Saturday, March 18, 2006



















the prices we pay......

Back in the late 1970's the American public was appalled that gas prices had risen from 36 cents to 58 cents a gallon. Jimmy Carter was our President, and he was encouraging everyone to lower their thermoststs, drive less if we could help it, and learn to conserve wherever possible.
He even gave a speech in a Mr. Rogers-friendly sweater to press his point. We were told that the gas resources were running out, and we were only on limited time before the industry would become extinct.... just as the dinosaurs did, who created these earthen deposits in the first place, upon their demise.

All of a sudden it was no longer cool to drive a big gas guzzling car, and Toyota became the top selling car of the time. It was cheap (my first car cost $3,000.00.. one year used) and mileage was a whopping 26 city/ 36 highway. Such a deal! With $95.00 car payments a month, I could barely squeak by on my $1.65 an hour pay... but I had to have transportation. Back then, I also had my own apartment which was only $40.00 a week. Things were tight, but still manageable.

Last year when my son graduated from high school, I took him over to my computer and gave him a lesson in economics he never studied in school. We went to my quicken file and I pulled up reports where my money was spent throughout the year. Granted, I make more than $1.65 an hour now, but I also pay more for a mortgage.... which mysteriously raises each year with property tax hikes, both city and county. It was a real eye-opener, and "welcome to the real world" lesson for him. With the cost of fuel raising by the moment, utilities are no longer stable, and neither are the prices at the grocery store. Besides my mortgage, my personal grocery bill runs a close second to where my money is spent monthly.

Few things phase my son, but this did. I saw the raised eyebrows, open jaw, and look of slight panic as to how he was going to manage all this and college too. Well, the easy answer was that he never threatened ever that he was going to move out on his own (unlike me at his age), and being that he was the only child, he was entitled to having his parents purchase his car for him (all the other kids at school had parents who did). I told him to look out the back window and point out the money tree I could pick the dollars from. We did somehow manage to find him a vehicle, and pay for it outright.... which became his graduation/ birthday present (as they fell in the same week), but told him that insurance, gas, and incidentials were now his problem.

As far as college was concerned, he had every opportunity to go to school free. All it took was maintaining an 80% average in high school, and the state accepted you on the Hope Scholarship Program. Tuition, and in some cases books, are covered by this program.... but it was up to each individual to keep their averages up in order to be considered. He missed by two measley points, and now realizes the advantages he missed out on. Having an inate ability to want to do everything the opposite of advise given, he scouted out on his own the path he needed to take in order to achieve being accepted at a college. He was told that he needed to pick up a remedial math at a two year college, as he was still lacking in Algebra 3, then could transfer those credits to a state university when all things were lined up properly. If he maintained an 80% average the first year, he would then re-qualify for the Hope Scholarship program.

He worked hard all summer, even taking on extra shifts whenever possible; saved his money, and paid for his first semester of school. Am I proud of this achievement? You bet! Am I embarrassed that I could not afford it on my own for him? Not at all! I warned him a long time ago in elementary school that this day would come. He would need to pay attention in school, keep his grades up and the world would be a little easier for him due to the programs the state offers. He always poo-pooed me, and felt that he was part of the entitled set. Ah.... reality is like a cold glass of water to the face, and some people need to experience all that for themselves; regardless of the advice and warnings to the contrary. He was no exception.

Through all of this, he has taken on a new sense of maturity. He no longer sees that everything has to be handed to him, and he has grown a new respect for buying things for himself with the money he has earned. Because I love him dearly (who wouldn't.... he's a great kid!), I don't charge him any rent. I know he works hard, not only because I see it, but because he has taken on a second job to suppliment the hours they cut him out of on the first job. Every day this week he has come home from either work or school dragging, but never complaining. He continues to save his money, because being 19, his insurance rates would feed a small third world country. He also has to pay for his own cell phone bill, personal groceries, and gas.

When I think back to what I had to pay to live on my own at that age, I have nothing but empathy for the generation behind me. The world we know today is no doubt expensive and harder to keep up with. Perhaps the minimum wage has jumped up a little, but even then it is not nearly enough to live above the poverty line. Vendors who supply the groceries to stores, or any other goods to the public have taken an extra slice of our money by charging a fuel tax on transportation. With the price of gas that fluxuates by the moment, the cost of living is almost out of hand.... and if you think it will ever go down, I suggest you start looking for the money tree in your back yard. In all my lifetime, prices have NEVER gone down. They only go up.... it's the price we pay for living in our "real world".

13 Comments:

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I agree totally. I grew up hearing about the gas crises of the 70s and it's never left my mind. I don't understand the Suzie Homemakers who tool around in Hummers, wasting fuel and resources. And I'm not being purely an environmentalist here: their excesses cause the price of gas to go up and affect those of us who do make wise choices.

I recently learned that the government allows automakers to craft their autos in percentages. For instance, if a company wants to produce 100 Gas Guzzler Deluxe Models, they also have to produce 300 Regulars and 100 Econo Cars. If the government is forced to raise standard by only a percentage point, we'll have less gas guzzlers on the road and it will significantly impact fuel prices, according to studies.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I know, it is amazing to think back. I remember 32 cents a gallon...(when I was little).

I agree with Saur about the homemakers driving the BIG tank cars wasting fuel...tsk tsk tsk!

3:01 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Saur & lee ann~
I do drive an Explorer... but mostly because it is hard to pack chafers and catering equipment in a smaller car.... yet I still get the funny looks from people who assume I'm a "soccar mom". I do not make any unnecssary trips if I don't have to, and have been a conservationist for years. It's a shame that my generation was supposed to be leading the way in
saving resources and taking care of the environment... yet we dropped the ball during those *greedy* 80's. We have made some improvements, but we still have a very long way to go.
Thank goodness they are finally coming out with some hybred (sp?) cars.... I only hope they come out with enough of them so it will finally make us independant of the Arab nations.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I agree, prices only rise , companies always get their money by charging more, n wages always barely keep pace.
The percentages of earned amount to what it buys always seems at a constant deficit unless you're in the lucky one percent of the well-to-do Gates n Trumps of the country.
I don't know anyone who is- NOT monetarily challenged at this time. When ya earn more, the bills are more to eat it up.

When I moved out to a modest place the rent was 200 per month, but still today, even a job well above minimum wage will not pay a modest rent here anymore.

Energy is a major factor to all income levels of well-economy, or NOT doing well- BINGO!

12:51 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

snaggle~
My parents always told me that the more you earn, the more you spend.
I find that theory only half right, as you don't even have to earn more, prices of everything still go up anyway. That whole cost of living raise some people get, still never evens it out.

I have to admit that I was wrong about one thing.... the only thing that has gone down is interest rates. But most people pull out their credit cards to pay to fill their tanks, and can never really pay down the balance, so it evens back out again anyway. They say the average household holds more than $8,000.00 in debt, and it would take over 40 years to pay it off if they just pay the minimum balance. That's a lot of interest!

I still can't get over how people can afford these McMansions they live in. The average house in our area starts in the 300's now... and that's pretty modest considering the new ones start in the 5 & 600's. With utilities, etc, how do they afford a mortgage?
Besides, if you buy that kind of house, you need maintenance people to take care of it for you... where does all that money come from?
I got lucky and came in when the housing market was still affordable at 75,900. But my neighborhood is an older one, and on resale I could probably only get 165 at the most. I wouldn't be able to move anyway, as buying another place has doubled or tripled on the market. Luckily, I have no real designs to move out, and spent any extra money I had to upgrade what I had.

Tis a viscious cycle we live in, huh?

6:33 AM  
Blogger neal said...

I need to let my son read this post. We have been telling him the importance of maintaining good grades and the cost of life in the 'real world' outside the shelter of mommy and daddy's cocoon.

I fear he is as pig headed as I was as a kid and didn't pay any attention to what his father was saying. I learned the hard way and it is thankfully do to the fact that my father repeated certain sayings over and over until they sunk in. They came to the surface when I was emotionally prepared to accept them as 'truths'. Hopefully I can do the same with my son because he is twice as intelligent as I was and would waste a precious gift if he does not apply himself.

About the cost of gas... What can I say other than it costs almost as much to fill my Toyota Tacoma as it does to buy our weekly groceries. AAAARGH!

I did some research just last night when I came home. I had just seen the cost of a gallon at two-fifty and about had a coronary right there.

Apparantly the price of oil has very little to do with the actual cost of producing gas. It does raise the cost somewhat, but nowhere near the amount they raise it whenever oil goes up.

I will get back to that but it seems that when oil goes up they raise the cost of gas before you can blink an eye, but when oil goes down it takes forever for the cost of gas to return to where it was. That alone should show you that it is all about profit.

Anyway, supposedly the gas refineries set an amount of gas that they are going to produce and if the public uses less than the amoung they produce prices are supposed to drop a bit. If they use more the prices are supposed to go up and if they use the same prices are supposed stay stable.

But then whenever the price of crude goes up they have a reason to raise the price of their refined product even though they may be producing gas from oil that they paid a lower price on initially.

There are also what they call pocket markets. These are places that have placed certain impositions upon the refineries to make cleaner burning gas. Those also cause the cost of gas to go up. Our state of California has extremely high limits on how clean the gas should be, that is why our gas is so much higher than alot of other places across the nation.

Then there are all the taxes imposed upon gas. State and federal taxes, road use tax, etc etc.

The main thing I am concerned about is the fact that the refineries could produce more gas than they do. That could lower prices. But they don't. People talk about price controls, but those don't work. Look at the fuel lines of the 70's when we had them. They just need to make more of it so there is an abundance. When there is an abundance of gas they will have to motivate us to buy more by lowering prices. Kind of like closeout prices when the stores are trying to get rid of stock.

That won't happen though because the gas companies know if they produce more gas they will lose profits. They only thing that could force them to do that is federal legislation and that won't happen because the big oil and gas companies pay heavily to politicians and lobbyists to make sure that their goose egg isn't disturbed.

They only way we could affect a change on this is if the apathetic american public got off it's collective rear and flooded their elected officials with mail and told them to get off the payroll of the gas companies and start looking out for our well being.

I already sent my letters to Senators Feinstein, Boxer, Congressman Herger, and the old oil man himself, George W.

But I am merely one footsoldier, I don't mean diddly without some help. So if you are content to take out second mortgages to pay for gas please continue on with business as usual. Otherwise lets raise our voices and make a difference.

Sorry about the political ramblings Ellen.

11:00 AM  
Blogger wes said...

I know what you are saying about the high cost of living, especially for post-secondary students. I am finishing up my University degree, and I have spend part of my education living on my own, and some of the time with family. Making ends meet while in school and living on your own just became too much to handle. The hours that I needed to work to pay the bills was taking me away from my studies. So I have been lucky enough to have family take me in when I am in school. It will be nice to be on my own though once school is finished, not having my own place as been a hard ajustment after I was use to being on my own.

And I always try to save money, I take public transit most of the time, and I don't own a cell phone, and I don't go out drinking very much. These are just some of the sacrificies that are needed to be made when going to University.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neal~
You are welcome to use my comment section for whatever political ramblings you'd like... and for how ever long it takes. I have no problem with that whatsoever.
I have always been one to enjoy the research of others, because I learn something new each and every time. (This statement goes out to anybody who reads here as well!)

Yeah, I remember those gas lines, and they were very long! You'd practically be running on fumes before you could make it up to the pump. We didn't learn anything then, did we? Especially since we put ourselves into the same predicament again.

I see our problem as becoming to dependant on foreign companies who have unstable governments, ie: the Arab nations and South America, to name a few. They get mad at the States or our way of live and next thing you know they have us over a barrel.... literally. We should do the same to them. Produce cars that run on alternative fuels so that we no longer need their resources, and hit them in the pocket, as they have done us.

We also need to learn a bit of conservatism in our own country, as we have become our own worse enemies. We feel *entitled* to all the resources just because we are Americans. That may sound a bit cruel... but think about it. The US makes up only 5% of the population of the world, yet uses over 30% of it's resources and churns out 30% of it's wastes. 80% of US products are used once then thrown away. 95% of all plastics, 2/3rd's of all glass and 50% of all aluminum are never recycled. We are the biggest litterbugs in the world! And don't think for a moment our kids are not following that example.

Every time a new game comes out, parents feel pressured into buying it, because, after all, their kids friends have it and they can't have their kid fall behind in the toy wars. Look at all the packaging that's involved here.

We allow ourselves to be entitled because we live in one of the richest countries in the world. Why shouldn't we have all this *stuff*... after all, we live in the land of the free. Problem is that we forget that it all costs in the end... no matter what.
Be it gas, cars, food, toys, or any natural resource out there. We have become a greedy nation, and the marketers know that.

I do my part by recycling, conserving and multi-tasking my trips in my vehicle, and voting in officials who have our better interests at heart. I did not vote for GWB (and not because he is a bumbling fool) but because he was an oil man. Somehow I knew he was in the pockets of the special interest groups... and Gore was a conservationist.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

wes~
I think it is noble that your family will allow you to move in to help you conserve your monetary resources. Making small sacrifices and getting good grades lets them know you are serious about your continued studies.

I feel the same way about my son. He does have some chores he is responsible for, but I do want him to succeed at school since this is a "paid for" adventure. This last week he has worked every night as well as put together his essays needed for the classes he has during the day. I did feel bad for him one night when he dragged home and flopped. He still had some research and a paper to write for the next day. I told him we'd both get up at 4 AM, and I'd help him with the research. He actually had to do a paper on the gas prices (how convenient) and he did use the picture in my post as one of the examples for a visual.
He still wrote the paper by himself (and he is a gifted writer... no predjudice here), but I helped as far as explaining about the 70's crisis, etc.
On top of all that, he still volunteered for extra hours at job #1, so he'd have some spending money.

It's not easy, and it probably won't get any better, but I think he now understands *economics* better than he did prior to graduating from high school.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

What's a gallon??? Just kidding... we use litres up here in the Great White North.

I had to pay most of my way through University. I don't resent my parents in any way for that. It seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Cheers,

Scott

1:54 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

scott~
What's a litre? Haha... only kidding back. I do remember buying gas in Canada when I went up to Montreal. You do have the prettiest and neatest country up there. We could all take some lessons from Canada!

I am so glad to hear that you have no resentments in paying your own way through school. It's makes you a stronger individual for saying and doing so.

Let's face it though... if you had a program that allowed you to take college courses for free, wouldn't that be incentive enough to keep your grades up if that was all you had to do? It's a lesson I wanted my son to learn. I can't help it if he chooses to do everything the hard way, right?

6:09 PM  
Blogger Milk Brain said...

from someone who paid her own way through college i always resented those kids that got everything from their parents... money, food, tuition, and didnt' have to do a thing, like work. it made me angry often times, b/c they didn't know how lucky they had it. to even have the option of a parent to could send you money for no reason, seems so unreal.

we grew up on a tight budget, and we never did anythign too extravagant, and i don't resent that at all. you don't realize it at the time, but it makes you learn why it's important to work and be able to do things for yourself. like cook... i thought it was quite pathetic when ever i came across someone at college who didn't know how to cook. just pathetic.. get off your lazy asses and do something for yourselves!

i never knew a person who put themselves through college (and there are many among my friends here) that wasted their time failing out school and parties.. it was always the ones whose mommies and daddies did everything for so they didn't have to work " and could use the extra time for school".. ha ha.. they were clueless...

some people i knew would by their "groceries" at whole foods b/c they sold liquor there and his parents would continue to deposit money into the bank account. and he said that they never knew he was buying booze with the money b/c he would buy it at the grocery store.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

mb~
Good for you to know the difference, and I'll bet you have a great respect for your Mom for teaching you the lessons of life.
These people who have it all... have nothing, because they never learned anything in the first place (other than to hold their hand out).

My Mom made it her mission to teach me how to cook, sew, and take care of a house. Nevermind the OCD tendencies I already have, I appreciate those lessons, because it made me a survivor, no matter what. At the time, I always thought that I was a slave, but as time goes by, I am glad for the teachings.

My Dad had my brothers do yardwork, and learn "manly" things... and they are all successful in taking care of their homes. My parents were adament that we should all have saleable skills under our belt... as you never know how the economy or life will turn out.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home