Thursday, December 08, 2005

Desiderata~

A long time ago, I ran across a..... poem?, saying?.... well I'll let you be the chooser on that.
Whatever you want to call it, is whatever it means to you. To me, it became a way of life.... although it took me many years to realize that. All I can say is that it takes time to learn and implement these words to really understand how they fit into your world... if they fit in at all.
To me, they make perfect sense.... and easier to deal with the world.

~~~"Go placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

~~~ Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your acheivements as well as your plans.

~~~Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideas; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

~~~Be yourself. Especially do not feign affecton. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perrennial as the grass.

~~~Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to sheild you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome dicipline, be gentle with yourself.

~~~You are a child of the universe, no less than the tress and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether is it clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

~~~Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspiratons, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

~~~With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy."


~~~found in Old Saint Paul's Church, Baltimore: dated 1692

9 Comments:

Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

very cool list of sayings ya have here!
I'm currently havin a prob with "gracefully surrendering ...youth" cause the3 arthritis in the cold is doin me in,
and today in particular a prob with (sic)"distressing myself with Imagine." because I can Imagine what John Lennon would've been able to do If he'd not been killed, oh well... guess I'm still learning!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle- Don't you remember this?
It came out as a song back in the 70's... not for long, and probably not on the charts. I can't even remember who spoke it. (music was played in the background, and the sayings were just spoken until they got to the chorus of "you are a child of the universe")

I read your post today, and know that it is indeed a day of mourning for you... what a tough time for you, this time of year.

Gracefully surrendering youth is a hard one... we'd all like to think we're young, because we still think young. But like I said, it took years to implement this system, and I see it more clearly now than ever before. Perhaps that is what they mean about growing older is growing wiser.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

You know, it's funny you should have that today. I saw it reproduced in calligraphy at a craft show I went to last Sunday. I took the time to read it through and think about it. I like it greatly.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Saurkraut- I have had this "poster" hanging in my bedroom for years. It is the one thing I read through often, so that I may go out and face the world, and try to humble my temper when all looks bleak.
Thanks for stopping by, and feel free to anytime!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

That is wonderful!
I especially love this part...
"Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story."

10:45 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Lee Ann- Thanks! I agree, but always find it hard to decide which phrase I like best... I guess it all depends on the mood I'm in that day.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

LeeAnn, that one keeps makin me think I hope i'm not too dull n ignorant today!
Ellen, I've actually had a heck of a friday n need to contemplate these again...

2:09 AM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

ellen
very wise words...if only we could all follow, the world would be a much better place.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle- I read about your awful day... and can't help but think you are a strong sister to survive the ravaging weather forces. I was only too glad to get away from them years ago, but then moved right into tornado country... go figure?

Citysoul- Yeah, this is my "count to ten" method when I am coherent enough to remember them through trying times. I'm no saint, by far, but have managed to calm it down by remembering where the words apply when the temper rears it's ugly head.

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home