Friday, November 04, 2005

What's in a name?

Growing up in the very late 50's and early 60's, most girls had "pretty" names... you know, they were all called Susan or Kathy or Patty. My parents had other ideas. They had decided to somehow combine a derivative of my paternal grandmothers name with a complete self identity of my name to come up with Ellen from Helen. All well and fine for them, but did they forget I would have to go through life with this bland name.... somewhere on the line with Gladys or Harriet, certainly not Susie and Patty?

My parents thinking process in naming my brothers and myself all stemmed from the fact that they didn't want any "juniors" in the crowd, nor any names that could be shortened into nicknames. I guess they slipped a little with me, because some of my old buddies call me El.... no not Elle, just El. Ok, I can live with that, because my Mom used to teasingly call me Ellie May after the Beverly Hillbillies character, and I used to have an old boyfriend that used to call me Elle-Belle. So much for the "no nickname" tags. My brothers had it a little easier as they were called Eric, Karl & Kurt. Just how does one shorten those strong german names?

Going to elementary school, there was one other girl with the name Ellen. Yay! The name really existed, here was living proof that there was some other person that shared it with me.
After all, we could never find it posted on anything like the stickers or toothbrushes that were monogrammed with names. And to this day, I still have a hard time finding it.

So I learned to embrace my name, even though I hated it when I was younger, and I found myself collecting things with big "E"s on it. My search does not always disappoint me, because there are other "pretty" names that start with E..... Erin, Emily, Elizabeth...... and "E" is a strong letter, even if Ellen is not a strong name.

So as not to put my child through the same identity crisis I felt, I gave him a popular name, Christopher. It just happens that his name was the number one name of boys born in 1986.
It seemed that every other child in his class was named Christopher. And he hated it. I'll never forget the first time I called "Christopher, its' time for dinner", he shot back at me: " My name is Chris", and it's been that way ever since. By the way, he was 5 at the time.

When it came time for him to graduate from High School last May, he wanted to use "Chris" on his diploma. I tried to tell him that diplomas usually had complete Christian names written on them and nicknames were a no-no. Well, I won round one, but he got me back when it came time to have his name called to pick up his diploma at the ceremony. They used "Chris" and I was so shocked, that I forgot to clap.

What is it about our name that makes us so territorial about its usage? I suppose a lot of it has to do with our personalities. We want to put our best foot forward, and names usually are the first place we start. Our parents, and eventually ourselves, usually have an obligation to use a previous generation family members name in the naming of our children. We try to include grandmas, grandpas, moms and dads.... and I was no exception. My middle name was my Mothers name, and Chris' middle name is that of my nephews, Ryan.

Personally, I have come to realize that it's all in the sing-song way it rolls off the tongue when you say complete names. If the first name is a long one, we tend to shorten the middle name, or at least should. Filing out applications can be a real problem with not enough spaces to fill out two long complete names if the middle name is long.... and Vice versa.

So if you are going through life wondering how in God's name did your folks come up with your name, rest assure that 90% of the population shares your pain. Hey, the way I look at it now, at least they didn't name me Edith... and no offense to all you Edith's out there, it's just a name I assimilate with Archie Bunker... and no one wants that kind of stigma.

5 Comments:

Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I've been somewhat reluctant to put my real name out there in blogland, though a few around here know it already.
I'm so paranoid of being tracked down! Let's just say I've had a few very bad experiences in my past, so I still try to protect myself. I use a nom de plume for writing.
I did make a different nickname for it. I'll just say I accused my mom of giving me an old lady's name!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Funny you should say "old ladys" name, that's kind of how I felt about mine for many years. Then there was Ellen Degeneres who kind of made it somewhat familiar, but then there's the stigma of being gay, which I'm not.
So the heck with it, I finally came to terms that it's not such a bad name, and I do have that individuality factor amidst all the Susan and Pattys I know.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Hey Ellen,
First I want to say, that I think you have a fine name. I too, had grown up not having too many other Lee Ann's. If there were others with my same name, they certainly did not spell it the same way. I never never never, to this day find a key chain, book mark, tshirt, shot glass, or any other little collectible with my name on it. I have to settle for the name Lee. (Usually anything with that name on it is more masculine too). I was named after both of my parents (Ann-mother's middle name) and (Lee-father's middle name). We were not even from the south (where I was born). Loved your post. I have tried several times to connect to your blog, this is the first time it happened...strange! Hope your weekend is going well. cya later!

1:19 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Whenever a woman's name is Sue or Ann, I always get confused which one it is each time I see them... I have the same problem with the names Mike n Steve!
Individuality is a good thing! I always wanted to change my name to Gail, until I accepted mine in adulthood as well...
Funny enough, both my Nom n RN. begin with "E" also, as does MB's name.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Lee Ann- Welcome to the garden!
I always thought that your name was so pretty.... so lyrical the way it rolls off the tongue... but you're right, hard to find those monogrammed things every one else gets.
Love your blog! It's so diverse and colorful. Thanks for stopping by, and feel free to come back anytime!

Snaggle- I've read MB's blog and think she has a fine stong "E" name, very good choice. I like her blog as well, and have it on my sidebar.
Gail was always a cool name, so short, sweet and to the point. I can see why you liked it!

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home