Monday, October 31, 2005

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my....

One of my favorite holidays has finally arrived, and to celebrate I send a candybar, or beer (whichever is your pleasure) , to all. It's been a short/ long year, and everyone has been deserving of a treat... so enjoy!

Armed with plenty of candy for the neighborhood kids (teenagers included), I am ready for the onslaught that will begin shortly after dusk. I live in a nice neighborhood, filled with people from all walks of life....many who have just arrived from another country. I am amazed at the way they adapt to the customs we take for granted, and glad to see they participate in all our silliness concerning holidays. Yeah, sure, all in the name of store profits... but there is something
I miss about not being able to bring my child out anymore (he's 19 now), and I love to see all the kids dressed up in costumes, armed with flashlights and fleeing across yards to make it to the next house for treats. Nobody has been tricked yet.... no eggs, toiletpaper or smashed pumpkins, which makes it easier to dress up the house.

I did have a little help in the choice of candy, as my son once told me that I bought the "cheap" stuff and better step up to the plate with the "good" stuff. At the time I was on a strict budget; chocolate was something I cooked with, and never gave away willingly. But older is wiser, and cheap only goes so far, so I buy the good stuff now. Then whatever is left over feeds my sweet-tooth, so what me worry?

So to all you ghosts and goblins who remember running around the neighborhood, dressed to the nines in your favorite costume, getting the good stuff in your pumpkin sack ( and not those dreaded candy apples), enjoy the beginning of a wonderful season that winds down somewhere after the first of 2006. Where does the time go? Is it only a few short months till Christmas?
Good thing I went shopping in August!

Happy Halloween, y'all!

6 Comments:

Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Happy Pumkin day!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

and a very happy pumpkin day to you to, Neo .... the beer mentioned was specifically for you.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Awwww... You're too kind. Does comes with peanuts too?

Neo's eyes widen

5:39 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Trick or treat! Mmmm My fav, Chocolate, thanks!
Yeah, I get the brand names in a wide selection. I believe in keeping the spirits happy with good offerings too.

Maybe the new foriegner citizens haven't learned the eggin thing yet, or maybe they're too cheap to toss away $2 eggs...

Have fun with the cuties n artful! Happy All Hallow's Eve!

5:58 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Neo- yeah, peanuts too... and an easy chair, and a good game where you team wins! Cooler (stocked) on the side and remote close by.

Snaggle- Food of champions:
vitamin C... for chocolate. You're right, gotta keep the kids happy... karma and all. Best part is that I get the leftovers, and they never last long enough to be stuffed into stockings. Chocolate is my biggest weekness.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

Happy Halloween!

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home