Wednesday, February 15, 2006

the golden door.......

Over 400 years ago, a small atoll in Upper New York Bay was known as Gull Island by the Mohegan Indians who inhabited the area. It only measured between two to three acres, and had a habit of vanishing under risings tide waters. Around 1628, it was discovered that the beds surrounding the island were rich in oysters; and it's name was changed to reflect it's "riches". Following the hanging of Anderson the Pirate in 1765, the island was once again renamed as Gibbet Island, after the instrument used to hang Anderson. Twenty years later a man named Samuel Ellis bought the property, and renamed it once more. It would never change names again, and it is affectionately known as Ellis Island today.

It would pass through several of the Ellis descendants before it was purchased by the state of New York, then resold to the federal government in 1808 for a mere $10,000.00. Fort Gibson would be erected on the site between the years of 1812 to 1814. By 1861 the government would dismantle Fort Gibson, and in 1876 Ellis Island would serve as a munitions depot till 1890.
This very same year, Ellis Island was chosen to be the new screening station for all immigrants
entering the United States. Castle Garden, the original station, was no longer able to handle the flow of immigrants, so Ellis Island was increased to 3.3 acres, and had a new ferry slip built to accommodate the steady stream of new "Americans".

Within two years, Ellis Island would be increased once more to the size of 14 arces. Not only would it hold an immigration depot, but support buildings as well. Due to the stricter inspection policies, it became evident by 1897 that a dormitory was needed to house new immigrants until they could be cleared for entry into the states. Then a fire broke out which destroyed almost everything, save a few buildings, before they could erect the new dormitory. The island was forced to shut down while everyone went back to the drawing board. By 1898 a new plan was formed and construction was started. Ellis Island would be increased once more to the size of 17 acres, and a second island was built using the rock and earth taken from New York subway tunnels and Grand Central Station evacuations. On December 17, 1900, the doors to the new registry halls were opened once more. It would resemble the likenesses of train stations, which were accustomed to handling many people at one time as well as cargo. A third island was built using the same process as island 2. It would measure five acres and included a bridge that connected it to island 2. These islands would house hospitals, kitchens, a baggage station, an electrical plant, a bath house, as well as dormitories.

For 64 years, over 17 million people walked through the doors of this magnificent building until even harsher immigration laws and a steady decrease was forced to close it down in 1954. People came from all countries, all walks of life, and all with their own dreams of becoming rich in the "new country". It was what they were told was the golden door to a new and improved life. What they would come to find out was that the streets were not paved in gold, and most likely they would be the ones to help pave the streets.

My maternal Grandparents would be two of those people who would enter into the United States by boat from Italy. They came at separate times in the early 1900's; still young in age, and would eventually become part of an arranged marriage, or else Grandma would have entered into a nunnery.
Grandpa would open his own shoe repair business as he was a skilled cobbler, and Grandma would raise two children, cook, clean, and generally be just a housewife. They never really got used to being here, even though they lived in America almost 80 years... and they would only be able to return back to Italy once. This time they would fly over the Atlantic instead of going by boat. I don't remember too many stories of their original trip, as they didn't talk about it much, but do remember that they always referred to Italy as the "old country".

I only had to imagine how strange it might have been for them to embark on this venture to the "new country". How confusing things might have been dealing with different laws, different customs and different languages. Our country was younger then by almost 100 years. Some of the things we are so comfortable with today did not exist, or even become a thought till after my grandparents were fully bedded down in this new country. Believe it or not, even indoor plumbing was considered a luxury at that time. Refrigerators were "iceboxes", and oil lamps lit more rooms than electricity did.

They were lucky, as some of their relatives had come here first, so they had someone to come over to; a point of reference, as it were. Still, there would be no turning back as passage was considered a one-way deal. Their freedom was considerably haltered by no money to return. It was a brave adventure, with no promises, only hopes and dreams. At that time, you just learned to make do with what you had, and moved into a neighborhood that spoke the same language as you. You found a job, got married, and raised a family. It was a simple equation that ended with grandchildren, and little more was expected of you. They were fortunate to live into their 90's, and see eight grandchildren as well as 7 great- grandchildren. The last great grandchild was born after my Grandmother passed away in 1995.

So for the most part, my grandparents lived an American dream; which was only that they owned land, raised a family, and quite worrying about streets that were not paved in gold. As long as they got the first two things right, they felt they had done the job they were supposed to do. Simpler times, simpler equations... and the golden door that led them on that path so many years ago.

15 Comments:

Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Great post!

How much times have changed since then huh?

Now the fees to become a working citizen have been raised to a point where nobody that isn't rich from another country can afford to come here and work; well, minus the people from mexico.

That is a great story about your grandparents! Thanks for sharing!

I didn't know that much history about Ellis Island.

Thanks!

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

7:49 PM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

Ellen you always have the best stories. Great history you know also!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Neo~ Ah yes, the new fees to come live here now. Times sure have changed. The difference is that you have more possibilities to go back than ever before. They only had one rite of passage for their time as there were no planes yet.

Someday, I would like to go to Ellis Island to check out the museum, etc. I've heard that it's fascinating!

Of course, I have to drive right through Philly to do it......
I haven't had a good cheesesteak in a long time! Haha!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Citysoul~ Thanks for stopping by!
I watched a story on the History Channel (my favorite) at 6 am today. It had me thinking about my grandparents and their trip over so long ago. It made me want to research they journey.

Thanks so much for the kind words!

8:20 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Very nicely said, as usual. Your Grandparents among many others were very brave souls. I am glad they lived the American dream.

Really enjoyed it Ellen!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Lee Ann~ Thanks, sweetie! It's amazing to think how much life has changed from that time. If you ever saw the movie Titanic, that would have been close to the time my grandparents had immigrated to America.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Very interesting stuff. I love history like that. Have you ever been to visit to see where you grandparents arrived?

Scott

9:21 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Great post! Have you ever been there? I've always wanted to go!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - I'm buying! Ellis island has a nifty website, you should check it out sometimes.

xoxo

- Neo

7:32 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I bet it's not so easy to be let into the USA these days!
Lucky you know what they went through, to best appreciate what you have because of it...

My great-grands both sides who I never met were immigrants here from Canada, their grands were from Europe

They were lucky the basics of life were enough in their society, with the way we all have to run-around to stay alive here,,,

4:19 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

I tried all day yesterday to comment back, but had numerous problems with blogger.... so here goes, with fingers crossed that it will publish:

scott & saurkraut~ No, I've never been, but always wanted to go. From 1954 till the early 80's, Ellis was shut down and went into complete dis-repair. By the time they restored it, I had already moved down to Atlanta. It is on the list of places I would like to tour though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ej~ How very true about the expectations as well as the landscapes changing. Can you imagine living in a world that had horse & buggy and trains as the only mode of transportation, then living long enough to see a man walk on the moon?
I feel for you about your fridge issues. I have two in my home, and still find that I run out of room from time to time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

neo~ You're on!
I did go to the site before I posted, as I was interested in a little research myself... also I was trying to find the lists to see if I could find my grandparents names. I wasn't willing to sign into their "join up and pay" program at this time. My brother did get to visit the island a few years back and was able to locate my grandfathers name, but not my grandmothers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

snaggle~ I never felt the appreciation growing up, but understand it fully now; especially since they had lived through some very rough times...
the depression, 2 world wars (in which my grandmother lost a brother), and the left over victorian rules of their time.

They truly learned to live with the basics and were happy that they were healthy, and belonged to big families as a support system.
If you think back to that time, modern meds weren't even part of their lives, they had to rely on old methods of teas and asperin.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Ah ok, I wouldn't wanna pay for the info either. Most of those old records aren't online, it's a basic shipping manifest deal. One of these days I have to get around to visiting the statue of liberty; if for nothing else than wondering what liberty used to be eh?

Peace,

- Neo

10:01 AM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Sorry to hear blogger gave ya the biz again, how aggrivating! I was wondering if you were super work busy again!
I always wanted to see the statue of Liberty in person too. I flew over it once, it was itty-bitty!
I like archtecture n sculpture-

7:22 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~ I have been to the Statue of Liberty twice. Once was on a class trip, the other independently with hubby and son. I have some pictures of me holding Chris and the towers are in the background. It's kinda spooky looking at them now.

Yeah, if you ever get the chance, it is a cool place to visit. You get there by ferry.... kinda of made me think of how the ancestors first experienced it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

snaggle~ Yeah, not sure what the problem is. I shut it down and ran virus scan just to be on the safe side. It seems to have helped. We'll see if this comment goes through to prove it.

I've flown over the statue a couple of times, but wasn't always on the correct side of the plane to see it. My favorite is the site from the ferry.

Hope you're staying warm up there, sweetie! I've been keeping my eye on the weather.... seems like you're getting a frigid system. Hope you and MB have a great visit together! I told her to send hugs from me.

8:09 PM  
Blogger neal said...

I particularly can relate to this part of your post, "I only had to imagine how strange it might have been for them to embark on this venture to the "new country".

My wife, Filipina, was with me at Clark Air Base in the Philippines when the base commander decided for their own safety all dependants should be evacuated from the Philippines to the U.S. to avoid a potential eruption of Mount Pinatubo. My wife had never been outside her country before. She was 6 months pregnant. Yet she traveled to this country alone not to know how soon again she would see me.

I also went to Spain for the Air Force and when I got there no one was there to meet me, nobody even knew of the base I was supposed to be assigned to. I felt lost and alone. So I can relate. Again, great post. Keep em coming...

10:02 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neal~ I didn't travel as far as everybody else, but I did leave my family and friends in New England to move down to Atlanta. I had no job lined up, and only $1,000.00 in my pocket. I loaded up my little Toyota, and hoped for the best. I was lucky that I did have one friend who had already moved down her, but the rest was up to me. I've been down here since 1983, and still love it to this day!

I feel for your wife though... that must have been very difficult for her. I'm glad she did get out for her sake though, as there have been many problems that have erupted in the Phillipines lately.
Did any of her family members live anywhere near the mud slide area?

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home