Monday, November 07, 2005

What's your worth?

As a kid, I always thought in terms of what a dollar would buy. Of course back then, prices were still reasonable, movies cost 50 cents and candybars were a dime... and they were the big bars, not those mini things you get today.

So if I had a dollar, it meant that I could be out of my parents hair for a Saturday afternoon, as there was always the movie theatre to go to. I could see a flick, have some popcorn or a candybar and still get change, unless I wanted a drink. Since all they offered was sodas, I skipped the drink and pocketed the change. A cup of ice would suffice, as I could always fill it up at the closest water fountain... sodas were never my choice of drink, unless it was flat and I was particularly thirsty.

If the movie was a good one, and they really didn't have any questionable ones back then, my parents would spring for the extra cash, as my allowance was only 50 cents. Of course it meant that I had to complete a mountain of chores first, but the idea of sending me off with my friends was pretty appealing for a quiet afternoon by themselves. It also meant that the rest of the neighborhood was quiet as well, because we usually traveled in groups to see the latest releases.

It was during that span of time that I began to think of what money would buy. If I had 10 dollars, well.... I'd be rich! It meant that I could not only see a movie, but afford to buy school lunch all week, have enough for afternoon snacks everyday, and perhaps (if I was feeling particularly rich) I could treat my friends as well. Ice creams at the local Friendly's would be an everyday event, and clothes.... well it meant I could have some store-bought ones and not the homemade ones my Mother sewed. Ten dollars today will hardly buy you lunch today. Yeah, maybe at McDonalds, but nothing decent and worth eating.

As the years rolled along, so did the prices of everything. Gas went from 35 cents a gallon to a whopping 57 cents in 1975. I was appalled that I filled my Toyota Corolla for seven dollars back then.... now, I'd give my right arm to have it back. My first and second apartments in 1979 were only 40 dollars a week.... a total of $160.00 a month, and they were beautiful; always the third floor penthouse with a terrific view of everything.... and utilities included.
I survived on $80.00 a week pay, with a car payment of $100.00 a month, and paid for my own groceries, clothes and essentials. We didn't have cable back then or computers, but we were still able to find plenty to do. Things were a little tight, but still manageable, and I could always appeal to my Dad if things got bad, but I never did.

Today, $80.00 doesn't even cover my phone bill; my mortgage increases every year with the tax rate increases, and I don't even want to think of what I spend at the grocery store every week.... including minusing out the coupons and using the special Kroger card for discounts.
Just running in for a few items has me writing out a check over $80.00.

I really pity my son who has to go out into todays world. He is just learning what it's like to survive. I gave him a small lesson in economics when he graduated from High School, telling him that I could do a better job showing him my checking account than anything he learned in school. I brought him to my computer and opened up my Quicken file, ran a few quick reports and told him to read it and weep. Welcome to the real world, I told him. After we successfully pried his jaw off the floor, I patted him on the back and told him that his first order of business was to get a good paying job. With his healthy appetite for having American Eagle clothes and take-out food, the only way he could afford himself was to find a way to pay for it, because now he was cut off to all that from me.

He had the opportunity to maintain an 80 GPA in school, whereupon the state of Georgia would send him to any school in Georgia pretty much tuition free. He blew it by 2 points, and is now struggling to save the money.... as well as paying for his car insurance and cell phone. He tells me that he just doesn't have enough to go around. Again, I repeat to him, welcome to the real world. He should just be happy that I'm not charging him rent. I won't pay for his schooling, and it's not that I'm stingy, I just want him to learn a valuable lesson about money. I figure the only way to do that is to let him get his feet wet with a real life experience. When you have to pay for something yourself, you appreciate it's value more than when it's handed to you. Besides, it was all up to him in the first place... a warning I gave to him since his elementary school days.

Long gone are the days of 50 cent movies and dime candybars, and a dollar isn't even enough to get you through most toll gates anymore. Granted, salaries have increased and the minimum wage has jumped from $1.35 in 1975 to $5.35 now. This is still not much in the scope of things or the cost of living.... but what really ticks me off is the sports "hero" who feels dissed because he wasn't rewarded for his 100th touchdown on the field. When you make millions for a salary, I don't care, and you won't see any boo hoo moments from me. Go back to your mansion and expensive cars, I have no sympathy for you.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lee Ann said...

So funny! Gosh, I remember being a small child and my mom telling the gas station attendant (you don't see that anymore) to "fill it up with ethel". I think it was about 33cents a gallon! hahaha

11:22 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I think sometimes those football show-pieces just get bashed in the head too much n the brains goe out the goal-post...

I remember for a dollar each me n my lil sis would walk a mile to bowl a string of candle-pins then get a burger n fries at McD's. Yep, the same now's about 10bux. So when are kids have grown kids, they times our bills by 10...ugh.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Lee Ann- Yeah, gas station attendants are truly a thing of the past. Now all you get is a shout out from the kids working in the Quick Trip on a microphone... something similar to drive-up at McDonalds... still can't understand them either. All other places don't even have that.

Snaggle- Only too bad the knocks to the heads doesn't knock some sense into the show boys. What a sad world we live in if they can't learn to live the millions they make. In all fairness, there are some who do good work for their community, but you don't hear too much about them, only the bad boys.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

Important lesson you are teaching your son. I moved out at 18 to NYC on my own, I learned responsibility and a great respect for what my parents were able to accomplish by raising 3 children. My younger brother and sister stayed home and my parents paid for most of what they needed...now in their early 20's, they are having a tough time.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Yup, same here. I moved out at 19, and moved around 6 times in the first 2 years!

It's tough at first, but after awhile, you come to appreciate the independence.

Good for you!

:)

12:34 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Citysoul & Neo- Thanks for the pat on the back...
It's amazing how some people think I am committing a sin for not being more supportive to my childs "further education". Hey, I tell them, he's living rent free. The least he can do is figure out a way to pay for his schooling, especially since he blew the opportunity to go for free. GA has the Hope Schlorship program funded by the state's lottery... not too shabby in my estimation. I'll bet there are a lot of parents out there who wished their state had the same thing available.
As I said before... welcome to the real world, it costs!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Not a problem. I wish PA had something like that seeing the debt I went into after school.

Don't worry he'll eventually get the hint. :)

3:41 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Neo- Thanks, I really hope so. I know he is doing his best to prove me wrong by going ahead and doing all the leg work... and that's ok with me; just another lesson in life... and my plan all along.

5:06 PM  
Blogger the Wootang said...

true about the athletes. i have difficulty sympathizing with them. especially when they bring out the "5 year average career length" argument. why do we know the names of all our athletic heroes, and mob bosses, but we can't name the guy that's about to cure cancer?

9:22 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Wootang 77- Oh how true...very good point you have there! There are too many silent heroes out there... while the big mouths get all the attention.
Thanks for stopping by, feel free to come back and comment anytime!

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home