Tuesday, November 22, 2005

OCD Tendencies...

If there is one thing that drives me completely nuts, it's a dirty personal environment. I could never quite understand how anyone could let their house get to the point that a bulldozer was necessary to move aside all the "stuff" just to get through the door. To me, everything has a place... that way I can always find it when I go to seek it later. The one rule that accompanies that, is the fact, once used it should always go back to it's original place, or be thrown away if no longer needed. How simple is that?

My son used to play with many different friends who's houses looked like an A-bomb went off in the general vicinity of the middle of their house.... everything was on the floor, except their animals that they let crawl on the counters for food. Just a little backwards for my tastes, and I always encouraged him to think twice before asking for a drink at said houses. It back-fired a bit on me, as he had worse OCD problems than I did... and tended to wash his hands many times during the course of a day. It was so bad that he required lotion to rid himself of that "reptilian" dry hand look. I'm a clean freak, but didn't feel it necessary to wash my hands every moment; for him it was a phase that he eventually outgrew.
Since his brain was "wired" somewhat similar, but enough different from mine, I used to get upset that he was overdoing the hand-wash ritual. When your hands are rubbed so raw, and the flesh color is so devoid of your skin, it's time to rethink about how dirty you really are. But it was a situation he had to handle on his own, and my being upset over the matter never made it easier for him. At the time, he was also taking up to three showers a day... 30 minutes a shot.
Needless to say, the water company loved me! This whole adventure started when he was five, and he overcame it by himself, when he reached age ten.
To this day, though, he has the best hygiene of anyone I know.... as he cannot leave the house without the required shower, shave and fru-fru spritz. I can live with that, and my water bills are not the dreaded monthy budget buster.

What I could never understand then, was that he had no care or concern about his personal work/play space. His playroom (now my downstairs office) was cluttered with toys, with no thought that a small lego could choke a vacuum cleaner into Sears Repair Center in two seconds flat. No matter how many times I bought crates, boxes or toychests, they were remained empty while all the cars, action figures and game pieces were scattered across the floor. I finally had to rethink my attitude a little and learn how to just close the door on it all. The task of cleaning it up fell on deaf ears with him, because he would be too caught up trying to fit it all in the forts or castles he built, rather than just putting it away. Since I was working two jobs at the time, I refused to do it myself. Closing the door was a simpler solution for both of us. This way, he could continue where he left off from the day before, and I saved the vacuum cleaner from certain demise.

He is now 19, and the times have changed a bit. He no longer plays with action figures, legos, lincoln logs, or matchbox cars. He has a passion for his computer, and spends many hours in front of it.... letting go of it's radiant pull long enough to apply for college, work, eat and sleep.
He is passionate about his bedroom now, and being that it's the size of a broom closet, he constantly changes it to outfit the mood of his age. I think that's great, but have a problem in his methods. In order to weed out the old, he drops it all in a pile on the floor of my sewing room....
telling me that I can bring it to Goodwill, as he no longer has a need for any of it. The first "clean-sweep" generated the books he had been given as gifts over the years. These books are not the kiddie books, but wonderful volumes that included Peter Jennings' "The Century" and other hardback versions of historical matter. (History was always his favorite subject in school, hence, all the history books). They have since found a new home, on a new bookshelf in my office, but all the other clutter had to be swept off to donation centers. I simply told him that cleaning his room did not necessarily mean that it became my problem to deal with by dumping it off in my room.... everything has a place, even if it means donation or garbage.

So I look around my office today and see it void of childrens toys, laughter and sometimes squabbles of who's fort was the best amongst all the friends who played here.... and I can't help but feel that I miss all the cool things he had, even if it meant a stab wound to the foot by a rogue lego piece, or a crying child who couldn't find a peticular sword that went with a peticular action figure. Times do change, toys get more sophisticated and little boys do grow up.... and Moms learn to store the memories for the next generation.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lee Ann said...

I am right there with you. I am OCD, the people at work make fun of me. I am not completely obsessive with it, I just think everything has a place and it should be straight and orderly.
What can we say?
I just couldn't live all cluttered up, that would drive me nuts.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen -I'm the same way with washing my hands. Then again, I work with computers, so I have to watch out for germs. Hey! There isn't anything wrong with playing with action figures! ;P

7:12 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Lee Ann- So glad to see that there are people out in the world that see it the same way I do.
I have supressed a lot of my OCDism, but there are some things that I just can't shake. People laugh at me too! Hey, at least I can find what I'm looking for about 99% of the time. (sometimes I straighten up just a little too well, accounting for that 1% of lost items). It's still better than kicking a path to get through the door! Haha!

7:15 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Neo- Too funny (about the action figures). My son had them all, and with all the little buddies they had as friends. Do you know how many little pieces come with all that? No wonder my first vacuum cleaner just decided to commit suicide first.

As far as the hands... yes, I do wash my hands a lot, but only if I'm touching germ filled things or food. I just never reach the status of "white" hands, which is what Chris would do. He wouldn't even finish a cookie where he touched it, even after he had washed his hands first. I was lucky in one respect as I never had to tell him to wash up for dinner.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I think everyone has ocd about different things, just some don't ever turn it to self or home focus. Neat is good, clean is better.
I can't visit MB's house without picking every thing up that she ignores. Of course, the baby makes it tougher for her to have the energy, but I just can't stand messy floors and tables! Sometimes I'll spend my entire visit washing her dishes because I can't stand a dirty sinkful of them.

I wash my hands all the time, for food n also because I'm allergic to dust mites. I can't get it on me, or I get hives, my eyes swell shut, ect. I have to wear a mask n goggles to vacuum, I would much rather wash to catch the dust, it's safer. I have to treat the rugs n furniture monthly or not use them. It's a major challenge to avoid getting dust in my eyes sometimes, even at the stores.
I have to spend the majority of my time in a "allergen clean" zone, or I'll have to take the anti-histamines which knock me out.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Looking around my house as I am writing this to see if I pass your white glove inspection! LOL!
Well, it is clean but needs major painting, new rugs, new couch, new kitchen...shall I go on? LOL!

8:39 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle- I do feel sorry for you, as allergies are a pain... my Mom suffered a lot of that in her later years. Dust was her enemy and she developed asthma... after many bouts of pneumonia. It eventually led to other medical problems, and she never lived past the age of 48.

Blogdreamz- I probably have an inch of dust I need to attend to today myself... just can't seem to "gittin er done" as I have quite a list of things to accomplish today alone. Between the baking, wrapping of presents, watering of houseplants and cleaning for company, I feel overwhelmed just thinking about it.
At least there's no clutter to shove out of the way first... and the major paint job for me, will have to wait for another day.
Thanks for stopping by the garden, and feel free to come back anytime!

7:02 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen -A friend of mine works for a vaccum cleaning company. I know all about the stuff they find it there.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home