Monday, December 26, 2005

behind the closed door of my refrigerator(s)....

In my line of work, there is always a danger of not having enough, or having too much food ready for any request that might come up at a moments notice. If I don't have enough, I always try to help the requestee with another selection from our menus to something I know that we always have on hand. If I have too much, that quest becomes another matter, as we have to unload it into the garbage because it may have spoiled. This rarely happens, but in the week between Christmas and New Years, orders slow to a trickle... so we do our best to make sure the refrigerators are emptied out a bit.

So here goes the request from "The Matrix" ... done in two parts, as I have three refrigerators.

My refrigerators at home contain:

Milk. As I am a milkaholic, this is one mainstay that I cannot go without, and usually have somewhere between two to three gallons on the ready. Between my son and myself, we go through a gallon a day. I have been known to walk through hurricane force weather to get to the store to buy a gallon when I know we are running dangerously low.

Sweet Tea. What southern refrigerator doesn't have tea? Hello?

Bottled waters. My son likes his water on the go, so do I.

Starbucks Vanilla Frappicino drinks. Yuck! Nobody likes it, that's why it has taken up permanent residence in the corner. (The chocolate ones went fast!)

OJ. Gotta have that vitamin C.

Bases. Sure, you ask, what the heck are those. Every cook has bases. They are the start to every soup or sauce that you need to make... and I probably have them all. Seafood, chicken, beef, roasted red pepper, roasted garlic, etc....

Sauces. Horseradish, cocktail, strawberry topping, chocolate, honey mustard, hoisen, and the customary condiments: mayo, mustard, regular mustard (and dijon), and lemon juice.

Then, there is the usual things such as jelly, eggs, cheeses & butters (several different flavors and types for those who like a little variety), luncheon meat, hot dogs, bacon, cookie doughs (for those last minute presents to the neighbors), banana cake batter, lettuce, cucumbers, red onion, lemons, apples, pineapple, and best of all: a large plate of brownies. The freezer contains different vegetables, waffles, breads, Stoeffers mac & cheese (they make the best!), several varieties of Heathy Choice frozen dinners (that have taken on a life of their own... as nobody eats them anymore) and mini chocolate chips (for the impending banana bread batter in the fridge).

As for christmas leftovers.... well, I do have the best this year. We had a crown roast of lamb for dinner with Boston lobster neuberg in pastry shells. Since it was a mild weather day, we were able to grill our rack of lamb outside for the best of flavors. Needless to say, there were plenty of leftovers that will not last long with me around.

Refrigerators at my commercial kitchen would include: Lasagna (our number 1 best seller, and the best in the world!), cheeses, butters, eggs, lettuce mixes, italian dressing (made by us, and the best in the world also), tomatoes, mushrooms, sauces for every occasion, green olives, and marinara sauce by the barrel. Everything else is in the freezers, and that would include cannoli mix, cheesecakes, dinner rolls, and meats ready to be thawed for the next big catering that comes up.

So you can see, there is no shortage of food in my house, or kitchen. And the funny thing is, my husband is a purchasing agent for the largest hotel in the south. He brings home samples all the time, so we do eat well. Seeing that he is an ex-chef, we always have some new or exciting way to prepare that unexpected surprise that befalls him. We once went to a food show together, and in the haste to coo his purchasing choices, many vendors bestowed upon us the makings of some great meals. We ended up walking out of there with a shopping bag full of goodies. It was almost embarrassing... but not quite.

So be careful what you ask for, Neo, with no digital camera to show off the occupants of my refrigerator, I had to list them, and the list is long and mouth-watering enough for me to end here and dive right into the leftovers and goodies that didn't get devoured yesterday.

9 Comments:

Blogger Neo said...

Ellen -Hmmmm, I know where I'm stopping the next time I come through Atlanta!

I could use to put on a little weight!

Damn, now I'm hungry.

LOL

Thanks!

*hugs*

10:47 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Neo- Lee Ann almost tagged me, but considering what I do for a living, she decided against it. At the time, my fridge was empty, but on the 24th, we went to the farmers market and loaded up. I should know better than to go shopping when I'm hungry... everything looked so good!

Of course you are always welcome to my humble abode when in the vacinity... Atlanta has some wonderful things to see...the new aquarium for example! The best time is in the Spring... when the gardens are bursting with color and the pollen paints new palettes on everything dormant. Hope you don't have allergies!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Now I am hungry, I want to try some of that lobster neuberg and some of that lasagna.
ummm...time for lunch!
Have a wonderful day.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Thanks, Lee Ann! The leftovers in my fridge were calling my name all morning... and I finally relented!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen -Next time I have to head to Florida I'll look ya up. My stuffing has been calling my name all morning. I had to bust out another epic. Now I'm back in the swing. Check out JBI when you get a minute. I think I'm haunted! ;)

3:03 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I'm really full just reading to that! Luckily I don't eat Lamb or seafood, so I slowed down at that part. I'm what ya call the picky eater...
Do ya have a walk-in at home?

6:26 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Neo- me casa, su casa, oh adopted one! I welcome all company to the garden!
I read your epic and left a comment on your blog... see you there.

Snaggle- No walk-in at home, only two fridges and a freezer. When I remodeled several years back, I kept my old fridge and put it in the garage... comes in sooo handy!

Yeah, any small buffet is out of the question when it comes to Christmas, we splurge on ourselves as if it were one of our presents.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen -Thanks!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Morgs- You are too funny, girl!
Yep, lamb... one of my favorites as well, especially done on the grill. Mmm Mmm Good!
I haven't had an implosion yet, but that back-up fridge helps in that area.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home