Friday, November 04, 2005

Who Do You Trust?

Due to the nature of my livelihood, the vehicle I drive is a gas guzzling Ford Explorer. I have been through two Toyotas and a Hyundai in the thirty years I've been driving; the explorer is only my fourth vehicle. You might say I drove the other cars to death, literally.... or it might be that I finally needed transportation that had air conditioning. I held off as long as I could, but the summers here are too hot, and when you are transporting food, they get hotter on the inside. So after years of trying to stuff chafing pans, dishes and all the ecrudiments to set up a proper catering, I decided that I needed a vehicle that was worthy of my business, so as to at least look more professional and believable to my clients.... never mind having the room to drive without equipment bopping me in the head on every corner I take.

Well in the last four years of owning said vehicle, I find that it's not only the gas that's expensive, it's all the repairs that get costly as well. New tires (and I need them often), brakes (ditto), and oil changes (ditto again), can really add up. Yeah, I could change my own oil (and I really could), but who needs the greasy hands and trouble? Remember, I need to look professional, and not like a car mechanic.

So... who do I trust to do all that work without being taken for every dime I have? Well today, I found a wonderful mechanic... actually two. For the past few weeks my poor guzzler has been making a pinging noise mixed intermittently with audible screeches coming from the engine. Well, the "check engine" light never came on, so although I was a little concerned, I wasn't worried. After all, isn't that what the engine light was for?

I took it to the closest Jiffy Lube for an oil change... thinking that at least I won't pop a rod in the engine, but the noise persisted. I had them check the noise, but they were as perplexed as I. Perhaps it was the water pump.... and oh yeah, they only run $400.00. Maybe the distributor? Well they started with the idler pully and replaced it. Still there was the noise.... maybe I needed a second opinion. While driving to the second opinion, the engine light came on. Now I am in the first stage of fright... what if I over heat the engine? No problem.... I know to turn the heat all the way up, roll down the windows and let the car take the heat, not the engine. But will I make it to my destination? Armed with many silent prayers and a keen eye on the engine cold/ heat gauge, I arrive safely. But by this time, the noises have stopped and the mechanic has a hard time believing anything I'm telling him. He didn't hear any noises. Well of course not, I explain, the last place I had brought it to had WD 40'd the complete engine... enough to cause a minor EPA alert. So... he let it run for 15 minutes, still no noises, but he did hook it up to their latest diagnostic machine that should pinpoint the cause of the distress.

I receive a call this afternoon; they will find the cause, although they want to do more tests. Yeah, it could be the water pump, but nothing is leaking, and no it's not the distributor as explorers do not have the traditional distributors. It's called something else, but with all the car talk today, I have a hard time recalling what it is.... after all, I'm a caterer, not a mechanic.
I know food, and very little about cars.... except when I hear a pinging/ screeching noises.
Then I know that something is wrong.

Total cost so far? $60.00 for the oil change, idler pully replacement, 2 sets of opinions, diagnostic testing and good conversation for the wait. All in all, not too bad. Besides, the mechanic is a customer of ours, so he will give our company a nice break.

5 Comments:

Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Most of those guys are crooks, you have to watch out to make sure you aren't getting BS'd.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Oh yeah, you are right there.

About ten years ago I was traveling up to CT from here. I was cautious to have my oil changed and car looked after before the long ride. On 95 and coming through Philly, my car broke down right near the stadium.
I called AAA and they sent a tow truck, which brought me to a mechanic who told me that the car should be under warranty, (being less than a year old) and he would tow it to the nearest Hyundai dealer for free. He even arranged for me to acquire a rental car, which he drove me to at the airport. I continued on up to CT, leaving my car behind.
I get a call from the dealership who informs me that I need an oil change. WHAT??? I told them to fix the part that needed fixing, I'll be back at the end of the week to pick it up. The original
mechanic (who did the towing) told me to come back to him on my way through, he would take care of all the switching arrangements, etc.
He NEVER charged me a dime for all that he did, and told me that when I got home to ATL, please call him to let him know I made it back safely. How nice was that?

Except for the dealership, who charged me over $300.00 for a $1.00 part, and no, they said... the part they fixed wasn't covered under warranty. The gentleman who originally helped me was appalled!
He would never do business with them again.
I realized that there was a reason Philly was called the "city of brotherly love". At least one person there was a good brother.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Thanks Morgs.... and thanks for stopping by! I really miss your blog, and hope you get that up and running soon!.... Or if you have already, I am having trouble getting it to show any posts.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I now drive a Chevy.
I started on Toyotas, then after the divorce n 3 years with no wheels (no public transport) went to junkers: Buicks, Olds, couple of wagons. Was a mechanic of need for awhile, (re-built the '66 Skylark) points, plugs, belts, alternators, belts, radiators. I also used to fix outboards, until I injured my wrist n got hand-nerve damage. Mechanics have it tough tryin to pull anything over on me.

Lately I'm crossing the fingers. I know it's front brakes next on the schedule, need a inspection sticker this month, n no funds to do anything but air-filter n wipers (do myself). MA is a pain on inspection regs. better not run into something else or won't have one.

To see Morgs old page template with her new posts, go to her profile page n hit the top blog link (at the bottom)

9:35 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle- You have to be one of the most well-rounded people I know... as women of the world, we could take lessons from you! I can do a few car mechanics, and rely on my husband or locals to do the rest. Partly lazy, partly unknowledgable is my problem... Im' not too mechanical minded, and am always afraid that I will break it worse than it already is.

I finally got into Morgs' log, thanks for the tips!

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home