Thursday, March 23, 2006




















submitted for your approval, the words of a master..... Rod Serling 1924-1975


~ The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosives and fallout. These are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy. And a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all it's own for the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is, is that these things cannot be confined to the twilight zone.

~ I happen to think that the singular evil of our time is prejudice. It is from this evil that all other evils grow and multiply. In almost everything I have written there is a thread of this: a man's seemingly palpable need to dislike someone other than himself.

~ If survival calls for the bearing of arms, bear them you must. But the most important part of the challenge is for you to find another means that does not come with the killing of your fellow man.

~ I think the destiny of all men is not to sit in the rubble of their own making but to reach out for an ultimate perfection which is to be had. At the moment, it is a dream. But as of the moment we clasp hands with our neighbor, we build the first span to bridge the gap between the young and the old. At this hour, it's a wish. But we have it within our power to make it a reality. If you want to prove that God is not dead, first prove that man is alive.

~ Every writer is a frustrated actor who recites his lines in the hidden auditorium of his skull.

~ I don't believe in reincarnation. That's a cop-out.... I anticipate death will be totally unconscious void in which you float through eternity with no particular consciousness of anything.

~ Ideas come from the earth. They come from every human experience that you've either witnessed, or have heard about, translated into your brain, in your own sense of dialogue, in your own language form. Ideas are born from what is smelled, heard, seen, experienced, felt, emotionalized. Ideas are probably in the air, like little tiny items of ozone. That's the easiest thing on earth is to come up with an idea. And the second thing is, the hardest thing on earth, is to put it down.

~ It may be said with a degree of assurance that not everything that meets the eye is as it appears.

~ Whenever you write, whatever you write, never make the mistake of assuming the audience is any less intelligent than you are.

~ The creation of an idea, the following of a story germ, the building up of a plot, the creating of people of flesh and blood character - these are not easy things, they are extremely difficult. But conversely, don't be put off by the fact that this month you can't do it and next month is maybe even harder. That is, if not a lifetime process, it's awfully close to it. The writer broadens, become deeper, becomes more observant, becomes more tempered, becomes much wiser over a period of time passing. It is not something that is injected into him by a needle. It is not something that comes on a wave of flashing, explosive light one night and says, "Huzzah! Eureka! I've got it" and then proceeds to write the great American novel in eleven days. It doesn't work that way. It's a long, tedious, tough, frustrating process, but never, ever be put aside by the fact that it's hard.

~ I was traumatized into writing by war events. By going through a war in a combat situation and feeling the desperate sense of terrible need for some sort of therapy. To get it out of my gut, I wrote it down. This us the way it began for me.

~ There is a fifth dimension beyond which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of a mans fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area we call the Twilight Zone.

Born in Syracuse, New York on Christmas Day in 1924, Rod Serling would refer to himself as the "present that came unwrapped". He would grow up in Binghamton, New York the son of a butcher. After graduating from high school in 1942, Serling would join the army and see first hand the horrors of war during World War II. This very experience would make him have a profound concern about a moral society. Upon his retrun to the states, Serling would enter Antioch College and enroll himself in the physical education program. Still, a longing call would make him alter his major to English literature, where he would try his hand at writing. After marriage in his senior year to Carolyn Kramer, he would win an award for a script he had written for television. Feeling encouraged by that, he would continue to write more scripts, submitting them to radio and television, finding a home for his unique writing style. His scripts consisted of psychological dramas; real issues of the time, such as lynching, racism, and union organizing.
However, due to his controversial style, and fed up with the conservative censors over how a character was displayed, Serling switched to science fiction and fantasy. He would say that the characters were more believable in his stories if they were aliens or monsters, rather than being portrayed as real men. In doing so, The Twilight Zone series was born, and an ingenious blend of fable and fantasy writing was able to circumvent his television networks and sponsors. At this level he could address different controversial subjects, saying, " I found that it was all right to have martians saying things Democrats and Republicans would never say."
He would win several Emmys for his outstanding work on his series, and go on to the big screen co-writing for movies. One such script was "The Planet Of The Apes".
In June of 1975, Serling would succumb to a heart attack while on the operating table during heart by-pass surgery. The world would loose a master and pioneer of television writing.... but would never lose the cult status the Twilight Zone has given us.

20 Comments:

Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

Bravo! *Standing on my chair applauding*

Excellent. just what i needed to hear. Rod Serling was wise beyond his time. His unique way of approaching the many social ills of a seemingly ancient time is still timely... and relevant, perhaps more so today.

I remember watching The Twilight Zone on our old vacuum tube black and white TV. No cable or satelite, just the airial on the roof with the flat 2 strand antenna wire attached by screws to the back of the set.

So much has changed, but some things unfortunately only apper to have. the predjudice that was rampant in the 60s is still with us, its just not as overt and legal. Sure, civil rights legislation has made a huge difference, but it has also driven much of the prejudice underground.

All too often, it is practiced by the ignorant and uninformed under the guise of enlightenment. Yes there is much work to be done. Mr. serling was, if nothing else, a visionary.

~Mike

3:29 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Mike~
Thank you! *blushing and taking a bow*.
There's no mistaking the music, or the tone of Mr. Serlings voice... and his scripts were loaded with social issues, we as the intelligent species, still fall victim to in our time.

I, too, watched Twilight Zone when it first came out in the 60's.... and still enjoy them today on Sci-Fi marathons. They may be in black and white, but the messages are still in color. Being still little, some of them used to frighten me, but I always saw through to the message, and it always made an impact. He was, without a doubt, an excellant wordsmith.

4:25 PM  
Blogger neal said...

I think Serlings works were masterpieces. The only thing that even came close to them at times were some of the early episodes of the X-Files. Serling made you think and that is what is lacking in so much of the science fiction today. Too much time is spent on special effects or plane outright gruesomeness that you don't need to think. I miss the old Twilight Zones and even the Outer Limits shows.

Helluva post Ellen!

10:15 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Brilliant post. Love the quotes, such an interesting man.

Scott

11:28 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neal~
I agree! It's not exciting enough for the shows to have messages, they feel they need the special effects and gruesomeness to put their points across. Good writing gets lost in the background of these shows... if they have any message at all. I was also a fan of The Outer Limits, and sometimes still catch the newer shows today. Since it doesn't have any regular hours on any regular station, it's only by channel surfing that I can find them.

I did watch the last *Zone* marathon they had on Sci-Fi, and even saw a few that I had never seen before... that was a nice surprise!

************

scott~
Glad that you enjoyed the post!
Serling was a fascinating man to read about, and I find some of his quotes are still sadly valid today. It's amazing how the show has reached cult status, but we still have learned little from the messages.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Beautiful!

If survival calls for the bearing of arms, bear them you must. But the most important part of the challenge is for you to find another means that does not come with the killing of your fellow man

I believe in the right to bear arms, and the right to arm bears. OK, kidding about the second part.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

Very thought provoking! I'll be thinking about this post all afternoon.

Thanks so much for sharing! I love posts that stimulate my mind. XO

12:30 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

saur~
I also believe in the right to bear arms... if need be... but like Serling, I'm more of a "let's find a way around this" type of person, if it will serve the purpose of getting it taken care of without blood-shed. Sometimes guns are in the hands of people who have no sense and no morals.

Funny remark arming bears! Haha!
I had such a *far side* visual on that.

************

Jen~
My pleasure, sweetie! Nothing better than to have the mind stimulated. It's so important if we are all to get along in this world, huh?

Kudos to your HNT.... I am officially pea green with envy!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

ej~
How true! I always find myself "writing" in my head, but lose all thought of it when it comes down to putting it down.
It could be my *senior moments* coming along early, or that I get too distracted with the other million things I have going on.

I'm still having problems getting into your site to comment... and don't know why. Silly bl'orge!

Hope you are well, and that it's starting to warm up a little across the pond!

2:20 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Hmmm, that was right on time. I liked his angle of writing about people as something else. I guess it helped people digest it easier.

Nice post Ellen.

Rod was the man. Even by todays standard.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

6:22 PM  
Blogger neal said...

I just looked up some links on Rod Serling and found that he died on my birthday. Bummer...

I also found this link if your interested. It has some cool night gallery images.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~
Isn't it funny that we always refer back to the "Twilight Zone" when speaking of odd things in our lives. We just can't help it, it's become part of our culture.
Yup, Rod was the man, and an interesting one at that. I left out a lot in his bio... but a post has only so much space before you start to lose your own audience.

Glad to see you enjoyed!

************

neal~
Bummer, indeed. I'll bet you will always think of that from now on, huh?
I checked out the link, and thank you for linking it here. I did a lot of web surfing on this topic and found that there was much to be said about him and his body of work. It was good to see that he didn't just pass on, but became immortilized on the internet.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - I look at it this way. If you got something to say. Say it until you're done. I don't worry about losing anyone with long posts. I'm a reader. I like to read. The longer the better.

In the case of Rod, there is alot to say. It's weird I can picture the old black and white reruns of the TL as I read your post.

Him standing there with that look, ciggie in hand.

Man, what a legend.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

7:59 AM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

Rod definitely opened the doors in many minds! Great post.

(Side comment to the comment you made on Neal's blog about the Sex Offender that was my son's Sunday School Teacher...I am sure he is not longer a SS teacher, he was caught AFTER that. It just makes you wonder what he got away with during that time...it's so sick. On the site they list what their offenses are and everything. Sad).

2:02 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~
Yeah, you never saw Serling without a cig in hand, did you?
I don't know why, but I always thought he had died from lung cancer because he smoked up to 4 packs a day. Well, I guess the cigs got him in another manner with the heart attacks. I would have loved to taken some of the classes he taught at Antioch College, but alas, I was young by one year. He died the year I graduated from high school.

************
bar bar a~
You are close to my age, and can probably remember the shows as I do. They still stand out as some of the best television I saw as a kid. (I also loved Lucy!)

Thanks for the update about the SS teacher. You are so right... soooo sick!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I'm up late week-end nights, n there's a new "the Zone" and "Outer Limits" shows on after SNL- very late, after 2am- sans Serling of course, but continuing his method of teaching ethics...

I used to watch the old show with my dad who loved Sci-Fi.
Thanks for the great quotes!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

dudu-dudu dudu-dudu....
Oh yes, the voice of the Twilight Zone. I don't think it could have been done right if it weren't him.

2:42 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

snaggle~
I've caught a few of the new Zone shows here and there... but never know when to watch. Thanks for the heads up on the time!
We do have Amazing Stories (Spielberg series) on early Sunday mornings... and they're ok, but just not the same. I read somewhere that they had worked together on a few projects. Still, there is nothing like the master!

************

lee ann~
That's what I was lacking.... the music.. and you did it so well!
Funny how it always comes to mind, huh?

7:10 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Wow, I never knew he taught classes. Man that would have been so cool!

I could only imagine how weird his tests would have been.

LOL

8:56 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~
Yup, that would have been one cool course, no doubt! I can only imagine he would have loved living to the age of personal computers in every home.... what stories we are missing out of that, huh?

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home