Monday, December 19, 2005

recovering from the parties......

Finally the day has arrived that my alarmclock didn't have to be set for 4 AM.... No rush to jump out of bed to make sure that all equipment is packed, food bought, and directions taken for the next Christmas party that someone just remembered that they had to sponsor this year. I was able to get up on my own at 7 AM, after a long restful night of sleep, and great dreams of finishing my own shopping for my husband and son. The pressure is off, and life is manageable again.

During the last couple of weeks, my two partners and I have catered over 60 parties, ranging in sizes of 7 to 300 people each. Needless to say, this is my busiest time of year, and the state of Georgia, sales and use tax division, will receive their fattest check yet from us. This is a tricky procedure that Georgia plays on us each month, as we do not have a universal sales tax across the state. Depending on the county we deliver to, the sales tax could range anywhere from 5 - 7%, which then has to be divided out for the state in order for them to make sure the monies are distributed to each county by their special codes. This is a procedure I handed over to my bookkeeper a few years back with the explanation that I "take, cook, and deliver" the beans, not count them.

This is also the time of year that does not come without it's share of injuries and minor malfunctions, and 2005 was no exception. Luckily I did not break a toe as I have in the past, but instead ended up with a nice size bruise (size of a baseball) on my leg. I just didn't see that trailer hitch on the back of the truck and whammed into it in all my haste to make sure I packed every bit of equipment for a particular job. (Yes, I saw stars!... and yes, I cursed; another bad habit of mine that I forgot to list on my last post.) I also managed to slice my middle finger open, which I chalk up to karma, as I have used it freely to cuss out one of my partners who deems himself "boss" in our partnership. Of course he never sees me use it, but apparently God did; hence my injury.

On any given day during December, we were able to deliver anywhere from one to eleven jobs to customers in the metro (and not so metro) areas of Atlanta. One person who works in a restaurant next to our kitchen asked us where we were going that day, and in my tired and fragile mind of the moment I answered: "every fucking corner of the God-damned state of Georgia". Ok.... you have never seen me swear before, and I will never do it again, but in order to get my point across, I decided not to delete or soften the words, as I did say them, and will expect my karma points to lessen due to my foul temper. My Neanderthal methods have a way of surfacing when I am exhausted, and beyond reasoning with myself that self-control is a virtue.... besides, I always feel immediately better after I get the madness out. It is somewhat like releasing a pressure valve of steam for me.... then I can continue on with the work at hand, being my jolly little self again. Short bursts of anger, not necessarily directed at anyone, and only after I've had more than I can take, is usually my key to keeping the rest of myself intact.

The best part of the job is when we deliver the food, and everyone waiting on their arrival is in a merry mood, salivating over their meal choice for the night. The houses we deliver to are not just your ordinary little abodes.... they are mini mansions (or McMansions, as I call them) in exclusive neighborhoods that you are announced to the recipients from their front gates. Decorations have taken on a new height in these subdivisions, and the lights, trees and all around appearance is that of a winter wonderland.... minus of snow. These people do not put out any plastic Santas or the blow-up Snowmen.... no sir! Wreaths are hung from all outside windows, with their customary candles; and Christmas trees reach up to their 25 foot ceilings fully adorned with lights, bulbs and rather large packages perfectly placed underneath.
Ah, the good life I think.... then my practical side takes over and I wonder how they can afford to pay the mortgage on such a place. But what me worry? As long as they pay my salary for the night (with a nice tip on the side), I give them all my company has to offer... and more. It usually pays off, as I do have quite a few repeat customers who wouldn't consider using anyone else, and in turn recommends me to their friends.

So with only a few more parties to go, I can sit back and relax a little bit, knowing that another December has been executed to it's fullest. I was even able to take yesterday off to go to my husbands family party in Alabama. To be honest with you, that was the best party of all. His family is "good people", loving, warm and wonderful to be with. It usually starts off with a blessing said by a member of the family before we actually get started with the food. This year there was a little twist to the procedures as my brother-in-law announced that we should go around the room and each say what we were particularly blessed with. My turn came, and I choked.... literally! It wasn't because I wasn't grateful... only that I was blessed that I didn't have to cook (or deliver) anything.... and felt that it was out of place for me to say so. Everyone else had said wonderful things about family, friends, safe trips... and here I was only thinking about myself. My husband came to the rescue (after a prolonged silence from me) and took over with his blessing. Now this may seem rather silly to you, but here I was, the only one who did not bow my head in respect with eyes closed as everyone else did... then I choked when my turn came. I felt like an outsider to myself. Being that these are good people... it didn't matter to them a bit, and they were grateful that I had taken the time off to show up, as it is only the second party I've been able to make in the last 14 years or so. Hmmm.... did I mention that this was the best party I have been to all year?

So today I say my blessing, given that I've had time to think about it without managing to juggle parties and equipment in my head at the same time. Here goes:

I am blessed to have a wonderful family, so that I do not always feel like I need to show off my independence to the world. There is a certain a safety net in all of this, that I sometimes take for granted.... and Lord knows, we all need those nets when the bleakest times arrive unannounced.

I am blessed to have all kinds of new friends that I have met through the net, who have become my second support system and allowed me to ramble on about lifes trials and tribulations.

I am blessed to have had that long lecture from my Dad when I was first going out in the world.
He stressed to me that I needed to learn self-reliance, as I needed to become a survivor in the ever-changing matters of life. Depending on other people only went so far, the rest was up to me and the "salable skills" I was now faced with learning.

I am blessed to live in a great environment, with terrific neighbors who watch out for one another. It is one of the reasons that I stay here and have hesitated about moving to a county with taxes that won't break my piggy bank.

Last, but not least, I am blessed to have a true grasp on the little things things in life that make it worth being part of. I truly believe that "with all it's sham and drudgery, it is still a beautiful world".



11 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

Morgs- You know Atlanta!?!? How cool!
Actually, these houses were in the burbs of the city... you know, the "not quite a million dollars" a home... just in the 700's or so. It is pretty cool to be able to see how the other half lives... especially when you see their manicured lawns done by expensive lawn services, and the perfectly clean houses, expensively decorated with the latest and greatest of baubles out there.
The Buckhead folks only use the most expensive caterers in the city, they have a reputation to uphold, you know. We get the folks who have to spare some expense, but still want a lovely spread to show off to their guests.
I figure these pampered housewives have a full time job just ordering around the staff, and running their kiddies off to soccer practice... never mind scrubbing toilets.

Yeah- I do have an awesome family unit... no pretenses about them what-so-ever! My niece brought her boyfriend to the party, and my brother-in-law joked to him about being with a bunch of dysfunctional types. My thought was that these people are the least bit on the dysfunctional side, and a wonderful group of people you'd like to spend Christmas with. We spent the time joking and laughing a lot! Ah, just what the doctor ordered after a long two weeks!

Thanks for the well wishes... and many hugs back to you, my favorite Mayor!

12:08 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Ah, so you're a caterer. Interesting! My best friend, Ozma, would love to do that.

Be careful and don't wear yourself out. It sounds like you are running the danger of doing so.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Saurkraut- Yeah, I'm only too happy to be returning back to normal. Christmas is our busy season, no doubt... only I'm getting a little too old to be hauling around all the cambros of food and equipment.
The best part of the job is that we are going to houses or businesses that are waiting in anticipation of their food... so they are "happy folks". This is so much better than having a restaurant where everyone is a critic.
Best of luck to Ozma... it can be a lot of hard work, but the pay-off can be real nice, especially this time of year.

So glad you stopped by... it took me awhile to get to your posts, but I finally did, as I have been making the rounds this morning (now afternoon) doing so. I should be cleaning up the mess from the weekend that I've already let sit for two days... but what the heck......

1:37 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen -I was blessed to know someone as tireless and kind as you. :)

*hugs*

3:31 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Neo- many, many hugs back! You know I love you to death!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Finally some one threw the party for you! I hate when ya don't know in advance ya gotta do a speech... at least other people helped pick up the slack for ya...
Amazing ya can think at all after all you've kept straight these weeks!
I've been fair at ad-libbing when needed in the past. Don't ask me this week, though!
Chortled at the mid-finger use comment, Dave Letterman n Martha Stuart both cut their hands this week too 9but they got stiches!) Hope your bruise n lacerations heal up quickly!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Argh! 9 = (

5:45 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle- Yeah, I just don't know what makes me snap sometimes.
My middle finger seems to take over... like it has a mind of it's own. I swear I have no control over it!... and look how much trouble it gets me in! LOL!

Injuries are healing well, finally.
When you have to wash a lot of pots and pans, it's hard to keep the finger dry enough to heal, and luckily it was more of a deep foil cut than a knife. (It still smarted!) My partner (the one who's nice) also cut his finger, but on a knife, and the wound was more serious than mine.
The knee is a wonderful shade of purple and red!

Last year I broke my toe and had to limp through the last jobs of the season. This was acquired when I once again "lost my temper" and tried to kick an industrial mop bucket out of the way. It didn't budge. Guess it showed me, huh?

6:24 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen -Awwwwww! *blush*

6:45 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Uh oh, we lost her again. :'(

1:18 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

No, Neo... you didn't lose me, but the parties haven't stopped yet either. (plus I have a mountain of clean-up to do.... tablecloths and napkins have to be washed and folded, silver has to be polished, and everything has to be put away again.)
I have one party tonight, one tomorrow and a wedding the day after Christmas... then a New Years Eve Party. This afternoon I had to lay down and take a power nap just to get through tonight, as I still have a long day ahead of me. These 20 hour days really wear on me! I'm just too old and crickity to run around like a teenager anymore!

Believe it or not, I have a half started post sitting in my save pile, but just can't seem to finish it yet... will try now while I have a few minutes to think of something other than equipment and food.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home