Wednesday, March 08, 2006
















counting the beans......

Yup, it's here again. My my, how time goes by so fast when you're having fun, huh? Just when you think things are on an even path, it's time to fill out those confusing tax forms. For most people, the forms will be the 1040EZ... but not for me. I have to hire a CPA to do mine, as they are so complicated, and I am so mathematically and directionally challenged.

That I have made simple mistakes in the past that cost dearly, I no longer rely on the handy adding machine that sits on my desk. Let that be the problem of the accountant. Besides, they are up to date on all the new tax laws, which would require me to stay awake through long passages of boring materiel to read. If you think they simplify the instructions for you, then think again. You not only need a "dummies" book to get through the initial instructions, you need a "dummies" book to get through the first "dummies" book. Personally I am under the belief that the government gets a kick out of complicating things further for you. I can just imagine the IRS agents that sit at their desks looking over the forms we send them, and laughing over our inability to put things in the correct spaces. Laughing to the point that might end up costing you dearly on penalties and interest., as well as red flagging you for audits in the future. Believe me, once you are on the audit list, you are on it for life. (It's kind of like the jury duty lists.)

It all seemed so simple when I did my first tax return back in the 70's. Living in New Hampshire, I only had one form to fill out, as the state had no sales taxes. Grabbing a 1040 form, and getting advise from everyone I knew that was well versed on government tax processes, I filled it out in a matter of minutes and mailed it along. Within a month, I got my first check back in the mail. Oh joy, I thought, this was one easy process, so what me worry? Ha! The joke would be on me in enough years to come. Not only did the tax laws change and modify (which was ok), but moving to Georgia meant that I now had to fill out state forms. Ok..... I managed that with little to no problem.

Then there was the challenge of forms I butted up against when I became owner of my own business. No more 1040's for me, and no more W-4's either. I was introduced to the world of 1065's and K-1's. (yeah, I had the same reaction... what the heck was all this?) Not steady on my brain of such numbers or procedures, I hired an accountant to handle it all for me. I gave him the explanation that I cook the beans, not count them. After he hooked me up with a wonderful bookkeeper who could make sure my quicken files were always straightened out, we enjoyed eight wonderful years of solved tax filing.

Last year, my CPA retired, and I was on the lookout for someone who could fill the void I had so easily not concerned myself with. Well I found her, but she does not come without a cost (to the point of $900.00, just for the business taxes.... I can't wait to see what she'll charge for my personal ones). Being that this is her first year with me, she had to plow through the last three years of forms (business and personal) and I can conclude that it took some time for her to do so. She did send me a tax organizer to fill out, to the tune of 50+ pages. This was a bit confusing in itself, but next year she'll have all my information in the right areas so that I can fill it out without all the extra notes I had to write in, as I wasn't sure where everything really went. Yeah, I got the name and social security numbers in the right place, but I have a mountain of deductions that all had their own pages... some of which were similar to different pages of the organizer. Calling her, I asked where I should put "x" deduction. No problem, she said, just put it down on page "y" and she'll figure it out. Well that's comforting, if nothing else about the process is. I also enjoy the fact that I can call her, and she doesn't charge by the minute. All questions are free, as well as time on the phone with her.

My son will be filing his first 1040 this year. In a way, I almost envy him, but not quite. Since he has no idea what it's all about (other than he made too little for the government to keep very much of it), he is looking to me to help him through the process. Not confident that I am still versed in the tax methods, I'm counting on help from my bookkeeper. She on the other hand is happy to do it if I can pay her off in lasagna and banana bread. Such a deal, huh?

12 Comments:

Blogger X said...

I am such a mathematical dufus that there is no way I can do my own taxes. I have my guy and he's great! Love live the accountant! :)

4:06 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

K~ Amen! LOL!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

All I can say is, thank god for attorneys and accountants. This stuff confuses the heck outta me now.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

saurkraut~
I don't even pretend to know anything about taxes anymore.
Cooking the beans is so much easier than counting them.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

ej~
What makes it all the worse is that I have to pay estimated taxes based on income from the previous year. If I pay too much (which almost never happens), I have it applied to the following year. If I don't pay them on time, I get penalized. Yes... thank God for accountants to figure it all out!

Just a question... now that you are in the UK, do you have to pay income taxes like the US? How does it all work across the pond?

12:36 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

ej~
Wow! I had no idea that you are still required to file. I had to laugh about your remark oncerning the paperwork... how very true about the US! We are supposed to be conservationists, yet we love require many of them to come down in the name of paperwork.

2:58 PM  
Blogger wes said...

Hi Ellen, thanks for stopping by my blog! When it comes to taxes, I have had the fortunate/unfortunate ability to be great at accounting, and equations. Its fortunate because I do my taxes easily and have always excelled at my finance and accounting classes. Its unfortunate because this gift is going to be wasted on me because I have absolutely no desire in pursuing this field of work. :)
Great blog though :)

5:14 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

wes~
Thanks for stopping by!
You are indeed fortunate to be so gifted in mathmatics... and I do not blame you for not wanting to persue this field.
I could get through the mathmatics, although it would be challenging... it's the correct places to put everything in that throws me off. The US forms make it as confusing as possible.

With the prices that accountants charge... are you sure you wouldn't want to dabble in it on the side?

6:14 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I have a CPA too. Have used him for years. I used to mail him my stuff when I lived in Florida. He lives in Birmingham, so now I go in to his office. I wouldn't do without him.

Hope you guys are not getting the bad storms that are coming through here.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

lee ann~
Once you have a professional who can take care of those mundane taxes, it's hard to leave them even if you move away, huh? Oh how we place so much trust in these people, and they always come up shining. Except for the H&R people. I had them last year for my personal taxes, and they screwed it up so bad I vowed I'd never use them again.

We did have the bad winds for awhile, but where I live (just north of the city) is like a "voided" area, and I always escape the worse of the storms. We've had tornados come through, but somehow they always hit the counties around me and not North Fulton county. I keep my fingers crossed it will stay that way.
Hope it wasn't bad over there!

6:36 AM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I was here midweek, but got axed by blogger before commenting...

Ya I do my own taxes. The one n only year I let someone else do it, they messed it up, had to do it myself anyhow to get all the deductions!
Some years are easier to do than others, this year won't be bad, just need time to sit n read gobbly-guck.

1:12 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

snaggle~
Yeah, blogger's been a pain in the butt all week... saying *FORBIDDEN
TO SERVER* whenever I refreshed, etc.

Good luck with the taxes.... just another one of those pain of the season jobs. What surprises me is that the Gov. always wants more, when it's so hard to live on what you don't make already. The first year that I owed $14,000.00, I nearly dropped through the floor. That's the pain of estimated taxes, when you don't pay for them when they're due. Thank goodness for home equity loans.

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home