Thursday, January 12, 2006

fighting the good fight......

A long time ago I used to work for a large grocery chain located in the burbs of Atlanta. It was a good stepping stone for me until I eventually realized what I wanted to do for a real job. At the store I had a wonderful manager who took me under her wings and pushed me past the limits of what I thought were my abilities. Her name was Inga, and she was every bit of the feisty and fair person I needed to adopt me and teach me new heights. One day, Inga and I were discussing food orders and job chores when another one of my associates came up to us. He didn't feel it was fair that he had to go around our food court and empty the waste baskets. To my surprise, Inga let him off the hook and engaged someone else to do the duty. When I asked her about it later and said that I would have demanded him to do said duty, she replied: "Sometimes you have to choose your battles, dear". I didn't quite understand it fully at the time, and was about ready to slap the guy upside his head in my own defiance, but just let the matter drop.... but not the advise.

Recently, I have come to realize that those words are golden. During this past week, I have been embroiled in a war of words with some people attacking my nephew on his blog. Without going into all the details, I would like to send you to his site to read all that has been going on.
It shouldn't be a funny thing to read about, but it is because it has gotten so far out of hand by a few individuals.... hence making it a hilarious, but scary read. His address is: www.dailymess.com . You would have to read the post "11:00 news", then "Am I Being Unfair?"... although there is a link on Unfair to read the original post.

What started as a somewhat harmless post, then forgotten, has turned into monster that keeps growing and growing. Somehow my comments on it have gotten quite a bit of attention as well, as several people have wished me harm or called me unspeakable names. Geez... little old me, and so much attention! The best part is that my nephew has taken off any links to other sites, so as to have it all contained to his site. This turns out to be for safety reasons... as it is quite heated and laden with threats.

So at this point you are probably wondering why I continue when the threats are a bit scary.
Well for one reason, we're talking family here.... need I say more? The other reason is because I like a good fight. By good, I am referring to a fight where I know I'm right in my convictions without resorting to profanity, name calling and smoke-screening the facts. Yes, I do have a bad habit of swearing... but I keep 99% to myself, and never comment on anyone's blog using it.
I try to stick to the facts by not calling people names or threatening their lives in order to get my point across. To me that is the mature road to take. So knowing that I am keeping my head, staying calm, cool and collected, is making this a good fight for me..... besides, if I look past all the profanity and mentally picture the person mouthing off, I have to laugh.

Dailymess has been asked by a concerned anonymous friend to remove the posts, but I'm not sure what my nephew will do. It took over 50 comments on one post, and 14 on the second one, which bounced his blog into Google search results.... making number 9. With those numbers, he says he has never had a better relationship with google than now.

I hope you will all have a chance to read it soon and come to your own conclusions. And before I forget.... if you have eyes that bleed, this is not a post you will want to read. The comment section is riddled with a ton of profanity.... and a good amount is lashed at me, but mostly my nephew. Happy reading, y'all!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ellen, hopefully I took down the link to your site (and others) before anyone had a chance to visit or bookmark them.

I appreciate you sticking up for me in your comments, and here on your site. Despite numerous requests, I have no intention of taking the post or any of the comments down. I too find the entire thing hilarious, and will continue to encourage this flaming war... as it has provided yet another form of entertainment to my already crazy life.

-Ryan

6:13 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Ryan- No problem! I don't think I was ever linked in the first place, and know people who commented and used different names so they wouldn't have to deal with it on their blogs, or in their life personally... if you know what I mean.....

Yahoo!!! I'm glad your're keeping it up. I love a good fight, and this one has me guarded but laughing at the same time. You're tops in my book by standing your ground. Kudos to Marci, Bryan, TJ and Old Man!

xoxoxox!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen -There's always a tool in the shed. And yes, sometimes you have to be careful what you mention. It was smart of your nephew to take the links down. :)

7:31 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I think the profanity shows the quality of people who are posting it. And I left a comment on his site, but am rethinking it... ;o)

8:15 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Hey Ellen, after thinking it over, would you ask Ryan to modify my comment? I just don't want crazies hunting me down. ;o)

8:18 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Saurkraut- I dashed off an e-mail to him to have him modify your comment. I worried about this as well, but remembered that there was no way they could trace it back to me because you cannot click on the name and go to a persons site. Ryan would have to link you seperately for that to happen. Since he is an IT Prof, this site is wholly modified by him, and impossible for anyone to get into it.

I loved your comment over there...
BRAVO for speaking the truth!

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen -Check your email.

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saurkraut-
I made the change so that anyone who hasnt seen it yet, won't. For those of us that have, it may take a couple minutes and a couple refreshes until it disappears.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

Ellen: I'm getting ready to go over to his site now. I have to. I don't know if you were visiting my site yet or not, but I had the same thing happen on mine a few months ago...by some racist idiot. I, too, kept his comments up and even posted about it...he eventually went away. But I am NOT one to step down. Good Going!!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Jin- Happy reading! Let me know what you think.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Now I am curious Ellen. I will check it out.
I hope it turns out ok for everyone.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Wow, guess I've been missin out on account of my puter probs, I'll catch-up on it soon tho

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home