Wednesday, February 01, 2006

tagged by Jin on 8 points to the perfect lover....

Hmmmm..... let's see. When you get to be my age, you tend to worry less about the romance stuff then you do about keeping the mortgage and college tuition payments in on time. That's not to say that romance dies, just that the mountain of life shifts, and you fall into a "comfortable" rather than a "lust" situation. That said, my points are drastically different than when I was in my 20's.

my 40's mind:

1) Being home and cooking a great meal together (he's a chef, I'm a caterer... enough said)

2) Likes to go shopping as much as I do (not a problem with the hubby)

3) Has no problem with getting his hands dirty doing yard work, painting, remodeling, etc.
(again, not a problem in our household)

4) Getting flowers on all the important days, and not so important ones (hubby gets A+)

5) Knows when he is getting good advise, and knows how to smooth me down to see his.

6) Ending the day by sitting on the back porch and chewing the fat or discussing politics.
(nothing like sitting in the garden to solve the world's problems after a busy day)

7) Setting some free time away to sit at Starbuck's and read the Sunday paper.
(we're big fans, and get our Sunday paper on Saturday. Added benefit is that we take their
used coffee grounds for fertilizer in the gardens)

8) Knowing when it's ok to have quiet moments and space without each other.

*********************************************************************

my 20's mind:

1) Great personality

2) Humorous... but not in a dorky clown sort of way

3) A "people" person

4) intelligent

5) Able to put up with my silly quirks

6) Someone who saw the same picket fence house I did

7) Handy, and able to teach me how to be more handy

8) George Clooney handsome


Needless to say, I'm at the age where comfortable is romantic. There are so many ways to keep romance going, and everyone has their methods. What counts is that both parties develop compromise as it's a situation that will evolve over time, and the relationship will shift here and there to prove it's existence. It's not about changing the other person to fit what you want, it's about acceptance of them, and your ability on how you handle that.

Ok.... enough said on that! I'm about the last person you'd ever want lovelorn advise on.

Now, according to Jin's tag, I must tag 8 other people to do this.... but I'm going to leave it all up to you. Feel free to play along... even if you want to leave it in my comment area.

Y'all have a great day!

9 Comments:

Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Hey I didn't think that was bad advice/list. :)

That's great that you both understand one another. I think that is a big blessing!

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

4:31 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Neo- Yeah, that's what happens sometimes, you just get to the point where you learn to understand one another... and it is a big blessing!

Luckily, he has a very moderate temper... which is good. (And son has adapted Dad's personality... so life's pretty boring around our household).

4:55 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Hmmm, don't worry if I ever get down there one of these days I'll take them out to the bar and get them some tequilla. ;) j/k

Well, maybe not....

It's cool though, you're very lucky :)

7:26 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I was tagged with this by Jonathan, mine goes up on Friday!
I like your 8 points!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Neo- A good dinner to a Cajun restaurant would spark more with the boys... they love spicy foods.
Me... I'm the acid reflux sufferer and would have to go with the milkshake deluxe. Besides, son is not old enough to drink yet... nor do I think he ever will. He is one of those very healthy sorts, and doesn't like to put "poisons" in his body. The teachers in elementary school warned me about this years ago. They said I would probably never experience the angst that other parents would go through, as son is TOO OCD... and to this date, I haven't yet.
But, hey, I'll join you for that drink... even though I'm a cheap drunk. It's gotta be a milk-based, and only a few. Ha Ha!

Lee Ann- Thanks! Simple stuff, but then at my age, it all boils down to that. I can't wait to see your list! With all the HNT's you've posted, we all know you have classic tastes.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

what, we can't have it all?

This is interesting, because it reminds me of the exercise that I always did every year or so, and one that I suggest to my patients as well. If you're not sure if you want him, or if you're looking for Mr. Right, you need to know WHAT you're looking for. So, you make a list of your needs and wants, and it supposedly helps put it all in perspective.

The key word is 'helps'.

Because the truth is that no one can have all that we want all the time. I am currently trying to sort my OWN relationship. Sometimes he's everything on BOTH of your lists, sometimes he's not. ;o)

7:48 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Fun post, check out my Groundhog Day post. We have it up here in Canada too.

Scott

11:07 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Scott- Thanks for stopping by! I did jump over to your blog and read about the groundhog originations.... fascinating! I learned a new thing today... thanks! Again, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Ellen Jay- Hi! So nice to hear from a fellow Ellen!... and so glad you stopped by!
Yeah, George... whoa baby, be still my heart. It helps to know that he has a villa in Italy, as it makes him even more georgeous.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Saurkraut- Wouldn't it be nice to have it all? I'm only too glad I wasn't tagged to tell the things that irk me.... that list would make me out to be a witch.
Ah, but such is life and relationships, huh?

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home