Monday, November 07, 2005

Miss Kitty

One day, a couple of years back, a stray cat wandered into my yard to look for all the goodies and tidbits my ivy garden had to offer. It then crept off to investigate my neighbors yard for any desserts that might have escaped her watchful eye. Feeling sorry for this cat was not an emotion I would need to have for long. My neighbor has a softer heart than mine, and she adopted the kitty almost immediately. She went through the pains of having it checked for diseases, had it spayed and cleaned and loaded her pantry with the best of treats and food.

All this has not been in vain, as Miss Kitty (now named) has been a blessing to both of our yards.
She is a natural hunter, and no creature escapes unscathed of her basic instincts. Her only drawback is that she is not a friendly kitty. She is much too independent to walk up to anyone for a scratch behind the ears or a rub on the belly. It's not that there are more important agendas to attend to, she is just self-governing with her time and who she spends it with. If you are in charge of feeding her, while her folks go away, she prances around you with all the mastery of a grateful child, otherwise, she will have nothing to do with you.

Well, with all the treats that live in the wilds of my yard, and the neighborhood, she has landed herself a plethora of food abundance.... not to mention the regular meals she gets from her cat dish. Needless to say, this once abandoned scrawny cat is now a waddling, well filled out feline... still fit to capture and destroy any critter who crosses her path. I am grateful for that, as I have a true hate for snakes and rats... a specialty on her hunting expeditions.

I once had a terrible time with a roof rat that just didn't know the meaning of pest control. No matter what my Orkin man did, the rat was smarter. We stuck out big glue traps, of which it was still able to escape from... something I witnessed first hand. What to do? It was only a matter of time, and greed on the rats part, that Miss Kitty came to the rescue for me. I only needed to wait for the two to meet, and they did. I witnessed that too... only the rat didn't have much to say as it was now embedded in the cats mouth, fully dead. Yeah, I guess I should have felt a little bad, but no, I'm a nature lover that still has some limits.

So I reap the benefits of having a natural pest control patrolling my yard, without all the fuss of buying cat food, treats and toys. Best part of the bargain is that Miss Kitty brings back her days catch to my neighbor, but (as mentioned in a previous post) refuses to do it if her folks go away on vacation. I can't blame her for that as the best part of the catch is being able to show it off, and with no one around for her to brag to, she tends to leave little dead bodies where she last had her way with them.... walking off to newer hunting horizons. That leaves me with the "find" and a plea to my husband to get the shovel out. No, not to bury it, but rather to chuck it back into the ivy from whence it first came before it was innocent enough to cross the path of the cat.

I have become a cat lover over the years, and really enjoy the fact that they are as independent
an animal as you will ever meet. Never mind my Leo background, and the natural tendency to gravitate to felines in general. I just find that Miss Kitty has taught me a few lessons in this odyssey we call life. Left alone to do what we do best, reaps many benefits in the long run, and independence is truly a strong trait that allows one to be all they can be. So if we travel along the road to find the "rats and snakes" of the world, we need to be strong in the resolve that, like a cat, it's purely a search and destroy mission we are after... nothing personal, mind you..... it's just a job that needs to be done.

5 Comments:

Blogger Neo said...

Ellen -Good post, I'm a sucker for cats too. We need one at my office to chase off the mice.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

There was a cat abandoned here when I first moved in, and I finally let her in (with my other cat) instead of putting food out for her. She became the fattest, hugest, piggy-cat you ever saw! Used to shove the other cat out of the dish!
But Midnight was the best and most grateful pet you could ever ask for. She let the little kids sit on her n pull her ears and never clawed or bit anyone, ever. The year I found the abandoned kittens at work I have now, I had to put her down because she stopped being able to eat, n was so miserable I couldn't watch. She was at least 16 years old too. The luxury of eating is never taken for granted for the once abandoned. It's a challenge to get them not to overeat.
A newer black one, Mischief, is the mouser here. She got 11 mice in my apt before they poisoned the downstairs cupboard problem. Some cats never get tired of the playing, Miss Kitty must be that way. Others become lazy old farts like Garfield in the cartoons.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

I've had a few cats while I've lived here, but have had such bad luck with them. (The get run over or run away or get sick and die) I find it's best to let them live somewhere else. That way I don't have to go through the mourning, because I'm such a cry-baby when I would lose pets.

Love the stories about your cats, Snaggle. Some kittys just handle little kids so well!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Well, the link instructions I wanted to put here contained code, n blogger wouldn't accept it. Is it ok to email to that same addr for the bread with the info?

9:32 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle- By all means... e-mail away! I'd be happy to send you a B-bread!

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home