Sunday, January 29, 2006

setting a good example.....

Life skills, a good work ethic, and good manners were tops in my parents teachings... and I think they did a pretty good job, now that I look back. They were grooming us to be responsible adults, as this was the most important lesson they could give us before we all flew the coop. We were taught to respect authority, lend a helping hand to neighbors, and emphasize with those less fortunate. They had no worries we would get into trouble in public, as that was just not tolerated. We were told that nobody liked brats, so we did our best not to be labeled as such, and we were fortunate for that foundation that my parents found so important in our upbringing.

In respecting authority, we were made to believe that there were rules you lived by... most of them moral, and ones that eased society to trust you. Out of respect, we learned to trust, and vice versa. It's not to say that we became "stepford children", only that respect, trust and honor are important qualities of character. With them, you set a good example, without them, you are nothing more than a common coward.

We've come to a crossroad in our judicial system that brings up the question of trust... that being the issue of whether it is illegal to wiretap conversations. We all want to trust the government to know what's best for us, the rules of the Constitution dictate that, and it's an oath that every person who enters a high level position must swear to. Lately, I'm not too sure that these people we put into position are reading the same document that we are. If they are, is it being interpreting to serve their own agenda? .... a question conspirators could write books about with our present administration.

Personally, I could care less if I were wiretapped or not. The best they could come away with is a few recipes, gardening tips, or how busy I am. But, I'm not the point. The point is the document that put this country together, our Constitution. How are we honoring are basic beliefs in a system, and cajoling other countries to the democratic process if we allow a few good old boys to circumvent the system without a proper vote from the American public.

If we want to change the Constitution, we have the ability. That was part of all the checks and balances that were put together in the first place. We have 27 amendments as proof of that. I'm not saying we should or shouldn't, it's just that the possibility exists, and the right channels are in order to do it properly. A President and his administration cannot act without it, according to our system. Last I knew, the United States wasn't considered to have a dictatorship rule, and the current administration is beginning to make me feel like it just might be.

I'm not any happier knowing that there are ten dirty bombs missing in the stockpile of dirty bombs they have inventoried, and I'm still a chicken to fly after 9/11. I wouldn't mind ridding the earth of vermin who terrorize and torture, and see some of the reasoning behind the wiretapping. But I'm not in charge, and if I were, I'd still have to follow the rules of engagement.... that's the way the democratic process works. However, we need to do it in a way that does not ally our fears, but works for the common good now as well as for the future generations behind us.

We were shaken after the events in 2001, the London, Madrid, and Bali bombings, along with countless other acts of terrorism we haven't even experienced yet. It would be nice to know where these cowards are hiding, as we all fear for our safety. After all, most people who were personally affected by these horrible acts, were just minding their own business when encountering the attacks. They were not in an official war zone, so this leads you to think that you are not safe anywhere.
That said, I feel like the current administration is using those fears to put forth an agenda that will set precedence into opening up a can of smelly worms. After reading Saurkrauts blog and taking my time to really think it over (along with discussions with many people over the subject), I came to the conclusion that we are not always smart in our voting. We have voted in idiots before, and currently we have an administration we're not too trusting with. What if somewhere down the line we elected in someone worse? What's to say they couldn't interpret the law to fit their own benefits. I think that idea scares me more.

We live in a world where we feel our trust has been betrayed; not that this isn't the first time. We need our government to show us true leadership, and something to believe in again. We are a good and decent people, and we need to show our country that we have strength in numbers. Above all, we shouldn't be enlightened enough to know how dumb we are, as it is our duty to keep all the checks and balances in order. After all, WE are our government, and it's time we realized that there is power in voting. (My suggestion as far as the voting process goes would be to rid the electoral college, and go for the highest number.... but that's another post.)

What makes our country great is the freedom to discuss these issues without fear of landing in jail as a "political" prisoner. We are fortunate for the first amendment where that is concerned. We are also fortunate that we live in a country that is not ruled by dictatorship.... but if we aren't careful in our discussions of issues, and allow the fears of a shaky administration to dictate our laws and thinking, it is only a matter of time that the building blocks of our government will crack. There is power in voting, and it's not just a privilege or a right, it is a duty.

15 Comments:

Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

Excellent! Absolutely! I could not agree more. I am reminded of a quote from one Mr. Benjamin Franklin:

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security.

I have some similar thoughts on my blog today.

~mike

8:26 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Mike- I just went over, read your post, and left a long comment on your blog. I might have gotten a little carried away... so I apologize for the length.

Thank you for your kind words here.
This is a very controversial issue, and I hope the American public doesn't just sweep it under the carpet. What we do today has a definite impact on our children.
Besides loading my child up with life skills, I would like to hand him a world I didn't prostitute away.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I've been upset about the Patriot act extension since they first passed it, because that started the too much power at the top problem, n took too much power away from the voters, we never got to decide any of it-
emergency powers were never meant to stretch indefinately! five years went by already!!
The law was never even amended as it needed long ago-
Nice BF quote Mr A!
The leaders certainly aren't setting a decent example lately!

1:30 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I agree with this 100%. Beautifully written! Excellent post!

And it also sounds as if we had the same childhoods...

8:37 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Very well said. It seems as though alot of things have changed in the last few years. Sadly though when it comes to voting I fear without a way to audit each vote to ensure no hanky panky has occurred we will continue to see a line of corrupt self serving greedy bastards in power.

If we are to set an example to the rest of the world over what a democracy is, we'd better start remembering what it is ourselves.

Stalin said. "Those who cast the votes control nothing, it's those that counts the votes that decide everything.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

11:21 AM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

Here! Here! Good Post!

P.S. You've been tagged! Please see my last post for details. ;o)

12:46 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle- I wonder if GWB ever thought to update the Patriot Act. Perhaps his mouthpieces forgot that one little item in their plan of the "war on terrorism".
You are indeed correst... seems like too much power at the top, and we all know where that leads.

Saurkraut- Thanks! You were my inspiration on this one, as you made me realize that I needed to take a stand.
As I mentioned in my post, I don't care if they planned to wiretap me... I've got nothing to hide anyway. But there was a bigger picture involved that I finally came to see.

Neo- Oh how I love that quote from Stalin. It reminds me of a discussion that I had with a girlfriend this weekend over this issue. She lives in Florida, and is not too happy with Jeb down there. She essentially said that it was the counters we need to look after, not the voters themselves. How true after the 2000 election, huh?

Jin- I will get on it! Just not too sure I can tag 8 other people, as they'd probably string me up!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Yup! Especially when the votes are counted by machines! Everyone knows computers can be hacked an manipulated!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Neo- LOL!.... hmmmmm, we should have called you in 2000.... with all that expertise you possess! (haha!.... only kidding, of course.)

Seriously though, I often wonder about that final count in FLA... seems pretty fishy to me when your brother is GOV, and good friend is one of the counters......

4:52 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Very good post! One thing hit home was when you said there is power in voting.
You are absolutely right!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Lee Ann- You'd be surprised at how many people I know who feel just the opposite of that statement, and refuse to take a few minutes out of their day to vote. Their battlecry: "I never get anyone in that I like anyway" or "my vote doesn't count, so why bother". Oh how wrong they are!

When you go into the voting booth, their are plenty of other things on a personal level concerning your town or state that you need to vote on as well. It could be something as simple as leash laws.

These nay-sayers will never get the chance to know that, as they are too wrapped up in their own lives. What's to say that 100 more votes in Florida wouldn't have changed the outcome of the 2000 election?

6:43 AM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

Ellen, you are one smart lady, great post.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Citysoul- Thank you! I've never considered myself very smart, but like to listen to all views and weigh all the differences before coming to an opinion....unless it is an obvious conclusion.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - What uncounted vote? (throwing ballot boxes into the ocean)

3:03 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Neo- LOL!!! You are so funny!
I popped this up and was reading it while on the phone to a customer. My cheeks got quite a biting to keep me from bursting out in laughter.

My girlfriend in FLA used the analogy of "tripping near the dumpster" when it came to the 2000 election count.

xo

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home