Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Got Milk.... Tea?

My favorite drink, believe it or not, is milk. Seem strange that a middle-age baby boomer would prefer a glass of milk over a beer? Well, yeah, and I've taken a lot of flack for it, but having never broken a bone in my life, or had a cavity, and I will reap the benefits that most people will never know. I can only thank God that I'm not lactose intolerant... because I am a very "dairy" person in my food choices, and dinner to me always includes a glass of milk. Between my son and myself, we go through a gallon a day easily... and trips to the grocery store always include at least two gallons on the list, with another trip two days later to stock up again.

Of course that's not to say I don't drink anything else, because I do mix it up a bit with water and tea.... and living in the south, tea is a mainstay in your refrigerator. If you order tea in the south, you will be asked if you want it "sweet or unsweet". That threw me off the first time, because being from the northeast, you just got it hot and sweetened your own.... nobody ever asked. Well, how nice of them, I thought. Yeah, these southerners are every bit accommodating and friendlier than I thought. When a tall glass of iced tea arrived with a fat lemon on top, I was a little taken aback, but ok... I like ice tea just as much as I do hot tea.... so down the hatch. It was delicious! Freshly brewed and not that powder jar stuff. Wow, what a complete difference!
I was told by my husband, who is a native of Atlanta, that nobody uses that powdered stuff down here.... why that's a sin!

Experimenting with different types herbal teas in my teens and 20's, I've always had a love of tea. It's become my wake-up drink in the morning, as I had to cast away the coffee due to the complications that coffee caffeine gave me... and I can't quite get a cold glass of milk down so early in the a.m. So each day, I make myself a nice large cup of green tea to rev up the engine,
and fulfill my daily intake of vitamin C.... and then get out the traveler cup to take a some with me on the road.

As far a beer.... well didn't everybody try that back in their sneaking days? So did I. Never quite could acquire the taste for beer, as I'm not a drinker of anything that includes carbonates, including sodas. Just order me a Kahlua sombraro... or as it's called here: kahlua & cream....
got to have that milk!


7 Comments:

Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I tea toddle myself... Red Rose fan, some Chamomile n green, other herbals, Noni, no ice tea though! Only do lemon for colds.

As a teen I once was convinced to quickly chug a quart of Colt 45 on the railroad tracks behind the Police Station, where we knew they could see us on closed circuit TV (no video yet) but not get to us because of the wire fence! We chugged, waved, threw the bottles toward the camera, then tried to run like hell away, was more of a stagger-oof!, trip! "Keep running! He-he-he" Never got caught...

Once in a blue moon, say every 5 years or so I'll have a glass of beer if it's a keg party on a warm day. Otherwise, don't drink much at all. this year so far, 2 mudslides at diff times.
I currently take it easy on my liver, cause my Gramps was an alchy with sclerosis. He died the month after my dad. He was fun though!

6:39 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - BEER? WHERE?

I don't drink tea much anymore because of the acid's it produces in my stomach. As you know I have acid reflux, a glass of tea would kill me!

6:56 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle- Lemon was a staple in my Gandmas house... she put it in everything, and I mean everything!

Funny story about the Colt 45, I was laughing as I was reading it... because in my younger and wilder days we all did something like that. Thanks for the memory trip back.
Yeah, my Dad had a bit of a drinking problem... kind of staved me off the stuff. Besides, in 9th grade, my boyfriend had gotten me drunk and taped recorded the episode, only to play it back the next morning while I was upchucking and suffering the worst hangover.

Neo- one word: Chamomile. It cures the worst of stomach aches.
How do I know this? My Grandma used to take me on long walks aroung east Cambridge, MA to pick it growing wildly between the cracks of the sidewalks and in parks. We'd get back to her house and store it away. Well one day, my Grandpa had over-indulged me in all the sweets I could possibly take in a year. Oiy! What a stomach ache! Grandma pulled down the bag of dried chamomile and brewed up a cup for me to drink.
Smelled awful, for sure, but within an hour, I was back to my wicked ways.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Kiwi (no not the fruit!) said...

I love a good Earl Grey!! MMmmmm your making me relax already! Thanks Ellen:)
BTW - your blog is fantastic, so glad to see it up and running:)

8:25 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Kiwi- welcome to the garden! So glad you could drop by!

Glad to hear you like tea... not always a favorite amongst the men, but it has wonderful medicinal powers if you know which ones to use.

Come back anytime and we can virtually share a pot of Earl Grey!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

your post made me laugh...growing up in the south myself...yes, you always have a jug of very sweet tea in the fridge...everybody does.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Citysoul- I knew if anybody could understand what I was talking about concerning tea and the south, it would be you. Glad I could send a laugh up your way!

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home