Thursday, March 30, 2006



















god beams, and my little piece of heaven.....


"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion."
~Abraham Lincoln

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail mind."
~Albert Einstein

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
~Albert Einstein

"I won't take my religion from any man who never works except with his mouth."
~Carl Sanberg

"Everyone ought to worship God according to his own inclinations, and not to be constrained by force."
~Flavius Josephus

"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself."
~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"To believe in God or in a guiding force because someone *tells you to* is the height of stupidity. We are given senses to receive our information within. With our own eyes we see, and with our own skin we feel. With our intelligence, it is intended that we understand. But each person must puzzle it out for himself or herself."
~Sophy Burnham

"Say nothing of my religion. It is known to God and myself alone. Its evidence before the world is to be sought in my life: if it has been honest and dutiful to society, the religion which has regulated it cannot be a bad one."
~Thomas Jefferson

"It is a fine thing to establish one's own religion in one's heart, not to be dependant on tradition and second-hand ideals. Life will seem to you, later, not the lesser, but a greater thing."
~D.H. Lawrence

"Everyone likes to go their own way-- to choose their own time and manner of devotion."
~Jane Austen

"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible."
~Oscar Wilde

"To thine own self be true."
~Henry David Thoreau


"Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you concieve him to be; and whatever your labor and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace with your soul." ~ found in St. Paul's Church (Baltimore) in 1692

I had the opportunity to stop for a minute today, and just gaze out the window. Having a free minute is golden, and I try to sneak in as many as I can in each day.... it has become instrumental in keeping me sane.

This afternoon I saw a plethra of birds, different sizes, colors, and breeds, pecking at the ground and looking for any useful seed to feed upon. Of course it wasn't long before a neighborhood cat patrolling the area made them all take flight safely up into all the budding trees, still closely located to the many birdfeeders in my yard. As kitty crossed the yard, I noticed the purple carpet of violets that brought life to my rich green grass (that sorely needs mowing). Hostas were stretching their stems through beds of violets, azalias were donning bonnets of pink, and the hydrangia bush has thrust it's cabbage shaped growth, like long stretched arms, to the sun. Choirs of birds were sending messages to their loved ones that an enemy has crossed into the area; but everyone was safe, and the world was unfolding as it should. And the only other noise I heard was the sound of my heart, because I knew my God was in His heaven today.

15 Comments:

Blogger Jinsane said...

Excellent Post! I loved all the quotes also. I have always felt that I have my own relationship with God, even though I'm not a church goer! I feel confident in that relationship and that's enough for me. The quote that resonates with me the most is the one by Abe - "When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion."

That is exactly how I try to live my life. I don't need someone else to tell me what's wrong and what's right. I know in my heart and soul what it takes to be a good person....and that's all I need.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

jen~
Good for you! Confidence in your heart is so helpful for your mind and soul...and it is where "my God" resides as well.

a little "Emily" for you:

Some keep the Sabbath going to church;
I keep it staying at home,
With a bobolink for a chorister,
And an orchard for a dome.

Some keep the Sabbath in surplice;
I just wear my wings,
And instead of tolling the bell for church,
Our little sexton sings.

God preaches, -- a noted clergyman,-
And the sermon is never long;
So instead of getting to heaven at last,
I'm going all along!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Great post. Nice to see the birds back out again isn't it?

Love the quotes. They are great!

Scott

4:24 PM  
Blogger wes said...

Nothing says spring like the sound of birds chirping, and I can't wait to hear that, it won't be long now. :)

Great post. :)

6:04 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

Hi Ellen, 1st time stopping by and I like your blog I'll be back for sum more. :) peace and love.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

scott~
Today I saw so many different types of birds: grey doves, black crows, red cardinals, etc....
It's so cool that they come in so many different colors. I even saw a yellow bird this weekend... and have no idea what it was. We almost thought it might be an escaped parakeet from someones home.

************

wes~
It is so nice to hear the birds *yakking it up* in the yard. I sometimes just sit on my porch and watch their conversations.... knowing that they are signaling to their mates of the cat presence. Too funny sometimes! Birds are so clever.

************

skyblue~
Welcome to the garden, and thanks for stopping by. Everyone is welcome all the time!

************

Thanks to all of you for the kind words! Today was an excellant day, and you all made it so much nicer! xo

7:57 PM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

Hey, we did have similar posts today! These are wonderful quotes, thanks.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

bar bar a~
Funny how great minds think alike, huh? Hahaha......

8:18 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

A yellow bird- bright with black n white strips on the wing is an Oriel. Females may be plain yellow. I have a North American Bird guide here somewhere...
I feed the birds, then leave for work so never see them!

As ya know, I live my religion by practicing the golden rule every day, no exceptions. "Treat people as you wish to be treated" -
N pray alot!

1:25 AM  
Blogger X said...

Hmmm, I'm not so sure what I believe....although I do believe that there is some spiritual world/thing out there....but I'm glad you were inspired to post some quotes :)

11:49 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

snaggle~
I will have to keep a lookout for the yellow bird again to see if it has the stripes on it's wings, or if it were pure yellow. Hubby told me a story that there were some parakeets that got loose in NYC and have mated and bred over the years. Apparently they have taken over a park in the city. I will have to look that up.

Thanks for the info....I love learning about the new travelers that drop by.

Treat others as you would like to be treated.... a golden rule in our house too!

************

ej~
Yup, spring has sprung! Some mornings are a little cold, but it warms up nicely during the day. Last night I actually left the windows open so that I could air out the winter blahs. I will pay for that little adventure with a dustrag in a few days when the pollen coats everything on the sills, though. Haha!

************

K.~
I was in the same place myself at your age. I always knew that I didn't believe in organized religion (they were ok, but not for me), and always believed that there was a higher power than myself. It's a puzzle we all figure out for ourselves. I did hear a somewhat funny quote the other day of how "everyone finds religion when they're in a foxhole".

2:14 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I love this post!

1:39 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

lee ann~
I'm glad you enjoyed it!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Great quotes. I agree with Jen, I'm not one for going to church either. But I pray to God all the time. One of these days he'll listen and cut me a break eh?

That garden sounds very peaceful. Maybe one of these days I'll get down south and check it out. :)

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

10:29 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~
I quit the organized religion/ going to church thing, when I was 14. My Mom and I went to a Catholic service that was more like a choir practice, as the nun who was running the musical numbers kept interrupting the singing telling everyone to start over because she didn't like the *quality* of the way the songs were sounding. We both looked at each other, got up and walked out. It was during the 70's when *folk masses* were becoming popular.
Besides, I found out a few things that didn't sit well with my earlier teachings, and thought that if I believed in God, it was good enough for me.

As far as the peaceful gardens....
your tree awaits your arrival to say hello personally.

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home