Monday, January 23, 2006

old school, new times.....

Today, everything comes with a set of instructions; which I do believe are available only to confuse matters even more.... well, at least for me anyway. In reading the manuals, I find myself hopelessly lost looking for the right buttons to set, or correct plug-in spots... or anything that makes me think outside of the book. Somehow Murphy's Law applies to me whenever I try to do anything mechanical. It's information overload to me, and I'd rather just have someone else do it while I watch. Hand me food, a recipe and a pan, and I can taste it before I even start to cook it. Hand me anything mechanical, and I'm just a blubbering fool. I have to read the instructions over and over, and still have no idea what to do to achieve the results I need. Everything is mechanical, and I'm still "old school" in some areas.

My husband laughs at me because I do not carry an ATM card, nor do I have a debit card. I still write my own checks (which even the checkout guy at the grocery store pointed and laughed at me about), and still reconcile my checkbook without going online to the bank. To my defense, at least I have Quicken on my computer, and no longer have to do it by hand.... so I've achieved some baby steps there, and my checkbook is always balanced to the penny!

When I first moved to the city in 1983, a young woman was abducted in a rather affluent part of the city. Part of the journey she had to endure that night was a trip to her ATM, as they tried to rob her first. When she fumbled and couldn't remember her passcode, they proceeded to tease and torture her.... her body was found a year later in a shallow grave. This scared me to death.... literally! I just would not get an ATM card, and to this day, still don't have one. I like writing out my own checks, and find that I force myself to write down the entry (except for that little $800.00 mistake I forgot to record ONE time). It may seem a little silly and time consuming to others, but I'm comfortable with it.

If I don't know how to do something, I have no problem asking anyone I know how to do it, or if they'd do it for me. This would include anything that has to do with electricity, plumbing, carpentry, sharp objects (except knives), and gas run vehicles. Show me what to do, and I can catch on pretty quick( somewhat), but if I had to read a manual, I'd get lost immediately. Or perhaps I just get bored fast..... my mind wanders, and I can't understand why it just doesn't work when I plug it in and push the "on" button. All this extra reading is taking up valuable time! It's not that I don't like to read, on the contrary, I just don't fare well with instruction booklets. Most times they have so many steps and paragraphs and pages that just run on and on... and sometimes not "on" enough, so I am left hanging.

When I purchased my Explorer back in 2001, I was requested by my husband to read the manual that came with it. Let me start by saying that I've never even cracked the binding of it. I just looked at him and laughed to myself thinking: Like Hell! If there's no real story, or something better to read in there, you won't catch me doing anything with it but store it in the glove compartment. He's the mechanic, not me, so I make sure it is available for him to refer to when it's needed... and I can help with an oil change. This is where we differ on issues. He can make heads and tails of the meanderings, but would forget where he set the book down; I can't decipher the book, but know where he left it.

Even my cell phone is nothing fancy. It does not take pictures, text message, or do anything other than make and take phone calls.... although I do like the feature that allows me to plug in phone numbers, saving me the time of dialing. Only problem is, the directions on how to do it have long since left my mind, and I'd have to read the instruction booklet to revise any new entry's. At this point though, I'm just relieved that I have a phone for emergencies and will leave it at that.

Maybe one day I'll rebel against my angst of all the technology "editing" and update the phone, read the Explorer manual, and go online to do banking. I will have to make sure I have someone around me that can show me the steps so I can take notes for the future forgetfulness I know I will encounter. Although I know I am too young to have "senior moments", I am beginning to experience them in my 40's.... or perhaps it's all this information overload with way too much to remember.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Ahhhh...checkbook to the penny! My kind of girl. So many places are using that debit machine on checks that it is like using an ATM card...it is instant, then they hand the check back to you for your records. Heck, at the movie theater can run your debit card, you don't have to push any code, you don't sign anything and they give you no receipt! Fancy, huh?
Scary about the girl with the ATM card.
You are funny about the speed dial numbers on your phone...then forgetting how to set it!
Ah...we all have those "senior moments"...they just seem to be coming closer together these days for me! haha

6:28 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Lee Ann- I've experienced it at a couple of places where they instantly take your money out and hand you back the check. Have to say it threw me off at first, but I managed to get it all straight. Good news, is that some places forgot to actually get the money... and it is still sitting outstanding in my checkbook. I just leave it there, as you never know when you're going to run down and be close. Out of sight, out of mind, so to speak.

About the ATM card... that seems to be the method lately for robbing people. Not having one doesn't keep me safe, but I just feel better about it. I can see sometime in the future where somebody sticks me up trying to get the card, then starts laughing at my old school ways of not having one.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Sorry for the delay, I've been in the middle of a war today; which you can probably tell.

Anyways, I know how you feel, sometimes seeing a manual in 5 different languages is a bit confusing. I'm also one that tries to put something together before bowing to the instructions.

Don't feel bad, if what you do works, stick with it. It's gotten you this far right?

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

7:52 PM  
Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and the kind words...

I too still write checks, mostly at the grocery store. I have a check card but I like using checks for my groceries because it gives my a very good record of what I spend on food. I can sort my expenses but the method of payment. It's not a perfect system, but it works for me!

Instruction manuals today are absolutely terrible. Even for those of us who are mechanically inclined, they border on baffling. I used to do a little technical writing (borrrring!) and tried to write as though the reader knew NOTHING about what I was writing about. Although not as easy as it sounds, even a little effort to this end would yield a far better manual than what is typical today.

Historically, asking for help of any kind has been difficult for me. Lately, I have found that it is not only unreasonable but impossible to do it all myself. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness but rather one of strength. After all, aren't we all in this together?

Mike

8:14 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Neo- I saw that you made a new fan today. Well, if it's any consolation... even if he did give complete instructions, I would have had a hard time finding your picture. Heck, I don't even know what the html tags are at the top of the comment box! I would have needed a link, because I would have been frustrated looking on my own.

Most of the lingo used in the blogs are way over my head. Now put it all in dictionary terms, and I'd be ok. To my defense though, I have been trying to figure it out, and am a little successful with the shortcuts of real sentences.
Silly me.....


Mike- Welcome to the garden! So glad you had a chance to stop over.

I'm so glad to see that it's not just me who thinks manuals are too wordy and boring. I was beginning to think I had a learning problem... or just to set in my ways. (I'm not too much older than you.) I turned over my DVD player to my son, because I just couldn't figure out how to use it... he had it up and running in 5 minutes

You are so right about all of us being in this together... a point well said.

Feel free to come back often!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

Ellen: all the things you're afraid of I think really do make life easier. Online banking is great to keep up with your accounts...and all the other stuff you talked about. Sometimes I think I like the way I do things, just because I'm afraid of trying a different way, that it will be too hard for me to learn. But then again, as they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's all up to you. As for all those instructions, I don't read them either, I'll try to work something on my own, if I can't do it, I'll give it to the husband.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Citysoul- My husband said the same thing as you about on-line banking, and can't understand why I don't switch over. As a matter of fact, most of my friends say the same thing. One day.....

I had to laugh when you said you turned things over to your husband, and realized that those moments are when we pull out the "girlie" card, as I am guilty of it as well.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - HA, well, most people could have figured it out with enough looking, and trust me some of them would have. Oh well, what's done is done eh?

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

8:48 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I'm usually really good at manuals n directions, but discovered recently I made an oversight not to read the vcr manual, haven't been able to program it when wanted this week, so missing all my shows... thought I had it but must be missin a step...it didn'e record!
don't know where the darn book went 3 years ago... I'll gladly read it now...

3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home