Thursday, April 20, 2006




















we've got the whole wide world in our hands......

I've always been under the impression that there was a reason why we are all here. In my opinion, I think it has much to do with evolution; as well as powers beyond our imagination of who God is. Without a good mixture of both, we would probably fail at surviving. Stay with me here... I know this sounds a little freaky. To me, our "God" is everything around us: the sun and the air, the land and the sea. We are but visitors here, just as everything else was before man made his first appearance. Somehow our species managed to evolve due to the careful ingredients of God and evolution. Our brains expansion along with the capacity to communicate made our species the smartest because of this intelligence. But being so smart has not helped to pay off a future for us, as we are destroying our God in the process.

For nations to come under attack against each other perpetuates the demise of our species (remember us, the intelligent ones?), as well as the very ground we stand on. Most of these conflicts come about because of religious beliefs.... and who's got the better "God". What's forgotten in the process is that "God is all around us"....... have we forgotten one of the first rules of religion? It's the only one theory I hold from my former days as a Catholic..... I did believe in that one. Here's where I differ from most, and my agnostic beliefs surface. If God was all around us, then he was in everything; he was our magical exlixer for a better life...... not a long, long life, just a better one. He was also in my heart in the way I treated my fellow man. He was in the ground we stood on, making the Earth habitable for our species to thrive. He was in the sun and air, allowing us to adapt to the atmosphere that holds our life. He was in the good and bad things we need to learn in order to survive. These survival techniques became our "evolution" into who and what we are today.

Somehow, we still do not heed the message of God..... and to me, it's not some man on his throne who lives in the clouds of heaven...... it's the God of "earth", in which we have found random ways to destroy the land. And now it seems like "it's" found ways to come back and bite us in the butt. Due to the many ways we've polluted our environment, raped and pillaged its forests, and dumped our wastes in the oceans...... is it to no wonder how the weather is effected by this. The earth is still a fragile planet that has taken a lot of guff from our species, but everyday it finds ways to fight back and place warnings to the greatest of our minds. It becomes scary to think we are not paying more attention to these warnings.

In two days we will celebrate Earth Day. In searching wikipedia on the web, there are a couple of versions how Earth Day was started, but there is no doubt that business manager of the Nobell Research Foundation, John McConnell had a big hand in the efforts we see today. He designed the first Earth Day Flag, and introduced the idea at a 1969 UNESCO Conference on the Environment in San Francisco. It was determined that the vernal equinox that marks the precise moment that spring begins in the Northern Hemisphere, and autumn in the Southern Hemisphere, would be a perfect day to celebrate. At this global moment, both day and night are equal lengths everywhere on earth. At the South Pole, the sun sets, bringing an end to the six month long day, while at the North Pole, the sun rises, ending six months of continuous darkness. If you were to stand a pole perfectly vertical at the equater, no visible shadow would show. It was the equilibrium where differences were to be forgotten and nature's renewal would be celebrated by all.

In 1970, the original date set around March 21st ( the vernal equinox), got changed to April 22nd as the new date to celebrate Earth Day. This day is coincident with Arbor Day that started in the 1800's. Laws were passed by Congress in the wake of 1970 Earth Day, including the Clean Air Act. These laws would protect our drinking water, wild lands and the ocean..... and in this wake, the EPA was created in 1973.

So thanks to the efforts of a few good men (who were paying attention), we are aware that we need to replace the things we take away, and quit destroying the things here that are bountiful to our nature. But we do have a long way to go. An effort by all of us here who haibitate this planet, makes it our duty to keep it clean and safe for the next generations behind us. My generation dropped the ball. We were supposed to send our greatest minds out there in 1975 to make the world better and safer environmentally. Plans of wind power and electric cars were supposed to be part of our society today.... isn't that what the salutatorians speech was all about at our high school graduation? We failed, because the greedy 80's and 90's were more appealing. Yeah, we did get that nasty smoke out of the air, and the quality of breathing did get better. Our rivers and oceans are supposed to be cleaner than they were in the 60's and 70's......but I state once again, we do have a long way to go.

I am fortunate to live in a town that takes this very seriously. We have regular recycling pick-up, as well as a center where you can bring just about everything to (except household garbage, as that's picked up seperately). I make my monthly trecks to our center one mile away and unload all my cardboard, plastic bags, magazines, used oil , batteries, plastic containers, and anything else they'll take. You can even bring old appliances there for a dumping fee. They crush everything down and have it trucked off to a plant that will recucle it into something usable again. In a disposable society, this is an important element to the cycle of garbage. Americans put out about 30% of the world's garbage, and although we only constitute 5% of the worlds population, we consume 24% of the worlds energy. We're the biggest bad guys of them all, unless we change the way we use up and dispose of our resources.

So if you've stayed with me so far, I'd like to leave a few parting words with you.......

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."
~ U Thant, Secretary General of the United Nations: 1961- 1971

"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choice in ecology, economics, and the ethics that will provide a sustainable future; eliminate pollution, poverty, and the violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster the peaceful progress in the human adventure."
~ John McConnell

No cards need to be sent out for this day.... all we can hope for is that everyone plants a seed, grows a garden or cleans up their act, because, after all, if we don't take care of what's in our hands today, we risk extinction of everyones God tomorrow.

12 Comments:

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Beautiful.
For some reason, this made me think of Earth Shoes! Remember those?
Have a great evening!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

lee ann~
Yes I do. I think they were my most favorite pair of shoes to wear during the 70's because they were so comfortable.

Are you getting all these thunderstorms we're getting? They've been coming every night for the past few days.
Hope your night is safe and warm!

9:01 PM  
Blogger wes said...

I've been an environmentalist for awhile now, and I always try to do my part. Our recycling program here is not near what it should be, but I still do what I can.

The only thing that annoys me is that conservation of the environment is always viewed as a 'left-wing' type of thought, or you are refered to as a 'tree-hugging' liberal. I hate these terms. Since when is caring for the environment only a left-wing issue, when it should be a human issue. Do right-wing thinkers not live in the environment, do they live in some corner of the earth that is seperate from the environment? I don't think so. :)

12:23 AM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

Ellen: great interpretation on God and what we are supposed to be here for. I agree with what you said. Taking care of the environment is extremely important...thanks for pointing that out.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Happy Earth Day!

I agree, people should take care of the planet better than they do. Mother Earth is crying out to us each and every day. And sadly too many people don't listen to her.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

PS. Nice profile pict. ;)

10:25 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

wes~
I agree, and got tired of being labeled a tree-hugger just because I cared about the environment. What a silly mis-labeling that is!

Good for you to do your share.... most people are only concerned about the disposable end of our society, and can't think past that.

************

citysoul~
Thanks, sweetie! I only hope I didn't sound too weird in my interpretation. I understand that it is a personal experience for everybody to find their own God... and even agree with them on some of those interpretations. Mine just excludes the personification, and is more spiritual from my heart.

************

neo~
Happy Earth Day to you, too!
I love the new profile picture, and can't thank you enough for posting it for me. If only I wasn't so confused on the directions.....

I think it says "secret garden" in all the right ways. Did you notice that the greenery coming from the pot is heart-shaped? Ah, my favorite shape in the world!

~xo always!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

;o) My assistant, Zen Buddist, has you beat. She believes in space aliens. She thinks they impregnated Mary, and are responsible for the evolution of mankind. Hey, it's not any more proveable than most other theories...

4:40 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

saur~
Well, I'm not quite into the spaceship/ alien stuff... that's a little far down the path for me. But then, to each his own.

I like hearing about peoples theories, as it allows me to open my mind to possibilities and probabilities. It doesn't mean that I will accept them all as my own.... but the stories are ok in their own right. I try very hard to accept all people for who and what they are based on the actions they speak and show, but am not a fan of people who try to push their religion on me, and tell me I'm going to hell if I don't follow *their* God. That is where I part ways from their belief system. But once again I state, to each his own when it come to beliefs.
My God still comes from my heart, and I know I am a congregation of one, which doesn't bother me or my God.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

Makes perfect sense to me, but I'm not normal! George Carlin used to say (paraphrased)"Don't save the Earth, save yourself. The Earth was here long before us and will be here long after we're gone. The Earth doesn't need us, we need it. The Earth doesn't care what we do, but we should."

~Mike

3:29 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

mike~
Seeing that you are also a congregation of one, I knew you'd see my point...
Great Carlin quote.... he still is one of the best out there because he allows you to think beyond the ironies of life.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Happy Earth Day!

I believe the same, that there's a creator who's in all that's around us. The term, "alien", means any being from off Earth, so the term seems incorrect to use.

I also believe Earth complains physically and chemically to the surface changes we impose in our expansion of population. Killing off the plants which are supplying n replenishing the atmosphere to sustain our species seems very foolish to me! As well as ruining the water to sustain food-supply species we need.

Go ahead n call me a tree-hugger, I don't mind! I do care about them a great deal, n I'm upset with each I notice newly cut-down for convenience n the almighty construction-developer. 200 years to grow, one after-noon to clear an entire lot of them...

Try to replant, but the toxic rain, air, n parasites of our industrial age will never equal the quality of conditions the original trees had to help them be healthy n long-living.
The health of our own species is affected with rising illness rates of previously rare maladies.
All the planets species are on the same boat... er or space ship!

I'm a bit passionate about the natural world, n opposed to alot of make-over cement!
Thanks for the soap-box!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

snaggle~
Thanks for weighing in... and always know that my soapbox is your soapbox, anytime. I remember reading a brilliant post you did about the environment not too long ago, and still think it's one of the best arguements for taking care of the earth better than we do.
I also am a tree-hugger, and feel no shame in admitting to it. We got too caught up on it during the 70's, but never did enough about it to stop all the cement and housing that goes on.
To this day, one of my favorite songs is by Joni Mitchell... you know the one: "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home