Wednesday, May 10, 2006















the magic words and etiquette..........

There was a time when the content of your character was based on the type of manners you displayed. The way you interacted with your fellow man allowed one to see that you had good breeding because you had interjected the magic words in your correspondence.... verbal and written. It was the little whispers from your mother to your ear as a child each time someone said or did something nice for you. It was the "please" and "thank you" factor. Somewhere along the line, we seldom hear the words as we once did., and it has become a lost art along with the R.S.V.P.

It's kind of sad really, because it is a loss of civility that blemishes our society as an intelligent species. When did it become fashionable for people to expect and dismiss bad behavior because we do not stand up to the people who break the rules of good behavior? You see it everyday on the freeway by the people who cut you off because wherever they need to be is much more important than where you need to be. You see it at the grocery store by the people who park their cart in the middle of the aisle, while they contemplate which can of beans to buy. Even the polite "excuse me" goes unnoticed, because their bean choice has a higher priority. You see it at entrances to buildings when people rush through an open door without holding it for the next person.... which makes me think they are the ones that cut you off on the freeway earlier.

Maybe we have just forgotten the rules of engagement when it comes to being polite and wearing our manners in all situations. They really are more simple than they are given credit for, and if practiced, really make it easier for a society to get along.

So let's see if we can clarify all this for those who forgot:

1) "Please" should be used in all situations where you are bidding to have someone do something for you; as in: "Would you 'please' take out the garbage?" and "Pass the salt 'please'" .
In our family, if you did not add the word "please" to your sentence when asking for the salt at the table, your request went unheeded. Everyone looked at you until the magic word was said; which came swiftly after a noticed silence. This applied to food and drink as well, and since everything was served family-style at the diningroom table, your reach depended on the cooperation of others. You caught on very quickly, or you missed out... it was that simple.
It also works real well in the first person; as in: "May I have some more, 'please'?"

2) "Thank you" quickly follows "please" in all situations. Since you are verbally reciprocating the errand done for you, you are giving vindication to the person helping you. It is also very important that "thank you" is a card you write to relatives when they send you money in your birthday or graduation cards.
In our family, if you did not thank someone for their help or efforts, it might be a long time coming before they decided to help you again. It was almost a slap in the face to not say "thank you", because it showed a lack of appreciation.

3) "Excuse me" is used in all instances where you need to get by someone blocking your way. The now customary "behind ya" or "geez, move outta the way, will ya?" is a social faux pas. Yes, they are effective, but they show bad manners; plain and simple.
In our family, "excuse me" was also used in instances where you couldn't hear someone when they spoke. It was more like, "Excuse me?" followed by: "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you, would you 'please' repeat that?" Barked orders of: "Hey, speak up, I can't hear you!" was considered very rude, and could cost you a trip to the another room to be spoken to, if you uttered them.

4) "You're welcome" follows all "thank yous".... again, the reciprocating of a deed done; an acknowledgement to the person you help that tells them you are happy to be there for them.

These are just the basic ones as there are many more depending on the situation you are in:

~ When driving, use the signal indicators. My psychic abilities might be on hiatus at the moment you decide to cut me off, so I'd appreciate knowing that you are crossing four lanes of traffic to make it over the the Starbucks for your latte' seconds before the turn. If I do let you in, please acknowledge with a wave that you appreciated my gesture. In other words, be appreciative of other people when they do good deeds for you just for the heck of it.

~When shopping at a grocery store, be aware that there are other shoppers in great need of groceries as well. Parking your cart in the middle of the aisle when you search for that bean coupon might earn you a tap on the shoulder.... or if it is me, an "excuse me". It is nothing to take offense at, but your are impeding traffic, and you need to pull it over....."thank you".

~When entering a building, look behind you to make sure you are not slamming the door in somebodys face. It takes seconds out of your life to hold it for someone else, and is the nice thing to do, no matter what. You'd be amazed how you can bring a nice "thank you" from them (followed by "you're welcome" from you), and perhaps a smile. It doesn't always work, but when it does, you can't help but smile back.

~When you receive an invitation in the mail for any reason, and it asks for an R.S.V.P., please do as it asks: "respond, if you please". People throwing parties need to order refreshments of some sort, and having the count off can lead to great embarrassment for the host as well as the person catering the event. You cannot imagine how many people do not respond, even if an invitation is accompanied by a self-addressed stamp, and that's just plain rude. (Believe me, I hear this all the time.)

~If you are going to be late to miss an appointment with a friend, or reservation at a restaurant, pull an E.T. and "phone home". Call them up and let them know you are running late or in traffic. Have a heart, their time is precious too.

~Don't assume that people are smarter or dumber than you. If you treat them like people you just might get the respect you deserve for being more polite.

These are all pretty simple and easy to follow. It really takes less effort than being rude, and the rewards are far better than they get credit for. The most important element in following the basic golden rules, is to practice it everyday, and then pass it on to our children. If we state that we are a kinder, gentler people, then the proof is in the actions, as well as the passing along of good virtues. It might quite possibly breed a stronger nation, that we are just maintaining for our children at the moment, because the teaching starts with us just as it did with our parents.

The magic words are indeed that: magic; and ettiquette should not be a lost art. Being civil and civilized should not be on the short list of common behavior, but rather the norm of decency..... after all, it's what seperates us from all the other animals. Us, the "intelligent" ones, remember?

Just my $1.00's worth.....

Oh, and thank you for reading.......

15 Comments:

Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - I was just talking with a co-worker about this yesterday. People are so ignorant these days. I told my co-worker, you know my mom raised me right. I say all those magic words. It's not very hard to do. I can't understand how people can just be that rude.

When I hold the door open for people and they don't say thank you, I say you're welcome. Just to piss them off.

You're right, manners are a lost art.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

8:57 PM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

You are welcome.

It is sooooooooooooooo true. Neo has a good point - I have had people let the door slam in my face rather than hold it for me.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

All the young people I work with are way into rude behavior. The new one did the Neo door non-deed today. They want to shock n disgust everyone, n think it's very funny.
I argued with my lil sis years ago because she doesn't have her child say please, n I resent being rudely asked for services.

I don't know why this is getting so popular lately. I used to make my children ask in a proper tone of voice also. My niece barks orders at her mom, She'd get zero action out of me!

Oh yeah, N thank you again for the awesome Banana Bread ... !
Southerners are famous for being gracious-

3:00 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~
My brother had a saying about that. He said that the mistake our parents made was that they taught us to be TOO kind, which usually leads us to be taken advantage of. Well, it's too late for me to change that in myself now.
That being said.... I will ignore people who have gone out of their way to be nasty to me. That's also part of my nature... but you have to push the button pretty far in to get me there.

************

barbara~
I never understood how people could just ignore the people behind them when going through a door. Are they that pre-occupied and selfish that they can't just stop for a mili-second to be polite?

************

snaggle~
It makes you wonder how everything got so far out of hand from the time we grew up. I'm not saying we have to go back to the little white gloves, but common politeness was expected from us as kids. It was just the right thing to do.

It also wonder if our school issues of violence isn't a direct effect from the loss of certain expected standards of polite behavior. It's gotten so far out of hand and has spread to elementary schools, which is really shocking to me.

As for the B. bread.... why you've thanked me over and over for it, and it's always my pleasure to send some along!

5:18 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

struggle for justice~
Thank you for stopping by... but you have me intrigued with your comment. I have one question: how so?

8:39 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

So true. We teach everything else in the schools, and demonstrate how to put on condoms! Can't we at least teach the basic niceties?

9:13 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

saur~
I think that schools should expect good behavior from their students, but the real teachings should come from the parents to begin with.

I would like to see a required subject of Life Skills (formerly Home Economics) return to the roster of subjects offered in high schools. They could expand it to include Drivers Ed, and learning how to deal with the real world. But that's an entirely different subject to post on for another day.

10:31 AM  
Blogger X said...

Drivers not using signals while driving is one of my biggest pet peeves! Honestly, they are placed by the wheel for a reason! USE THEM!!!!!!!!!

That said (tee hee), I really think courtesy and kindness has fizzled out of our society in an alrming rate in recent years. I hope that it goes back in fashion to be nice and polite.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

K.~
I know what you mean about the signals, and it peeves me as well. They have a specific purpose and no other function, but people just assume you know where THEY are going, and refuse to use them. IDIOTS!!!!

That said, I agree with your second paragraph. I witnessed it during the immediate days after 9/11. For some reason, people just slowed down on the roads, were kinder to their fellow man, and even crime stats went down. Funny how we need a tragedy to show us some how to be polite to one another, huh?

1:25 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Ah, well in my case. I see it as. Don't let my kindness fool you into thinking I'm weak eh?

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

7:44 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

ej~
Good for your Mom to pass down a good set of values... but then that's a good Moms job. I remember always asking my son if he had a good time wherever he went, and the next question was, "did you say please and thank you?" It's mortifying for a parent if their kid is a brat.

************

neo~
LOL! Good one, I'll have to tell my brother that!

xo

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW

Your brother got it!

Great reading.

love Karl

11:11 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I say all the magic words too! It really doesn't take much effort and it goes such a long way!

I also love all the gentleman courtesies for a lady. Maybe I am just old fashioned.
:)

11:15 PM  
Blogger neal said...

I agree, manners have become a lost art. I hold the door open for almost everyone and hardly ever hear a thank you from anyone under 30. Some of the older folks still remember though. I always make sure I hold the door for ladies, I was just raised to treat women with respect even if they act like they don't deserve it.

Another thing I really have a problem with is the use of profanity. Sure I swear sometimes but never around ladies, bosses, or in a public place. I might do it at work with some of my co workers but that is it. I remember getting slapped out of my chair for using the word 'sucks' at home one time. Kids younger and younger are cussing worse than I ever have. You can't feed them cayenne peppers anymore either, that is child abuse.

Thank you for posting this. I had my son read it so that he can see that I am not the only one left in the world who thinks manners are important.

P.S. Garden pics will be on the way shortly.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

karl~
I never looked at it the way Neo described, but will from now on.
Glad you enjoyed!

************

lee ann~
I'm with you on the courtesies as well... there's just something so very nice about it all, and it shows good breeding.
My Dad was a real stickler about the courtesies, and made sure to teach them all to my brothers, as well as myself.

************

neal~
I admit I have my sailor mouth moments... but I make an effort not to say them in mixed company. (It's usually when someone cuts me off on the road, but I've even re-trained my mouth/ brain to call them an idiot instead.)

I'm flattered that you let your son read this and I hope it helps to drive your point home for him.
You're right, the lack of common courtesies runs high amongst our youth, as well as many adults. It's probably why the rest of the world views us as the "ugly/ rude American".

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home