Thursday, February 09, 2006

following the yellow brick road.......

I had always imagined in my adolescence that I would grow up, but not grow old. It's not that I'm ancient, but I grew up in the generation that spawned the phrase: "Never trust anyone over 30". I was born in the middle of the boomer age, and life just got better everyday, because the world was changing, and we were just at the beginning of our lives. Many good years were ahead because technology was making our lives easier, medicines actually cured people, and TV had modernized our world.

Although my parents were strict, and discipline was the order of the house, my parents had a knack for raising good kids. We may not have thought so at the time, but the proof is in the pudding, and we all turned out well. They found importance in things we were learning, and made it their mission to bring us places all the time. Perhaps this is where my passion for history and geography first took roots. All outings with Dad took us to historical events or places. I even remember him lining us all up in front of the TV to watch John Glenn's orbit of the earth. I was real little, but remember the black and white images well.

Since I was the only girl, Mom made me tag along with her most of the time..... and that was ok because we either went shopping or visiting. Shopping was cool, because I still love to do that today (although it's more like drooling and wanting.... and can't afford). Visiting was ok too, because they'd plop me in front of the TV, and I was addicted. Back then, there were only three channels, and all in black and white. I still found something, even if it was an old Greer Garson movie. In the meantime, Dad would take the boys, and go off doing some other fun things with them. I have to admit, our family vacations were great! We were able to see many more places beyond our scope of Connecticut and New Hampshire, where we grew up.

So what's not to like about having a life like that? Nothing. Then I grew up and realized that it was a lot harder work being the adult, than it was being the kid. Suddenly my parents became wise and all-knowing, and now I was going to have to do this too. I didn't have too much adulthood with my Mother, as she died when I was 21. But her words still resonate in my head from time to time. (We've all heard them.... you know... "Wait till you have kids of your own", "When you move out, then YOU can make the rules. Until then, this is my house and my rules", and the ever popular: "Because I said so!"). It's amazing the number of times I've actually repeated them verbatim to my son.

This road of life hasn't always been easy, but it sure has been interesting. I never knew I was experiencing the full effect of the tornado that brought me here, as it all happened so fast. Why just yesterday I was diapering a baby, and today I am sending him off to college. To think at the time, I was worried that he wouldn't make it OUT of diapers. How's that for a tornado? Like Dorothy, I've met the most interesting people along the way. Most will remain friends for life, because we shared some type of bond that drew us together in the first place. Besides, one can never have enough friends!

The yellow bricks of the road were not always set in place securely, and there were many times I tripped. My will is stronger, and I did not stay down for long. My rational mind told me that I needed to pick myself up, dust myself off, and start all over again. I was lucky that my rational mind already knew how to beat up the depressing, self-pity mind, as it saw me through many character building situations.

I finally came to realize that I was my own best friend, as well as worst enemy. If I could reconcile and come to terms with that, I could actually get a handle on this thing called life. There were no patterns, only hands-on occurrences that got thrown at me constantly, and usually at the most inopportune times. It was all a matter of which was really good for me, and which was not. As the angel and devil on my shoulders held their discussions over it, I also learned to listen to my gut feeling. It takes a lot of practice, and I still goofed many times, but with age comes some amount of wisdom. It's the great reward, if you've still maintained your sanity by that time.

I've been delving through my links and reading all the stories about everyones lives, trials and tribulations. Let me tell you first, that you are all in my prayers. I feel like I've come to know you all in a special friendship, and you've all been very kind to me. I hate the problems that are plaguing your lives, and if I could, I'd wish them all away. That I am a mere mortal, I can't.

The best I can do is tell you that it is all part of life, the good, bad and ugly. We are not all on the same path, but we are all in the same forest. We all have to walk the path the best way we see fit.... and looking for Oz still contains the field of poppies before it. Even with friends to help you along, it still might be difficult to get through the front door. If you do get past the guard, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain; remember, your will and determination are far more important! What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger, right? How do I know this........ because I said so!

14 Comments:

Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

Wow! Awsome post ellen. Coincidentally (if you believe in that sort of thing) I put up a similar post today. I wrote it about six months ago, but this is the first time it's been published. Only about three or four others besides myself have ever read it. Ahhh, the road of life.

~Mike

7:10 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

I loved your post, and you put the words of your journey together so well. I saw so many similarities and great explanations to points I still had a hard time putting my finger on.
After reading your post, I came away even more enlightened than before. Thanks so much for sharing!

Yeah, the road of life.... tis a puzzlement at times, huh? It's all in the management though, isn't it?

7:24 AM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

oh ellen...that was so great! "we are not on the same path, but in the same forest" so well said. I love it. I've been away for the past week, working and the flu, so I haven't had much energy to write or read, but I missed everyone. Thanks for writing such a great post...so good to come back to.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Cool post, funny how much of an impact our parents have on us. I find myself talking like my Father... it is getting a little weird sometimes.

Very well written...

Scott

11:18 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Citysoul- I am so sorry to hear you've been sick... just a bad time of year for those cold bugs to attack. But whenever is there a good time? So glad you stopped by. I was wondering how you were doing with your "ghosts"?


Scott- Yeah, we can't help but become our parents... it's in the genes, as well as etched in the brain from the teachings. Trust me, you will do the same when you have kids.... it's inevitable.


Ellen Jay- Why I'm flattered! I've been trying to get over to your post to read, but blogger is suffering from it's own senior moments right now.


To all-- Thank you for the kind words.... I hope you recognized yourselves as some the friends I spoke about meeting "along the way".

2:41 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

OK, I've just discovered you're older than me. But we still have a great deal in common, no doubt!

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. I've only started ironing out my OWN relationship w/ my mom in these years, and I'm glad I didn't miss it. I realize it must haunt you, the "what ifs", etc.

You've definately acquired a vast amount of wisdom along the way. You know, she'd be very proud of you.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Thanks for the good cry there.

****HUGS*****

You're right, sometimes you have to dust yourself off. Hard to do in the middle of that tornado though.

Eventually the clouds have to clear and the beautiful blue sky will shine out in our eyes again.

Sometimes we just have to hang onto that pole and wait for the winds to calm down right?

Obviously your parents raised you right, and I'm more than sure your mother is smiling down on you from heaven knowing the fact that she taught you to be the beautful soul you are today. With that you can rest easy.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

PS. You have a typo in your 4th paragraph (double 'we')

;)

LOL

luv ya!!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

PPS... I love the Abby Hoffman quote about "Never trust anyone over 30."

9:43 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Saurkraut- Yeah, older 40's... but my mind still thinks like I'm in my 20's. It is true what they say about age being a state of mind!
I am glad to hear you say we are a great deal alike, as I really admire your style. You are one classy chick!
I have always missed my Mom, but didn't feel it so much till I had my son, and no one to really turn to. There were many times I did hit the "what if" button. Luckily, her words were often there, even if she wasn't.


Neo- Oh dear, I hope I didn't make you cry! This post was really for you, as you inspired me to share a formula I had to adapt and get a handle on. I've been where you're at many times over, and finally realized that all things begin and end with me and my attitudes. I could choose to be mad at life, but didn't want to face the "pearly gates" with loads of regrets. Soul cleansing is a hard job, but well worth the effort in the long run.


Thank you both for the kind words.
My Dad, in his last years, assurred me that both he and my Mom were very proud of me as well as my brothers... it's only a good thing they didn't know half of the trouble I really was.
For all their efforts, they deserved a gold medal.

1:46 PM  
Blogger neal said...

Great post. It is amazing how everyones life is a journey to some far off destination that you can only dream of.

I used to think that my life was all planned out and that all I had to do was live it and then I would get to my dream. Then reality hit me and I began to think that it was Karma that was guiding me.

Now I kinda think that we still live our lives but we can change the destination by the choices we make. I don't just mean choices concerning careers, places to live, and whether you choose to be a drunkard or a tea totaller. I mean about attitudes too. You can feel that the world owes you everything or you can feel that you have to go out and earn what you want. You can look at it like the cup is half full or half empty. Attitudes play a big part in my life now. I try not to let the small things get to me so much. I still get upset over some things, like when my son doesn't apply himself fully. I think that whatever you do in life you should do it to the best of your ability. If you aren't as good at it as someone else, fine, at least you gave it your best.

I may still complain about things I know in my gut I cannot change but when I do complain it is on the principle of things, not just because I like to whine.

Anyways, good post. I am gonna miss visiting these blogs shortly. Spring time is around the corner and my bonsai trees take up 90% of my free time from March-October.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Hey it's ok, crying is always cleansing right?

The truth as you put it, is so hard to contemplate right?

We all have our roads to choose, and I'm too young to waste time searching. I am blessed to have such a beautiful soul such as you to reach out and teach me something.

This is by far, one of your best posts.

*hugs*

- Neo

3:55 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Neal- Thanks for stopping by!
I've been over to your blog several times, and enjoyed all of your posts! You're take on Abbott and Costello and the computer age was so funny, you had me rolling on the floor!
True about the things that push buttons.... my son had that same special ability to not apply himself fully either. What I couldn't understand was that he could have had FREE collage tuition if he maintained an 80% in High School. He missed by two points. Now he has to pay his own way, and I see him applying with full effort. Amazing that the power of the wallet speaks louder than parents, huh? If he brings his marks up, he will qualify for our states Hope scholarship, and tuition will be paid for next year. Quite a motivator, and attitude changer!


Neo- I'm so glad that you see crying as a soul-cleanser. I've always thought a real good cry was great for the soul, and it amazes me how well I feel after. Of course, I do not do it in public, but in the privacy of my own bedroom..... can't have the mascara running down my face you know.... it's just not the southern way! haha!
...and no, sweetie, tis I, whom is blessed.... xoxoxox

4:19 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Here I am, finally- (Saturday)... sorry I missed out on happenings, wasn't a choice for me this week.

Excellent post, n agree with CitySoul's comment that "we're all on paths in the same forest" is a brilliant analogy!

I think it's great when the paths cross unexpectedly, and we meet other travelers who brighten our way. Don't know what I would've done without crossing paths with you travelers on the "yellow blog road" this past year, myself.

It made me cry too! Good writing!

10:47 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle- I've missed you, and am so glad you were able to stop by!

I agree that it's been a great experience walking the yellow blog road. I've met some of the most wonderful people with good hearts, good minds, and kind natures... as well as walked away with knowledge on subjects I knew little of. The extension of friendship has been an amazing experience.

Thank you for your lovely compliment... it's always a pleasure to have you in the garden!

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home