Saturday, December 03, 2005

The Christmas Tree

One part of the season that thrills me is seeing the finished product of the Christmas tree in all it's glory... lights shining, ornaments hung, and just a hint of a few wrapped packages peeking out from under the low branches. I used to think that my livingroom looked so much nicer with this perfectly dressed tree glowing in the darkness of the evening... as I always leave the lights on through the night, well timed to shut off somewhere in the early duskness of the morning.

Over the years we have collected many new ornaments to accompany the treasured ones we've hung forever.... and it seems that the tree is laden with memories of so many Christmas adventures. We also put up a village, well stocked with many houses as well as people bustling
around a magical tree of their own. To set up the village has become my sons responsibility, as he was once a budding architect in his "younger" days, and had a feel of how everything should be layed out. If I dared tried to move anything, he would promptly move it back to the spot it originally was set... so I gave in to his expertise, and deemed it his contribution to the decorations of the small house we live in. I must say, over the last eleven years, I've been amazed at his ability to set it up with actual ease and speed, making it a delightful little village to ponder over in the shadow of the tree lights. And, of course, each year I make his duty just a little more difficult as I add newer homes or people we've purchased to the mix. He is a real trooper though, and his village has become the centerpiece (besides the tree) to our decor.

Today we will be visiting our local Lowes to purchase yet another tree to stand tall and proud in our livingroom. Yes, I should consider a live tree.... but really have nowhere to plant it, as my yard now resembles a small patch of forest with too many trees that crowd out the sunshine for grass as it is. But I am still a bit frugal in my choices, as I like the tall, skinny victorian types... only not too tall, as my ceiling only goes up to eight feet, and I am not a fan of lopping off the top to fit it in. It has to be skinny as well, as room in my home does not allow for too much more. I just want a tree that will blend in with all the antiques and finery, with out distributing everything around to another area... as rearranging my live plants, as it is, has become a true art form.

Then it's on to the lights! I don't go overboard with the Santas on the lawn.... just a little too redneck for me (although I do get a kick out of seeing someone else displaying them on their lawns)... but rather just decorate the facia of the house with the white icicles that stretch across the front. Up goes the wreath on the door, and once again, everything looks festive and somewhat elegant without that Clark Griswold touch. Don't get me wrong, I do love to drive around at night to see the lights and decorations of the neighbors, I just don't go too overboard myself. It's just enough... just a touch, to let everyone know that I do celebrate the season.
Besides, putting everything up is easy.... taking it all down (New Years Day) is the part that's very time consuming. I never could quite understand that, but came to realize that it was akin to a popped balloon.... the party was over, and now it was time for the clean-up crew to come in and manage the clean-sweep; not always the favorite job to any end of the festivities, and rather a downer, if you ask me.

So, with a quick stop to the local Starbucks, nicely located in front of my local Lowes, a chance for my husband and I to sip down some warm holiday liquid and nibble a cookie or two, it's off to search for the perfect tree today.... and somehow, just somehow, I know that it is all I need to revive my tired bones and get into the spirit. After all, I did manage to mail out all my packages, bake all my cookies and breads, and put together my "non-list" of Christmas presents, leaving me well on schedule and not so harried. Why I might even take a little nap this afternoon since I'm so caught up after all. Besides, starting next week is when the city of Atlanta has decided to hold all of their parties (both personal and corporate) and I will be very busy dealing with fruit and cheese trays and everything yummy to make their occasions a success.... I might as well grab the chance to rest while I can.

My hope (besides world peace) is that everyone enjoys their weekend and all the spirit it arises in you from your former "child eyes"........

2 Comments:

Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

You're way ahead of me this year! Of course I'm pretty distracted with other priorities. Still can't decide what to do for cards, n got 2 b-days comin up this week...
Decs are gonna wait a bit longer. Time to get on the ball alright!

6:17 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle- I finally got everything else done... well almost everything. Tree went up yesterday with the outside lights, and today we bought a few more presents on Chris' "list". Just have to finish cards.

I will be doing many parties in the next few weeks, so I'm beginning to feel the strain, if only in my mind. I have lots of equipment to put together, and pack-outs to do for the parties that I haven't even started yet.

It's like this every year... but we always get through it, so I need to chill a little and let it just happen. I figure that I got my mail outs done, and that was a major relief... the rest was more mind challanging than anything else. LOL!

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home