Thursday, December 01, 2005

the present lists.......

Every year right around this time, it becomes necessary for my little family to put together a list of needed items (or in my son's case: wanted items) for Christmas....and I have been warned to "just stick to the list" on one occasion. I used to think that the surprise was the best part of receiving a gift, but now I've become savy to my sons requests; after all, why buy something for him if he will get no further use of it than to collect dust. Since I am the "duster" in the family, the last thing I need is another item to wipe off once a week.

This years list is no different from any other ones he has put together in the past, being that it includes something way out of my budget... and could probably feed a small third world country for a year. (Personally, I think the fact that he doesn't pay rent, as he is saving money for school, is the best gift of all.... but he never quite sees things my way).

His one "special" item this year includes a new cell phone that costs upwards of $300.00. After I successfully pried my jaw off the floor over said request, I pretty much laughed and walked away. Who could possibly need a cell phone for that amount of money? Besides, what special features does it include? Does he even know that these wonderful features cost extra on the bill? I think not, or he would have rethunk the item in the first place. (He pays for his own cell bill, and I know extra costs would have an immediate effect on his budget ....so I just don't think he's really thought this whole matter through anyway).

In years past, it was batman caves, action figures and anything to build with... leading me to think that he was going to be some future architect in some important firm, building new horizons across the city. He moved on to computers and all the new games of building empires and Sim Citys. What a fortune was spent in that... only to have him tire of the games, which just recently became boxed up for the next installment to Goodwill. Of course, with technology the way it is, his computers had to be updated every minute (it seems) and a small fortune was spent in the three computers he has had already... all of which were Christmas presents.

I've never made out a list before... and always thought it to be somewhat condescending to do so. Besides, I do like the element of surprise. That is until I ended up with year after year of candles, candy and potpourri. One year is nice; but ten years of it gave me a whole new perspective on the re-gifting apsect. Since I am not a candle burner (always being too afraid that I would forget it was lit, then burn down the house with my carelessness), and candy does nothing for my 40+ "girlish" figure, I needed to take back some control. So I started to make out a simple list for myself.... needed things, and not too expensive either. Since I am from New England stock, my bargain gene is always active, and I always feel guilty when receiving a gift I know was too exorbitant from the giver.

Simple things always include silly items I use everyday, like pens. I love the black gel pens and probably write through two to three packs a year... not to mention the ones I loan out or just plain lose. So that is one item that will go on the list... and just the right size for my Christmas stocking; not the fruit that they usually put in there, as I am not a fruit person. (Put some broccoli or corn in there, and that would be fine.... but no fruit please!) Another item I go through a lot is socks. There is never enough of them even if I were to get dozens of pairs. Between the ones that the dryer eats, and the ones that wear out in the heels (oh so fast), I am constantly stealing them from my son. Otherwise, I am all set with everything I need... really!

So this year, I made out a reverse list: NO candles, NO candy, NO potpourri... under any circumstances. Tell me you love me, help with the garbage, and pick up a vacuum cleaner once in awhile... and I'll know that my Christmas list has been filled. That was simple wasn't it? And it really didn't cost a fortune either.

6 Comments:

Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Go Ellen, just spell it out for 'em! ... I like the reverse list idea, though don't need it any more. I'm lucky my kids know what I like n don't... mostly I get their artful baby Photo's, music or dvd (on pc burned CDs), n home-made clothes accessories like ear-warmers my fav...
Funny though, when I read your sock comment, because I always buy every one a pak of socks, so they count on it!

Hope your son knows he's so lucky to get those new Puters...
I had to learn to build the first few from scraps of hand-me-down-ready-to be-dumped ones, only paid for this one (bargain) I'm on now so far, n hasn't been upgraded since '01...

11:27 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Well, with two "men" in the family, sometimes it just is easier if I spell it out... but have to admit that I still get elements of surprise as well.
My Christmas would be real bleak if I didn't have some surprises to it... otherwise it would seem to rehearsed. I still love the wonderful things that Chris made in school, and still display them proudly... he was very good in arts & crafts classes.

Yeah, someday, I'm sure Chris will realize how fortunate he's been already... not that he's ungrateful, just he's a teenager, and that should speak volumes by itself. Wait till he experiences the "real world". Right now, he's still fresh out of high school.

Kudos to you for being so handy...
mine is upgraded and I still don't know how to do so much with it.
Need to get me one of them "dummies" book. LOL!

11:43 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen -Nice post.

You know you and my mom are so much alike. You both don't quite understand the full value of what you mean to people's lives.

My guess is that there are things you want but are too proud to ask for. :)

The support and strength you give to your family is amazing.

Neo tips his cap.

So, now what do you really want for xmas?

;)

1:01 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

*bowing* and *thanking*

I want peace on earth.... no kidding!
But since I can't have that, I'll settle for some quality time off at the beach. If I can't have peace on earth for everyone, then at least I can enjoy it's best moments by myself, hearing the surf.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

sometimes you need to spell it out. hope you get all you want this year. xoxo

1:40 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

How sweet of you to say, Citysoul.
As long as work keeps me happy, the gardens are flowing with flowers, and I can still function on a regular basis... I'll have all I need. Everything else is just frosting on the cake.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home