Wednesday, January 04, 2006

hope in a distant land.....

One story that seemed to grab my attention this past weekend was the outpouring of hope for a little girl born in Iraq. She is three months old and born with a severe spinal cord defect. An innocent child represents all that is good with the world, but this one was born amidst the ugliness of a war that is so random in it's victims. You see, Noor's spinal cord was not fully closed when she was born on September 23. There is a pinkish cyst-like growth that continues to form on her back as a result of her spinal cord not forming naturally during her Mother's pregnancy. Doctors in Iraq had given her no hope of survival.

This hasn't stopped the soldiers of the 1st Battalion, 121st Infantry Regiment's Charlie Company of Georgia from trying. They have taken to adopting Noor. They were on a routine search in December looking for suspected insurgents in the area, when instead they found this beautiful baby girl born to young parents who had also accepted the defect as the will of Allah.

Most of the troops who have been deployed to this area are all young fathers themselves, and to them, Noor, was something good they could do if they could make arrangements to send her overseas to receive the necessary surgery to repair her spine. It is said that she may never be able to walk, regardless... but she may be able to live a healthier life than to be left behind in a country that is still without medical supplies or knowledge of such surgery.

To quote Moni Basu of the Atlanta Journal/ Constitution, who covered the story in Iraq:
"After seven months of grinding urban warfare, Charlie Company soldiers had found a child who reinvigorated their purpose here. Getting Noor to the United States for treatment was a mission that would help them sleep well at night--at least for a night. Someone here at Camp Liberty asked me why the US media were making such a big deal out of one baby. There are, after all, thousands of other Noors in Iraq who desperately need assistance. Their stories may never get told. Perhaps Noor's story did, not for the sake of the child, but for all the other lives she has touched in the most profound of ways. Noor, whose name in Arabic means 'light', stole our hearts and, even if for just a moment, took away the darkness in our lives".

What a beautiful story this is, and to come out of one of the world's most unlikeliest of places. We sit somewhat vigilant in front of our newscasts to hear stories of more soldiers killed, suicides bombers striking the most innocent of victims, and parents on both sides that wonder if it will all come to an end. To see a beacon of "light" shine through it, perhaps gives us reason to believe that our future depends on the generation behind us. If we can wallow through the murk and ugliness to make a future worthy of living in, perhaps we can find a way to bring some peace to an area who's ideals may differ from us, but not so much that they feel it necessary to terrorize our way of life. We, in return, can make it necessary to shed our notion that we are the "worlds police". It's a big step.

Poor Noor, she will probably never get to take the physical steps we enjoy everyday, but her story has taken a big step to setting aside differences long enough to realize that she is a miracle child. She never should have lived this long in the scope of her illness. A little prayer offered to her recovery from surgery is a prayer for all of us.

13 Comments:

Blogger Neo said...

Ellen -I saw this story this morning. And I hate to say it, because all children are precious, but the media is doing some serious spinning on this. How many tens of thousands are worse over there?

It's a feel good propoganda piece.

I hope she comes out of surgery safe as well.

Peace,

- Neo

3:28 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I think the point of the (spin) over-coverage about the baby is, it's been very tough to find anything positive about the whole war. If that little girl makes it, it's one very good thing coming out of so much misery.
Every child deserves a prayer of hope. Noor was lucky to find the soldier "guardian angels," hope her luck holds out!

7:03 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Neo- Yes, the media does it's spinning, as it always will... look how they ran with the mine story before the actual facts came out?
And, yes, there are many, many more who need help. We will not be able to save them all... heck, we can't even take care of most of our own. It's just that every once in awhile, I like to hear a story out of Iraq that doesn't include a score of who's killed, or terrorist suicide bombers.
Propaganda or not, I needed to hear something good for the new year... a positive start for someone so unable to comprehend her own consequences.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle- Bingo! You said it better than me. As soon as I commented, your comment popped up, and I thought, Yup!, That's what I meant!

I am also very proud that my state adopted her for care. We have been told that they plan to change her name to Georgia if she recovers. I think that may be going a little too far... and think Noor is a pretty name, with a beautiful meaning... all by itself.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Those stories are so sad, I have trouble even watching them.
Very well written post, Ellen.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Lee Ann- Thanks, sweetie. I'm with you on the stories... sooo much sadness.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen -I know what you mean, we all need something positive to hear about. But it just irks me when our tax dollars (In the billions) are paying for all of this.

My thing is this, and I'm not trying to offend you for saying it. You've never known me to be anything but straight up.

When I see the pain they've gone to for this 1 girl; given it's a miracle she's alive. I think about those here at home that have no health care.

And that means if you don't, and you have cancer, or something else, you don't get that medical treatment.

I only wish that as the media was circulating this story they'd have mentioned that right after or before. Just to put some perspective on it, before they use this child in their sick PR games. You know?

Peace,

- Neo

8:56 PM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

it is nice to hear something positive for a change.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Neo- No, I was in no way offended by your comments, sweetie! I know you better than that.
I guess I never really saw the story as a "PR propaganda thing". I read the article in our paper by the journalist who witnessed it all first hand and was so struck by her account. It was my "feel good" moment to all the misery that I see around the world. If I had to read and see endless accounts of all the bad stuff, it would surely drive me insane. I am a "bleeding heart", and misery to me devestates my soul. I need the good stories to surface in order to keep myself in balance.

You are completely right as far as other terrible things out there that need our attention and care.
Somehow it's not right that we can't attend to our own... and there is so much of it that needs our attention. But where to start, huh?

I heard that the US government was paying some newspapers in Iraq to print positive "propaganda" in their papers.... now there's a waste of money if I ever saw one.

Citysoul- Thanks for stopping by!
Yeah, it is nice to hear a positive story every once in awhile.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen -Thanks for understanding. You know I usually speak from my heart. *hugs*

6:12 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Laura- Thanks for stopping by... and yes, it's a good thing for this little girl. Maybe we will see a day when we can save more!

Neo- *Hugs*, oh adopted one! Not only do I know you speak from your heart, I know you have a very big heart!

11:24 PM  
Blogger Milk Brain said...

that is a sweet story, and it reminds me of all the siamese twins that come into this country from poor countries that don't have any way of getting the necessary surgery at home. the doctor's don't car about where teh child came from or what political mess is going on in their country. all they want to do is help the child, b/c all children deserve hope. i hadn't heard this story yet.. but no surprise, even though we get the paper every morning we often dont' get a chance to read it. it's not the world's best newspaper either, by any means.

but a story like this does make me wonder how many other people have they turned down who aren't insured, to get the one most touching human interest story? just makes you wonder....

6:58 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

MB- Very true... and I'm sure there are stories that we will never hear. Remember, the first rule of reporting is: If it bleeds, it leads. The people who have fallen through the cracks of our medical health system is appalling.
We do have some hope in our country for children to receive better health care and medications through the St. Jude Hospital Foundation. It is there that no child will EVER be turned away due to financial hardships. We seldom see those stories or write-ups in the newspapers.
Due to the wonderful work that Marlo Thomas has continued on in her fathers footsteps, the parents of these ill children can concentrate on the issue of the illness at hand, and not have to wonder how they will pay for the bills.
It's all baby-steps, but at least a ray of hope in a somewhat bleak situation. And every once in awhile, it's just refreshing to hear one that made it through ok.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home