Sunday, February 05, 2006

recovering a post.....

Friday night was a nice quiet night around the homestead. What a perfect opportunity to sit down and post.... which I did. Because I am one of those who edit, and re-edit... I finally called it a night to think over things before I published. My internal clock work me up at 5am Saturday, and I hopped out of bed with the intention of getting into the computer to finish what I had started.

After a nice cup of green tea was brewed, I started my usual re-read, re-edit, and mental massage of how I was going to finish off my post. All went well, and after the spell-check did it's magic, and I published. I came back all day to check for comments, and even traveled through my links to see if anybody else was up and at it. Nothing. Thinking this was a little odd, but certainly not alarming, I just wrote it off to a busy weekend for everybody. Even this morning I went through the same process of checking. My post was still there, but no comments. No problem, after all don't most people sleep in on Sundays anyway?

I went about my day, did some antique hunting, read the paper, did some grocery shopping, and came home to start dinner. A quick check to my blog, and POOF!....my post is missing. I know I am still a plebe at this blogging adventure (I still can't paste, or do anything as fancy as anyone else), but I do know how to publish. Where would it go? I checked the "edit post" area, and found that my work from Friday no longer existed. Huh? What did I do this time?

Well, with no knowledge on how to recover the post, it now belongs to cyberspace.... along with a few messages that I have left on cell phones that people never received. I sometimes wonder if in the future, all these lost "items" won't show up somewhere.... along with all the socks that have mysteriously made it out of the dryer without my help.

I hope everybody had a wonderful weekend. It's been cold in Atlanta, even though the daffodils have been tricked into budding early because of the unseasonably warm weather we've been having prior to this weekend. We are even expecting snow tomorrow.... which means the city shuts down. Ah, great opportunity to redo that post, and hope it sticks this time.

6 Comments:

Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Wow, kinda makes me glad I didn't get to post to lose it, after all the work I've had to go through to do it lately!
I'm amazed my machine is workin at the moment!

Hope it doesn't snow too much to frost all the blossoms on your daffodils!
Hey, my huge Christmas Cactus, which was my moms, just started blooming like crazy a month late! It's a pink one.

It's only 1:30 am, just caught up on your blog finally-

1:29 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle- So glad to see the puter was working for you today!
Isn't it funny how they have a mind of their own?

Well, here it is: Monday AM.... and nothing yet as far as snow goes. But then, they always cover their butt and say to be aware of a "winter storm watch". Which means maybe... not sure... perhaps...etc......
The daffodils got tricked, like they do every January. We have had milder weather in January than in February for the past few years.
Even the snapdragons and dianthus are starting to show up. Oh well, at least I have left most of the beds covered by the leaves... it's a few sneaky ones that bypassed their blankets.

BTW- I read a comment over at JBI of how Neo said to put posts into notebook first. If I were a little more savy on this I would have done it... but have no idea on the process. Help, guys!

8:19 AM  
Blogger Milk Brain said...

ya know, i wanted to post a comment on your post that vanished, but it wouldn't let me, said something about errors, or that it was not allowed or something. if i could remember what your post was i'd comment on it now, but alas, my abilitly to retain memories has failed me once again. oh well. i think it was blogger acting are weird, b/c even my page was being weird and having a hard time connecting and not publishing after i posted it was bizarre. a bunch of neos readers commented on it too, so it must've been the site. oh well.

it's snowing today... just a light snow and aless than a quarter inch on the ground out here. the temps are starting to cool down again.. now let's just hope it doesn't turn into 90 degrees the first week of may like it did wheni was in college... the year we had no spring.. lol that was not a fun time to be living in the dorms, especially b/c they hadn't shut the heat off on campus yet!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Oooops.... I spoke too soon! It just started snowing here. Chris just got dressed to go to school in his usual shorts. I had to tell him to look out the window before making the trip. He apparently was not watching the weather channel.... and too busy doing his homework last night.
I just hope the driving will not be affected, as I still worry about him on the road.

MB- Yeah, crazy old blogger just deleted the whole post. It made me a little PO'd as I had spent a considerable amount of time getting it just right. (it was about pedophiles and the Dateline show of the stings they made.) It was up for all of Saturday and still there Sunday morning, so I don't know how it just disappeared like that. Ya think I could remember it by heart with as many times that I re-read and re-edited it....

BTW- In the time I started this comment, it was snowing, and has now stopped again.... we do have some crazy systems down here! One year we had only one week of spring, then it went right into the hot steam of summer.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - I was up very early that morning and I noticed it almost right away. I was saving to my drafts but it kept disappearing.

Luckily for me, I always used wordpad or notepad to save my entry in the event that blogger freaks out.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

2:40 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Neo- I hate to sound really stupid, but I have no idea what wordpad or notepad are. I am one of those people that just got sat in front of a computer and told to produce miracles. I did get your instructions, but we already know what a problem instructions are for me... hahaha!

Thanks, though, you are a dear for being so helpful!

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home