Monday, February 20, 2006

a job nobody really wants......

Trying to decide whether they should call George Washington "His Excellency" or some other regal name, our first President simply said that "Mr. President" would do just fine. It was then that the history of leaders to America was really born. These first men were not politicians, per se; indeed, most were farmers or businessmen. One thing they had in common was the idea that they needed to secede from British rule, and build a nation based on freedom, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Seems like an easy thing to do, huh? First you have to convince the country ruling you that you no longer wanted to have any ties, or pay taxes to them. Then you have to fight a war to press your point. Upon winning the war, the real hard work begins. Now you have to set up a system to govern the people. Great minds and wordsmiths gather to put a list of rules in effect, and in our case, the Articles of Confederation and Constitution are born.

That it is agreed upon to have a strong central government, a leader must be chosen, and on April 30, 1789, George Washington held the first priviledge of being President. In his wake, forty-two men would follow him into service, holding the highest office of our nation. It would be a job that required much of anyone who took the oath of office. History shows us that it was, and is not an easy job. There were great and not so great leaders among them. Some due to poor circumstance, and some due to poor decision making, left a few with a "not so favorable" legacy.
However, there were a few that remain fond in our minds, and we've even carved a few faces in Mt. Rushmore to preserve our reverence to them. In Washington D.C., you will find monuments and museums abundant with historical data, statues and paintings; all of which fill in the missing pieces about each man that became President.

We know that each man that took up residence in the White House had many obstacles to overcome. Besides the consensus of your fellow constituents, you had to be voted in by the people, to work for the people. This could prove to be a heavy weight to carry around. In a few instances, some men coming into office endured some personal tragedies prior to walking through the front door. In four other cases, the nation grieved the loss of a President from assignation. In all cases, each man that served came away looking years older than their age.

As much as we believe it to be the "Top Kahuna" of jobs, it is demanding, and it's hard to get it right. If you look through history, each election year since 1789 holds it's problems of trying to get the right person into office, and we hold that same tradition today. It's never been an easy task, and never will be. As a nation, we want to believe that the man we vote in has our best interests at heart, after all, we are his employers and need the reassurance that he is on our side. We also need him to be proficient in world affairs. Since the world has gotten considerably smaller due to aviation and technology, this has become an important element to our survival. We are sadly still looking for such a candidate.

If the job of President were part of a want-ad page, it might read something like this:

WANTED~ Someone who likes to work long hours. Must be able to manage over 280 million people, make snap decisions and oversee government. Benefits, plenty; rewards, few. House and staff included. All those with thin skin need not apply.

Perhaps the next election will give us some choices we can really work with, as we are long overdue. The challenge will be difficult to whoever lands in the Oval Office, as the war on terror will march into the future. It is not going to go away when our present President leaves in a few years, as much as we'd like it to. If you look through the annals of history, you will see men who accepted the challenge, only to come away beaten, tired and broken by the office. They, too, had to oversee wars, internal discontent, and failing economies. They all went in with good intentions, and came away with heavy shoulders that sagged under the weight of the office. This makes me wonder why anybody in their right mind would ever want this for a job.

16 Comments:

Blogger Lee Ann said...

I certainly would never want that job! You would always have someone mad, you would never be able to please everyone!
You are definitely right about this!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Always something to learn here. very interesting stuff.

Scott

11:06 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

lee ann~ Yeah, the thin skinned person would never last a minute in this position.

Even worse is the position of the First Lady. She is expected to fully involve herself without having too much of an opinion, strictly work on a volunteer basis, and somehow keep a sense of decorum about her while her husband is being attacked from all sides.
Although I am not a fan of the current administration, I do find that I like Laura Bush. I see her as the epitome of grace under fire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

scott~ Thank you, sweetie!

5:26 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Actually (believe it or not) John Hanson was the first President (do a Google on it if you don't believe me). George Washington was the seventh.

Strange, but true. Yeah, I read a lot.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

saurkraut~ I stand corrected. I went to the link and read the account. I wonder why this is not taught in school, as I had never heard of it before.
Thanks for sending me there and opening my eyes.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Ellen, I first heard about this a year or so ago. I read it in a great book called The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History, which I highly recommend. It's fascinating reading, as all the PIG books are... ;o)

11:53 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

saurkraut~ It's funny, I did do research for this post, and in no way did it ever mention the first 6 men in charge. I will be sure to look for the book on my next outing to B&N. I love books like that!
Again, thanks for correcting me... I hate getting my facts wrong, and gladly welcome those who are willing to correct my mistakes.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Ellen, you know, the older I get the more I find that what we think we know is often incorrect. It's kind of weird, actually, isn't it? It's like the first time I discovered that Abraham Lincoln didn't really fight the Civil War over slavery, but merely used it as an excuse in his arsenal to enforce the collectivism of the states.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

saurkraut~ I have to admit that the older I get, the more I find that everything I learned has a different angle to it.
How funny that we are taught one thing, and the real story lies in between the lines.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Snopes disagrees with me here, btw. Thought you'd want to see both sides. Snopes isn't always right, and isn't in this case (IMHO) but that's for you to decide. They're straining at gnats, here, because whether his 'official' title was Pres or not, he still was (in actuality) the Pres.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - That's why you should vote for Neo in 2008! ;)

Great post. It's hard to believe that in a country this big we can't find some good people to "Serve," the people anymore.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

1:44 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

saurkraut~ I did go over to read the account... and thank you once again for the link. You are so thorough, and I learn so much from you.

I guess it's all a matter of semantics. At least I feel like I've been set straight, regardless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

neo~ Hahahahahaha! Ok, sweetie, you have my vote!

With a country this big, the process of finding a person who is qualified for such a position is even harder. Then we have the electorial college that screws it up further. I still say that we should be rid of it, and just count all the votes. With technology the way it is, that can't be such an impossible task anymore. But I'll save my rants for another post.

3:43 PM  
Blogger neal said...

Great post. You continually impress me with your thoughfulness and your writing abilities. I have been busy and just tonight posted something new on my blog but I have been keeping tabs.

I would never want the job although I would like to be elected senator or congressman. I would go in and be an undercover agent for the people. I might not last long but I would make sure the people were aware of the b.s. that goes on behind closed doors.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neal~ Thank you for kind words. I was never much of a writer in school (and was embarrassed by all the red marks my papers contained after getting them back from the teachers). Your remarks made me beam today! (and I needed a pick-me-up in the most desperate way!)

If you ever decide to run for Senate or Congress, you have my vote.... that is if you move to the state of Georgia.
We need an undercover agent to find out the things that are happening behind our backs.... perhaps we wouldn't be in such a mess as we are experiencing with the Dubai issue now.

I read your blog this afternoon, and find it such a coincedence that we both have sons named Chris. I'll be over to leave a comment soon.

1:47 PM  
Blogger neal said...

Two Chris's huh? I had names picked out for a boy and a girl just in case. The baby was either gonna be a Christopher Allen Ross or a Crystal Marie Ross. I picked the girls name because I was infatuated with Crystal Gayle, the country singer.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neal~ My Chris was named after his cousin. His name is Ryan Christopher, my son: Christopher Ryan. Besides that, my Chris shares the same initials as his Dad.
I never had any real girl names picked out, as I just knew I was going to have a boy. Not that I had had any real evidence, just a gut feeling.

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home