Tuesday, December 27, 2005

resolutions....

Ok, the biggest part of the holiday season is over. Presents bought at the last minute and wrapped in enough time to be under the tree are all opened. Surprises over some of those choices are now mainstreamed as ownership... yes, you really did get those items, even if you were or weren't expecting them... now you just need a place in your house to put said items. Of course, the gifts that were still in the mail are now being delivered to your door; a few days after the big event, but nonetheless another gift of the season. Where to go from here?

Well, New Years Day is only days away.... are you surprised that the year has gone by so fast? Join the ranks of everyone else. This year did fly by... as they all seem to do lately. Any resolutions that were made last year this time have been long forgotten, and new ones are brewing to make 2006 a better and more prosperous one for yourself and those you love. The question lingers about how to make and keep these promises without truly compromising your attitudes or try to pull off the impossible feat. Most people will pick the obvious resolutions to accomplish... such as diets, or saving money. My list was a bit more self-indulgent... and not so hard on myself to do.

1) I will remember that every person on the face of the earth is a fellow human being. Some will fall on hard times in the most unimaginable ways conceivable. To put their needs ahead of my own would be an impossible task.... so in my own way, I pray to God to lighten their suffering, and hope that life itself will help them out of their bleak situation. For those out there that prey on the good souls, I have no doubt that the karma Gods will deal with you later.

2) I will remember that every fight, war or disagreement has two sides. To make a concerted opinion or to play mediator means that I will have to hear both sides before concluding a judgment in my mind. It doesn't matter if I am right or wrong, it's what I can conceivably live with, and the best for all parties involved.

3) I will remember that I have responsibilities that have to be upheld. To be a productive person of society means that it will always take some extra effort on my part to keep my wheels unclogged, and my machine running smoothly. The day has only 24 hours in it... it's what I do with those hours that will determine my success or failure in this venture of life.

4) I will remember that a little bit goes a long way. A random act of kindness such as a smile to a stranger, can be spread as people learn to pay that forward. I've seen it.... it's not a miracle to save the world.... it's just a friendly face amongst the sea of faces we see every day. It costs nothing but it's worth is priceless.

5) I will remember to be sympathetic in trying times. Everything has it's story, whether I can relate to it or not. I will try to remember to be a shoulder, and not a foot to the mouth.

6) I will remember that I have a wonderful circle of friends and family. It takes more than a village these days, as the world has become smaller due to technology.... and I am fortunate enough to have friends and family all over the globe. Without their support, I would be alone and adrift, so I will make an effort to not let so much time evolve before I let them know how much they mean to me.

7) I will remember that all the past discretions that either I have done, or were done to me, are in the past. No sense dwelling on it.... life goes forward, and so must I. We all do things we are sorry for, or sorry that it has been done to us. The only way to correct it is to learn by it, and make a concerted effort on our part to never repeat the same mistake. Not an easy task, by far, as we get used to "learned" behavior. To me, learned behavior means you "learned" something... even if it means learning to never doing it again.

8) I will remember to be more savvy on local and world affairs, as they will always have a direct effect on myself and those I love. Besides, to make a true impact, I just need to know what's going on in an effort to see how I can be of any help. I only hope I see the difference between the real needs and the con-artists.

9) I will remember that I have to live with myself everyday... I'm the person I wake up with, and see in the mirror. I'm the person that has to make decisions, whether they are good or bad, and have to live with the consequences of those. So I am going to learn to not beat myself up so much with the bad ones.... I'm only human, and things happen.

10) And last, but not least, I will remember that everything has a purpose. Whether it is clear to me or not, I know that it will unfold itself at a later date with the intention of smoothing tempers, and calming situations. It is the ripple effect of life; full of surprises, be it good or bad,
and it's how you react to those situations that shows the true test of yourself.

So you see, these are not so impossible to uphold. Most are just random acts of kindness; no diets here (although losing a few extra pounds would be nice in the scope of things). I guess in this long monologue of "things to do in 2006", I am actually displaying a want of being a better person. It's the least I can do for my fellow man.

Peace on earth to all... and may 2006 be a good year for everyone!

8 Comments:

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Lovely resolutions.

My yearly resolution: to make none. Then, I'm never disappointed. ;o)

BTW, I've added you to my links!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Saurkraut- I used to not make resolutions either, and for the same reason. This year I decided to make them and have them more reasonable than the usual ones everybody else makes.

I caught your link, and thank you for your thoughtfulness, it's been a pleasure reading your posts and one I look forward to.

By the way, I read over at the castle that you were a Katherine Hepburn "dame".... I had no doubt whatsoever! I grew up in the same town where she lived in Connecticut, and she was quite a legend. She was also one of my favorites. Way to go, Saurkraut!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Morgs- I left a comment on your blog. Since Neo tagged me yesterday, I decided to turn it into a written post... no digi-camera to take pictures, sorry!

Glad to see you are home safe and sound... went to Starbucks in your honor this weekend, as I knew you were traveling through the state!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen -I make a resolution to drink even more this year than I did last year! ;)

Btw, I'm really sorry, check your email. *blush*

- Neo

2:04 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Wow, that is a lot of pressure on yourself. Very nice resolutions indeed.
I think I will just generalize mine this year. Try to be a better person, and live the "golden rule". I already try to live this way, but I could always be a little better.
Have a safe and wonderful new year. Maybe when I come to visit my brother, we will meet up in Atlanta some time this year.
Cheers!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Lee Ann- I'd like that very much!
I think we still have a standing date with Saurkraut as well? ... something about marguritas, wasn't it?

How does your brother like Atlanta?

9:54 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Ellen, thanks! Maybe I should re-do my blog as Katherine Hepburn, instead! ;o) Yeah, she was always my great fave.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Saurkraut- My brother knew Kate, as he is a fireman in the town where we grew up as kids. She had a little fire in her house one year and he was called in to help put it out. Within the next year or so, she donated a firetruck to the town. What class!

I recently watched "The Aviator", and thought I'd see the house when "Kate and Howard" drove up to it... then I realized that Hollywood had other plans to show "Fenwick" (her home)... nothing like it in reality.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home