Thursday, June 01, 2006



















talking to myself......

For all the tasks I should be doing today, I contemplate the fact that I am not quite in the mood to accomplish these feats. The month of May took a lot of time away from me.... and by the looks of my messy house covered with dust, I shudder to think that I can find the energy it takes to give it a good clean sweep. But I will. It's a mind over matter obstacle, no doubt.... and it's all I will contemplate until I actually get it done. Finding the door I need to open, for I already have the key safely tucked into my hand, I will muster the motivation needed for such a request. This includes many long talks to myself, which I don't find crazy in the least. I do it all the time.

So what holds me back? Perhaps it is a yearning to have a few real days off (in a row) so that I could go away and forget about the list of chores that keeps nagging in the back of my mind. It's not like my house is falling apart by the seams, or that the world (or my business) will fall apart if I'm not around. I am the one holding me back, and I darn well know it. In my spare (and not so spare) time, I daydream about vacationing at the beach. Listening to the waves slap against the shore, laughing at the seagulls as they fight over a morsel of food left on the grains of sand, and soaking in the rays of the bright sun. This is my flight away from the usual dredges of everyday life so that I can come back and look at my "now" life with refreshed abundance.

If ever I was in need of time away, it would be now.... but then I say that every year in May. Working for a living has it's share of good ethics, but a vacation allows your mind and spirit to put life aside long enough to kick off your shoes and let down your hair. Carefree moments of waking up at any time you deem, to eat or not to eat, and to play amongst the day like a person of independent wealth, are the moments I work for all year long. But then, doesn't everybody? Most of mine are imaginary ones played through my mind in the few stolen moments of quiet..... or the ones I make up when I plead "docters appointment" and really go see "Dr. Shopping".


How unfair it seems to be able to only do this real vacation dance one week a year (that's all I get.... honestly!) I am a firm believer that we should have four weeks off a year.... one for each season. In that way, we are able to imbue the fruits of life while savoring our sanity. After all, we are no fun as people when we are cranky, overworked and overtired. A gentle time out works as well for an adult as it does for a child. It's a re-grouping time worthy of indulgence.

But here I will sit with a few moments of unmonitored daydreaming luxury, plotting my escape, still knowing full well the list in my mind will demand more attention... and probably get it. This weekend will mark the first two days off I will have in a row since Easter that I will not have to cater food to some uncharted part of town. I will not bother to write this honey-do list from my head to paper, because that will imply an actuality of impending intent. Instead, I will keep the list in the mental filing room..... and get to it IF I want or can get to it. The dust is not going anywhere, that's for sure, and the gardens are all planted.... except for a few pulled flowers that the squirrels decided to risk the cayenne pepper for. Instead, I have decided to give up my time for a promise I made to my neighbor last year to stain her deck. I won't hear the slapping waves of the ocean, nor hear the seagulls caw in mid air... but I will get to enjoy the sunshine, and perhaps put some color back into my pale skin. A small price to pay to a neighbor who has been wonderful to me.... and a promise I will keep to her husband I made 10 years ago when he died. I will be neighborly to her needs, and put my own aside for a little while longer.

The beach will always be there, vacation is somewhat close on the horizon anyway, and I'm going to feel better doing something nice for someone else. That's enough vacation for me this weekend. Maybe my house can wait a little longer.... it's survived this May with minimal attention so what's another week, right? And now that I've convinced myself of the right thing to do first, I'd better pick up that dust rag and make a swing around the house. Like I said earlier, it's not going anywhere.... but it really needs to.

See talking to yourself really works ..... I'm feeling energized already! What a difference a vacation makes!

18 Comments:

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

It's not like my house is falling apart by the seams, or that the world (or my business) will fall apart if I'm not around. Oh boy do I wish I could say this!

Anyway, as you know, I highly recommend beach vacations!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

What I hate about the house is the longer it waits, the more energy it takes to catch it up. But it also stinks to have to look at what should get done when ya should ne relaxing, cause the brain won't relax until it's done...
The other thing I hate is when I decide to wait to wash the floor, then spill something n have to do it anyhow!

A week each season would be more than I've ever had... sounds good to me! I hope ya get to do that someday.

Let me pull up my lounge chair, n sip pina coloda beside ya again... Ah- zzzzzzzzz ...

1:07 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

saur~
I agree! There is no better vacation than a beach excursion is there?

Given the recent invasion you've had with critters and leaks, I feel for you. They weren't kidding when they labeled houses money pits! I've had my share, and they always seem to consume so much time and energy, don't they? The problem is that once you manage one problem, another one always seems to pop up.... I hope yours are all over soon!

************

snaggle~
Pull up a chair sweetie! Now doesn't that feel good to sit down for a minute? Of course we'd have to do this in your part of the states, because I have no beach here.... the one major drawback of ATL.

Because of hubbys long history with Marriott, he gets a total of 5 weeks a year, so he gets a lot more vacation time than I ever will. He uses a lot of those days independently from a whole week, or "sells" them off as extra pay rather than taking the time off. If that were me, I'd take the time...

Pass that blender of Pinas... we have a lot of world solving problems and catching up to do... this may take some time! Hahaha!
Saur... you are welcome to join us!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Lyrically speaking said...

Ahhhhhhhhh, a vacation sounds so sweet right about now, rather than sitting here at work for 8 hours. I enjoyed reading your post

10:40 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

dela~
Please come join us! I'm sure I have extra chairs around here somewhere.... and plenty of glasses for plenty of Pinas!

Thanks for stopping by, and feel free to drop in anytime.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

I'm really bad about talking to myself. Sometimes, it seems I'm the only one who will listen to my crazy ranting and raving! LOL

You know what they say, "A clean house is a sign of a wasted life."

Enjoy the sunshine - you definitely deserve it!!!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

jen~
Hey, chickadee! Pull up a chair and grab a Pina while you're at it.

Sometimes I talk to myself just because I know I'm the ONLY one listening....I swear it's not a sign of insanity. LOL!

Have a great weekend... and do some fun things yourself! You deserve the break as well!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - That's what I love about you. You are one of the most selfless people I have ever known; even if it is the internet.

You are a wonder Ellen. Enjoy your time away from the job.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

7:23 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~
Awwww.... my heart is really touched by what you said, and I am flattered!
You, my sweet, have shown nothing but kindness to me since my first adventure into the blogging world... and if it wasn't for you and all you've done, I wouldn't have a page here.

I did manage to clean my house (finally) and was just about to water the garden when divine providence stepped in and it rained hard. I was saved an extra job on my list. How lucky was that?

I hope you also have a wonderful weekend, and get to enjoy Cody and your time off!

xo always~

8:31 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - LOL, ya know how it is. I just bring it. If it wouldn't have been me to show you all this it would have been someone else. I'm just a ghost remember? ;)

You have a great weekend too! *Hugs*

- Neo

11:32 AM  
Blogger X said...

I always talk to myself...to the point of crazy. LOL :)

Good luck with the to-do list...and the impending appointment with Dr. Shopping (love it!).

Hope you get taht vacation...you deserve it! :)

7:53 PM  
Blogger wes said...

I actually don't mind doing house work, I kind of enjoy it, but what I tread is yard work. I'm fine doing the stuff inside, but the yard work really gets to me. I can't stand it. Its so time consuming and it never seems to be completed, whereas, at least in the house, I can feel like things get done, at least for a little while. :)

And if there is one thing this world needs, its more beaches. :)

11:47 PM  
Blogger Milk Brain said...

i think we need to be like some european nations.. institute a 35 hour work week, and 4 weeks mandatory vacation. i remember reading somehwere that we're (as a country) workaholics and need more time to relax. i concur. but only if we can still get paid the same or more for less work in exchange for improved productivity and happier people at the work place.

makes me wonder if europeans who complain we work too much, realize how expensive it is to live in this country..

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen;

I hope you enjoyed your weekend.

Love Karl

7:47 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen Jay, I agree with you, we need more time off for mental health! (We can't afford to go without pay, though)!

Looks like Ellen's workin hard again all week-end, n needs that lounge chair soon!

Hope you're doing okay!

8:19 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~
And that's what I love about you... you just bring it, and it has brought us all together!

xoxo~

************

K.~
Ah yes, Dr Shopping.... one of my favorite illnesses!
So glad to see you're home... and had a wonderful vacation yourself! I finally was able to get your pictures uploaded on your blog today... loved them all!

************

wes~
How true! Yards do consume a lot of time, because weeds grow so fast, and critters have a habit of of digging up the landscaping... I end up re-doing a lot of my work.
Sometimes maintaining the house is a little easier.
I just have to learn to curb my OCD tendencies against my lazy moment qualities... realizing that it will get done if I just put my mind to it without the self-pressure.

And yes, you are most correct with your assessment about beaches! There is not nearly enough if you live too far inland.

************

mb~
I'll take the 35-hour work-week anyday.... It sure beats the 24/7 one I have now! Of course, it wouldn't pay the bills though would it? I love the idea about the 4 week manditory vacation... that should be instituted just for mental health reasons alone.

By the way, I still can't get onto your blog comments.... even though I can read the post. When I get a minute, I'll e-mail your Mom and explain it to her so she can explain it to you. Hope the weather has gotten nicer than all that rain you were getting!

************

ej~
Wow.... minimum of 21 days off????
I sure could use that time... even if I sat on the couch and read a book!
I totally agree that having days off are good for your mental health, too much stess has always lead to bad health. Although I don't get a lot of days off, I steal lots of moments during the day. Even a quick break away does wonders!

************

snaggle~
It's now 8:30 Sunday PM, and I finally had a chance to sit down in front of the computer to catch up here. I did work this weekend, but not for the company. I ended up staining my neighbors deck, as well as power-washed the front of her house. Plus we stole some time away to find some cheap flowers on sale so that I could add to the gardens. Now if the critters will just leave them alone......

Yup.... really ready for that lounge-chair and Pina!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

n Powerwashed too?!! Neo is correct, you are amazing!

I couldn't do any yard this week, all rain!

9:42 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

snaggle~
So sorry to hear you had rain again.... but at least the tourists stay home on those weekends, huh?

Yup, we power-washed the neighbors house.... but that only took minutes. The ugly green stuff came off so fast, and gave her a freshened look. I need to get over ther to trim her bushes next, but that can wait for the next weekend.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home