Tuesday, November 29, 2005

the season begins......

As a child, I used to think that Christmas would never get here... you know that feeling of everything festive, music and presents. Of course, as I grew older, things shifted and I was now more excited about what I gave as presents. Did I read them right? Did I find the one thing they really needed? Did they like what I had picked out, especially for them?

Although that feeling still exists, I am now in the habit of purchasing presents early on in the year. That is mostly due to the fact that I have a deadline to get them all wrapped and mailed before the actual day passes by. To explain: December is the busiest month by far in my business. People are just catching on that we only have a few weeks to go... and short number of weekends to accomplish all their parties personally, and for their companies. I will have many calls in the coming days where the someone has just realized that they need to have food catered in by the next day... or weekend. Ok... that's what I do for a living, and it is my job to squeeze in the availability for them.

In order for me to be able to accomplish all the bustle that goes along with the season, I have to start everything early, because, like Murphy's Law, something will go wrong if something can...
and I've had plenty of opportunities for that to happen. My best defense is to try to stay one step ahead of the chaos and all that it brings, watching out for the hurdles as best I can. Not always easy, but I'm getting better at it each year.... and the wrenches thrown at me are not going to throw me too far off schedule.

Most of my mail- out gifts are sent right after Thanksgiving.... leaving me with local gifts that I will probably bring by personally. This year, I am a little behind schedule... but not so far that everything still won't reach it's destination before the big day; I still have that under control. (It's a lucky thing that my post office stays open till 8 PM... as there are many people mailing during the day and the lines are atrocious to wait in). When I used to wait in line ( years back) I would see people behind me physically groan at my appearance. I would literally roll in all my packages by cart, as ten to twelve big boxes took up a lot of room and were too much to carry.
Luckily now, that is one problem off my hands.... I just go at night, and not take up precious day time.

Saving time still is a lot to be desired... as I see precious little of it during December. Most of my day is spent setting up parties, delivering food and changing all the plans of customers who were in such a rush to get their first 300 quotes, but now need to get yet another quote because they've altered their food or equipment. In all this confusion, I know that they don't realize I am busy planning MANY parties, in many parts of the city, so that after a while they all run into one in my head. Yes, I take many notes, and yes, I write all the changes down but brain cells are not at a premium when there's so much to do. Luckily, I have many people who do call early, and many that are repeat customers. If they tell me that they want the same as the year before, it becomes my homerun. All others, my cross to bear, as they look to me to guide them through this "difficult" business of ordering food. My biggest sigh of relief comes after the last Saturday before Christmas... by now, all parties are done and I can get on to enjoying the last week and preparations for my family.

So far this weekend will be somewhat quiet, and I'll be able to purchase my skinny victorian- style tree (no room for anything big) and string the lights outside. It usually helps the spirits to get the lights up and everything festive looking in my little house.... then I know I can concentrate on the many trays of food that are before me. My only problem is it will leave me with little time for much else.... so if I don't post as often as I'd like, know that I'm in the kitchen putting food together for the many parties that depend on me. I will always sneak away to read the many posts of all my favorite blogs, and even try to comment when I can.... perhaps even steal a few minutes to write something myself.

In the meantime.... I wish to thank everyone who reads here, and to let them know that I've received the best present of all: new people to talk with, sharing bits and treasures, as well as getting informed on life outside the state of Georgia. May your season be merry, your lights bright, with many presents under the tree.

10 Comments:

Blogger Harlyn said...

it is nice having new people to talk to...happy holidays to you also Ellen.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Thanks, Citysoul! I'll be reading your blog, to at least keep caught up. Are you coming down to Georgia for any of your holidays?

10:46 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I totally agree with what you said..."I've received the best present of all: new people to talk with, sharing bits and treasures, as well as getting informed on life outside the state of 'Alabama'"
It is so much fun!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Lee Ann- Getting to know your fellow man is a great experience, as you have room to open your mind to new knowledges and encounters.
I agree, it is a lot of fun!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen -Awwww. Thank you, you're a present to us as well! *hugs*

12:13 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Neo, my adopted son: xoxoxoxoxo!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Good Luck in all the craziness, post-reading up to date, n pahty-times! Soundz like ya do a heck of a good job bein so busy!

Thankz for bringing us your garden spot to hang in, n your caring soul to warm our hearts.
We'll understand if ya can't write as much (but pout a little, maybe)!
Have a heathy n productive Merry-Season!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle- Thanks! I will be busy, that's a given... just got through baking about 120 cookies and wrapping up the last of my packages to be mailed out to relatives up north.... whew!
I'm about to call it a night as it's 11:00 now, and I need to be fresh as a daisy in the AM.
I will be making an effort to stay caught up, as I do enjoy this new hobby of mine!
Thanks so much for the kind words!

11:06 PM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

no georgia for my holidays this year. I'll be staying here in CT with family here.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Citysoul- So sorry to hear that, but at least you won't be on the road with everyone else.
Here's hoping you have a wonderful holiday season in your new home!

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home