Tuesday, January 10, 2006

happy birthday karl!!!!

I wanted to post something a little different today, because it is my brothers birthday. He deserves no social commentary from me, only best wishes for a great day and a bright happy year. Karl is one sibling up from me on the roster of our family tree.... and like all good brothers, of which I have three, he has been one who soothed over various boo-boos in my life.

Back in 1998, our father was in the depths of dementia. I had called Dad to talk to him because I missed his voice. For the life of me, I couldn't get over the feeling that Dad no longer knew who I was. When I mentioned this to Karl, he assured me that of course Dad knew me, why he even mentioned that he had spoken to me. This is Karl's way of making me feel better and a little less sad. He sat next to me at the funeral and held me while I let the tears flow. No question in my mind that he is a rock.... and always had been in times when no one else was around to ground me.

I did disappoint him years ago with a certain boyfriend, who he knew was garbage. Since he could not talk ANY sense into me (nor could anyone else), he let it go, but was right there when the break-up came.... once again the rock who held my hand and saw to it that I would be alright. I already knew I was going to be alright, it was just nice to know he didn't hold my poor decision making against me. He never even said anything to me when I wanted to reconnect my relationship.... although I could see the caution in his face.

Living in Connecticut, then New Hampshire, we traveled through school together in the same grade from 4th grade on. Many people thought we were twins....no, just a poor slight of fate for him. He was gifted with a great personality, but school was not his forte' at the time. My father never pushed Karl in academics, and once told me that Karl's future was destined for some sort of military service. Dad must have had a long talk with him, for upon graduation, Karl went into the Coast Guard and used his service time to become a navigator. Here was a person who was as bad at math as myself, learning to read charts and navigate by the stars. He put in his years of service, even going to Harvard in his spare time, and still to this day is on reserve duty.

Karl is the person my Grandparents also depended on when the rest of us all got married and moved away, then had families. He lived in Boston, which was very close to where they lived, and was able to attend to their needs if they ever called him. I remember one visit I made up north in 1985. At the time, I was visiting because my best friend was getting married and I was the "matron of honor". Since the bride also was in our high school class, she invited Karl to the wedding as well. After it was all over, I drove back with Karl to Boston and stayed with him for a few days. At the time, I didn't realize I was pregnant, but remember being very sick and cranky. (First month will do that to you.) Karl thought it was a great idea to visit our Grandparents while I was there.... only problem was, a hurricane was brewing and headed for New England. We had to wait it out before we made the trek over to Cambridge to see them, and I complained the whole way back, because we could not find a taxi that would bring us. Karl..... what a trooper he was, he just let me steam off, and never said anything to shut me up. By the time we got back to his apartment, even I was sick of me. But that's the kind of guy he is with me.... always protective, always the rock.

I could tell you many stories of his antics, but I know that some of them are state secrets, and I would embarrass the heck out of him.... so suffice it to say, I am a lucky sister, and I know it. I have a wonderful family, even if we don't see each other often due to logistics. But one thing I know, I can pick up the phone anytime I want to and hear a friendly voice on the other side....be it any of my brothers who I talk with. For that, I am truly blessed.

Happy Birthday, Karl.... you are one in a million, and I am lucky to be related to you.




8 Comments:

Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I hope he reads your blog and sees how much he's appreciated!

You're Lucky to have a family that's not constantly at war with each other. My sibs have had nothing but spats since both parents have been gone. My mom was quite a moderator, now no one is.

Happy B-day 2U Karl

12:02 AM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

Happy Birthday Karl! I also hope he gets to read what you wrote...very nice Ellen.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen -HBD to him..

Neo raises his glass

Dementia is scary my friend girl's grandmother has it.

Glad you have someone like that looking out for you. He sounds like a great guy to hang with.

Btw, sorry for not commenting sooner. Today was just super hectic!

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

9:50 PM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

Damn Girl - I'm still crying. What a wonderful ode to your brother. He sounds awesome and I'm so glad that you have him in your life.

Happy Birthday to Karl! [insert corny music here]

XO

11:44 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle, Citysoul, Neo and Jin-
So sorry to have not gotten over here sooner to thank you all for the wonderful words. I've been embroiled in a long fight on my nephews blog since yesterday. I will blog about it later today so that you can read it all for yourselves.
Yup, I do have the best of families, we do have our share of in-house fighting, but know what it's like to drop it when the important stuff rolls around. I am indeed lucky to have them in my life!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen -That's what family is for. :)

7:32 PM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

There's nothing more awesome and nothing that's more of a pain in the ass - than family.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Neo & Jin- Indeed! No matter what, they're blood.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home