Monday, April 24, 2006




















a successful party and a happy birthday girl..........

Several months back I had received a phone call from a regular customer that was planning her own 50th birthday party. Since I know she has particular tastes and styles (obviously, since she was planning her own party), I decided to meet with her in person rather than to try and set her catering up over the phone. A personal touch does go a long way, and my decision proved to be well worth the effort.

Our initial meeting lasted over two hours as we pondered over her choices of menu, placement of food, and staff needed. Since she lives in an exclusive (georgeous/ manicured/ gated) golf community that had just come into full bloom, I had no problem with that.... as the scenery into her backyard resembled fine gardens worthy of Monet. She was planning to have the party in her gardens.... scattered tables and eating areas, all listening to a band she had hired for the event. I had to remind her that (in my experience) most people gathered around the bar area, no matter where you placed tables..... just as they do in kitchens, when it is an indoor party. It never fails....ever. She still had designs of her plan she hadn't ironed out yet, and enter me with the expertise to lead her in the right direction. We clicked once more, and she took my suggestions with very little protest. We ironed out all the details, she took notes (as did I) and we came to a meeting of minds. Yes, this was a going to be a nice party, with only the best silver in attendance to fulfill the effect.

Usually I ask for a final count one week before the event, so that it gives us ample time to start purchasing the menu product... and start the prepping some things as early as possible. If you ever had to cook for 120 people, you get the picture. Two days before the event I received a phone call from her, and she's had a change of mind about her food. As we are on the phone, the truck arrives with the mushrooms and potatoes she wants to nix, and have shrimp cocktail in its place. As delicately as possible, I convince her that it really is too late at this point. If she only called me one day earlier, I might have been able to do something for her..... but, geez, the truck has already arrived with her fresh produce ready to be made into the wonderful delicacies she had chosen originally. Not to worry, she already had shrimp and scallop kabobs and bacon wrapped scallops as part of her choices.... wouldn't new potatoes and herb stuffed mushrooms widen the variety choice? She relented, and gave in. Whew!

Since I knew this was still not going to be an easy set-up, I asked if I could come the day before to bring the chafers and as much equipment as possible to put in place, because the next day it would be very hectic.....oh, and did I mention that she is an easily excitable person? And not the "haha" type, but more along the lines of "determined to run things as the mistress of the house" personality. No big problem, as I already knew all this, hence my suggestion. She is not the type of person who can plan things in her head, and depends on visuals. This means that we changed the placement of chafers on her diningroom table a dozen times. She would step back to investigate.... not be very pleased, then we'd start all over again. As it turned out, it took longer to set the diningroom table then it did to unload my truck (and I can pack a lot of equipment in there); I was glad for my decision to come a day early.

Friday set-up night saw the sky get dark, thunderclouds move in, and once again threats of horrendous tornado warnings. Not so much for our area, but we would get the rain, no doubt. In my mind, I could only think of the lawn that would turn to mud from such a soaking, and I wasn't wrong. My trip to her house on Saturday, 3 hours before the first guests arrived, had me face to face with a woman who greet me in shorts, curlers in her hair, and the look of pain on her face because the clouds hadn't quite cleared yet. Since she had rented a tent, and had it set-up in her nice big driveway, we placed the tables there, and erected a bar down in her bricked garden area. Everything was now in its place, and the band had arrived to set themselves up as well. Walking through my final details, and putting even more equipment into place, all I had to do was wait for the food to arrive, which it promptly did at 3:00. By now, the sun was out, but the grass was taking a pummeling from all the walking I had to do to stock the garden bar. This would prove to be a slight problem to the ladies arriving in their spike heels, as they did sink in upon occasion.

Guests arriving at 4:00... and all the way up to the fashionably late ones at 9:00, were greeted, offered wine and shown to the gardens for a tropical drink called a Mojito, in case they didn't care for wine. When I first saw the amount of wine cases she had purchased for this party, I really was under the impression that she'd have many bottles left over, and I was wrong in that assessment. These people really packed the wine and Mojitos away.... and I was thankful that most of them were either within walking distance, or had taken their golf carts instead of cars to arrive there. No one get sloppy drunk, but still, a lot of alcohol was consumed.

The guest of honor had just enough time to ready herself further, before the first guests arrived, and luckily she was not indecisive about her fashion attire. All the guests brought lovely wrapped presents, which were collected and brought to a bedroom to be placed on the bed. By the end of the night, I had a chance to go in there for something, and couldn't help but think that it was going to take her a month to write out all those thank you notes.... the bed was covered, and it had spilled over to the dresser. It was better than Christmas!

The party went off without a hitch. Delicious food aromas waifed through the kitchen, and the people were showing signs of being hungry. The pre-hors d'oeuvres were not enough to sustain them, and at 6:00 we opened the buffet. This proves to be my busiest time during any party. Between keeping the chafers stocked, and collecting any items from people who are finished and ready to be rid of their plate and silverware, it causes me to be in several places at once. For the most part, this is also when the time flies by the fastest at any event. You actually have no time to even think about time..... except when it comes to your legs and feet. (Which reminds me, I need a more comfortable pair of shoes!)

The next thing I know, it's 8:30..... the party is winding down, and the sun is setting well into the west. A nice comfortable cool has arrived in the air, and the guests are starting to leave in pairs of two. It's serious clean-up time for us. We have to collect all of our equipment, empty the pans of food in containers to be set in their refrigerator, and load our vans. I am now on my 8th hour of working this party, and to say my "dogs were barking" is an understatement. I have hit hobble mode. Luckily I didn't have to carry any heavy equipment, as my two male partners get those honors, but I did need to oversee everything that we took away to make sure it was ours and not some of the dishes she supplimented in the table displays. Going off without a hitch, the vans are loaded, and the boys are on their way back to our kitchen to start the dishes. I wait around for payment of the invoice, while also wishing I had that bottle of Aleve in my hands to stop the throbbing my aching legs are shouting to me. The night is over, and I am thankful that I live somewhat close to this particular event. Whatever got loaded into my truck can certainly wait till Sunday to clean.

Handing me the check, with a very nice tip included, I thank both mistress and master of the house for allowing us to cater this event. It was indeed a pleasure, and I told them to call me anytime we could help them with special food needs in the future. (It's a standard line, but everyone gets a smile out of how I drop that "it's a pleasure to serve you" schtick. It makes them feel very important, and we get recommended amongst their friends.) She was beside herself telling me that everyone had complimented the food and catering company.... we had indeed made her party a success, and she wanted some cards to hand out to friends for future business. Oh sure.... cards?.... you betcha! Since we can't put a card holder out at a private party (too tacky), we have them on hand for anybody who asks. This little marketing technique has paid off well in the past, and I do private parties for people who wouldn't think to use anybody else. Our level of service is that good.

Hobbeling into my vehicle, I set the dashboard on auto pilot and head home. No matter how tired I am, the car instinctively knows the way to my house. Parked in my driveway, I breathe one sigh of relief before I collect my purse, and limp my way up the last flight of stairs I have to climb that night. It's time to rip off the tux shirt and get into jammies.... and in finally floating off to sleep I smile to myself knowing that we successfully earned another golden star in our list of distinguished patrons.

14 Comments:

Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Alot of work, eh? My feet feel your pain... That's a busy day, sounds like lotsa foot-work! Think I'll go soak the toes now...
Pretty time-consuming projects- Sounds like you're a good problem-solver!

12:58 AM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

wow...sounds like you had your work cut out for you. I felt like I was there, you telling the story. It really does sound like an interesting job...you must meet all kinds of people.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Bravo!
Sounds like a hard night, but something you can be proud of!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

snaggle~
It's amazing the amount of work that goes into one private party... but then there are some that we breeze through as well. No doubt the legs and feet take a beating some days. Hubby tells me that I should buy several pairs of shoes and bring them with me on these caterings... just to switch off and trick my mind into thinking my feet are more comfortable. He says, "If your feet ain't happy, ain't nothing happy on your body". Hahaha... how right he is on that!

************

city~
Luckily I knew my work was cut out for me when I answered the phone on the initial call. From there it was a matter of making sure she thought everything was going her way... which we still managed to accomplish.
I do meet many wonderful and nice folks through catering... and the best part is that it is so different from waiting tables. When people go out to eat, they instantly become critics... when it's catered food, they are all so happy in party mode, that almost nothing goes wrong giving them no chance to become a critic. Also, we have great food, so I know I can stand by our product with no worries whatsoever.

************

lee ann~
Thanks! Yeah, this one was harder than most, but I still came away with a smile, because I know we did a great job... no matter the circumstances I had to iron out beforehand. I did some private bitching and complaining before I arrived at the party, then affixed that botox smile on my face, and carried on as usual upon my arrival. It always works better if I can vent, straighten my mind out and then leave it behind while I go on to the task at hand. Of course, the big tip helped!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Sounds like a rewarding day!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

Hi Ellen, just came by to say Hi. I'll have to read this post later as I'm in a dash to get to pool on time.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

saur~
What's that saying.... the greatest rewards are the ones you work hardest on....
Only too glad it payed off in the end.

************

skyeblue~
No problem.... go! Win that game of pool and makes lots of money on bets doing it! You can always read later.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Wow, I got tired reading about how hard you worked. Glad you were able to bring it! LOL

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

10:11 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~
Yeah, I guess I'm taking some good lessons from the man who knows how to bring it, huh?
By the way, the legs have recooped... but it did take all of Sunday morning to do it. I was still limping around for a little bit.

10:42 PM  
Blogger wes said...

It sounds like a lot of work to host such an elaberate party. The sheer logistics of that kind of party terrify my little mind. :p

But I bet there isn't a better feeling in the world than when you finish a party that was so successful, and get into your car to drive home. The feeling of accomplishment must be overwelming. :)

1:33 AM  
Blogger X said...

Looks like the hard work paid off! I'm glad your client was happy and there will be recommendations in it for you. It really helps adding that personal touch, taht way people have little things to remember about your methods that they can boast about! :)

12:33 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

wes~
That's it in a nutshell: accomplishment. I always feel better when I've accomplished something.... be it a well-run party, or a post on my blog. And the sigh of relief that I've finished is a big one... not to mention the smile on my face!

************

k.~
I especially liked the ladys comment at the end of the party: "You never disappoint me, Ellen, everything was wonderful!" Yup, you just can't buy that kind of marketing. And you're right, it's the little details that will get boasted about, because they are seldom taken care of.
One lady came up to me towards the end of the night and hired me to cater her daughters graduation party on May 14th. (Mothers Day, and my sons 20th birthday.)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

I should have taken your advice, I ended up 2-2 that night. Thanks for the good wishes!

9:40 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

N workin on Mother's day 2? You'll have to find something special to do for yourself that day to make up for it!
My daughter's b-day is 2 days after Chris's So many coincydinks...

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home