invade my yard, or the crab grass stalks that shoot for the sun, I know we are well on our way to breaking the cycle of cold.

I can't rely on the daffodils that come up, as they are early risers anyway.... the show-offs of my gardens. Wanting as much attention as they can get, they raise out of their long slumber and stretch their green leaves skyward in late January. I'm always tempted to pick them, as their fragrance is uberpresent in any room you put them in. However, they do not last long in a vase, and they look so much nicer in the yard, giving the brown of winter the splash of color it so desperately needs. Along with the pansies and kale that love the cold weather, you'd almost never believe that it is winter if you were looking at a picture..... that is until spring comes along.
These brave winter plantings give way to the impatiens, dianthus and mums that seem to come up on their own.

All that said though, we do have to wait for that last hard freeze to come along. It is very important to the South to have one, as it helps to kill the nests of mosquitoes (our state bird) that have been hibernating as well. Without one, the summer is intolerable, and any unprotected skin receives bumps and welts that itch more with every scratching. Wearing bug repellent along with skin protection becomes the new perfume of the late spring/ early summer season... for without it, you run the risk of contracting encephalitis or lyme disease.

Spring also brings on the tornado season, which leads into hurricane season. Although we do not necessarily have to worry about hurricanes, the last two years have proven to be cautious for us on the ones that come up through the Gulf. We may not experience them on their full force, but we do receive the rains, high winds, and evacuees clearing to safer grounds. Our gas prices sky-rocket, shelves in stores are emptied in preparation, and nervous store owners gouge the prices out of us. We saw this firsthand during Katrina when gas prices topped over $4.00 in some places.

So with all the things that happen down here in Spring, why would a New England girl want to move into such an area? Well..... because the winters are mild, and I don't ever have to shovel.
Summer is a given that it's ok to move a little slower, as it's just too hot to move fast; and Autumn is golden. Spring, on the other hand.... well.... it's the lacing of color that spreads across the landscape. You don't even have to look for it.... it's in front of you, even if it's only for a short time. It's a rejuvenation of life in the grandest of splendors, and the earth smells good if you can make it past the green/ yellow pollen that blankets everything in sight. The only time you actually have to look for Spring in the South is at the end of winter, for when it's here in full force.... there's no denying it's personality.

13 Comments:

Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

Very nice. I love the South. Unfortunately I have never had the opportunity to spend an extended period of time there. Certainly not long enough to experience the changing of the seasons in all their granduer. Perhaps someday, until then I can experience it through your words...


~Mike

12:56 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Our groundhog picked the extra six weeks of winter here, and he was in fact correct. It has been a cold and snowy February.

Nice post though.

D

1:16 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

mike~ It took me awhile to get past the culture shock, but I've come to adopt Atlanta and the south as if I were born here. This is not to say that my New England blood does not rise to the occasion in the summer, as it can be pretty oppressive here in that season.... and I do miss being by the ocean where I grew up on Long Island Sound.

Someday, I'll post pictures that I downloaded from that cute little town. As you can see, I have lived a pretty charmed life.... it's only taken me years to appreciate it. It's like you said in your post today: not sure what got you here, but are thankful it is to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

scott~ I did hear about your groundhog. It must have been a sunny day when he emerged from his burrow.

I've never been to Toronto, per se, but have been to the Canadian Falls, Quebec and New Foundland. They are very pretty areas, and well tended. We Americans could learn a few lessons!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To all~ sorry about the weak post today, I'm just getting overly anxious for the nice weather to settle in so I can open up my windows full time and air out the winter doldrums.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - So are groundhogs good eaten? ;)

I can't speak for the south, but Philly has been so freaking cold for the last week!

Oh man when that wind hits your face you freeze instantly. Hope spring gets here quick!

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

9:02 PM  
Blogger neal said...

I know what you mean about the winter tricking trees and other plants out of dormancy.

My hobby is bonsai it is as much a science as it is an art form. Trees need to be taken from their pots every so often and the roots pruned and then repotted into fresh soil. This is one of the things that keep them healthy. Unfortunately this is supposed to be done with two conditions. One is that the buds on deciduous trees have begun to swell but not yet broken out into leaves. The second is that you are past the last frost.

Well my trees all have leaves now, even my oaks which are always the last to break buds. So now I face the risk of setting this years growth back if I do any transplanting now or even later. The energy spent on growing will most likely be spent on the roots recovering. If I do get any growth at all it will be minimal at best.

On the upside the mild winter has been kind to my arthritic shoulder...

9:49 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

We are proud of our South aren't we. It is a beautiful time of the year. Although, I can never decide which season I like the best. I think as each one nears it's end, I am excited and anxious about the next season to arrive. Yes, it is almost certain we will have at least one more freeze, so we cannot put away our winter clothes yet.
That is a beautiful picture, reminds me of a Monet.

12:32 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~ I hear they taste like chicken... haha! Only kidding, of course.
I've been watching the weather on the east coast, and do not envy the cold you are getting, especially since it is going to be in the 70's today. Oh well, spring will be here soon enough, huh? Stay warm, sweetie!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

neal~ How fascinating about your bonsai trees. I've been a gardener for years, and plant lover even longer, but could never master the art of bonsai growing.
I hear you need a lot of patience and TLC to keep them healthy. I hope that they don't take too much of a hit with the weather being so weird this year.
On the plus side, that's good news about your shoulder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lee ann~ Yes we do love our seasons... except maybe those HOT summers. Thank goodness for the invention of central air.
My favorite seasons are Spring and Autumn... as the air is mild, and the colors fabulous.

Glad that you like the little picture. A friend of mine pulled up my blog while we were on the phone and said that she wanted a bridge like that in her yard. I laughed and agreed. Wouldn't that look nice in my garden! (I do have a bridge, but it's not that nice.)

7:43 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I love living here. You're right, the winter was so mild and inviting. I've been able to keep my windows open for most of the time, which is nice since I'm still combating ...er... dead rats. Bleah.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

saur~ Oh my... the smell of dead rats is deafening to the nostrils isn't it? You poor thing... they are nasty little buggers!

I've been enjoying the mildness of the winter, but am afraid that we have one big freeze in store, which will kill off my buds.
One year we actually did have a blizzard in March... but that was about 11 years ago or so.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

awww...spring and warm weather! What I would give! Tomorrow we are supposed to have 3-6inches of snow! How much more??!

8:25 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

city~ mantra for the day: Spring is almost here... Spring is almost here....
I hate to even tell you that it was in the 70's today. Red Buds and Pear trees are in bloom, the grass is bright green and... oh I'll just shut up here.
Sending sunshine feelings your way, sweetie!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Last time I drove through that way was '01 in December. Wow, I'd prob contract a bug-disease around there, cause I can't use any bug-repellant (allergic)
I get to wear more clothes-

Neal has tree-leaves out already?

OK, before I saw this post, I wrote about the 1st n the ground hog -very briefly, also !
What a coinkydink!

3:36 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

snaggle~ No doubt the bugs would attack you full force if you didn't have the repellant on.

Are you allergic to citronella candles? Hubby always has one going when working in the garage with the door open. He has tender skin and has to watch out for poison ivy as well. He can contract it just by thinking about it. Needless to say we have plenty of calomine lotion and bug repellant around.

I found another true sign of the season change yesterday when birds moved into my driftwood birdhouse and started feathering their nest. Also.... the ice cream man was making his rounds in the neighbothood.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home