Friday, May 05, 2006


















dr. teddy.......

What should be an intimidating time in every womans life, actually is not so bad for me. What am I talking about? Why, our annual exam, of course. The time of the year when we allow ourselves to be clothed into paper jerseys while strange hands perform health techniques to see if all our inner and outer parts are in place. What fun!

Actually, I am fortunate to have the nicest gynocologist in the world. He realizes the intimidation of this process and does everything he can to put me completely at ease... because, let's face it, nothing makes you more vulnerable than your legs raised up into stirrups while your butt is no more than 1/10th of an inch away from falling off the edge of the table. It is hard to act completely natural about this procedure, but you realize it is a necessary evil in your scope of things to do for the year. Besides, it might just save your life.

My Dr. Teddy holds a complete conversation with me the whole time, and barely looks away from my eyes as he speaks. He inquires about my life, my health, and my business, all the while giving me an exam. Heck, he even warms up the stethoscope first before checking my lungs. Speaking of which, he does know that I smoke, and I had a nice conversation with him about that this time. Once, years ago, he wrote a prescription for Zyban. I never filled it, because I guess I wasn't ready at the time... I know, bad, bad me. This time I saw his face light up when I told him I wanted to make a concerted effort to stop, and could we try again? Of course this made his day, as he has been trying for some time now to achieve this goal with me.

What surprised me was the medication he prescribed this time. (Yeah, I know, I should just go cold turkey, but even he didn't recommend that with me. ) He wrote out a prescription for Wellbutrin . I'm no expert, but I do remember the commercials on TV for this drug, and looked at him sort of perplexed. Isn't that an anti-depressant? Why yes it is... all the more reason to help you quit, and get over the cravings without taking someones head off in the process, because we all know what a craving will do when not fulfilled. He explained the process as one that you do not exactly quit at first. You need to let the medication get into your system for a week or two, then gradually cut down as your brain no longer craves the nicotine and noxious tars. Let's go for it, doc! I need to finally take this monster out, and am too weak to let my willpower speak for itself.

Of course we covered other subjects about my health as well. Now that I am well into my 40's and 50 is fast approaching, it was time to start talking about osteoporosis (sp?) . I told him I had no fears on that subject as I drink what amounts to a whole cow in milk a day. He kind of gave me a funny look and asked, "Really?" Yup, milk's always been my drink (besides tea), and I've never broken a bone in my life. I never acquired a taste for soda, and don't find it remotely appealing as a thirst-quencher. Good answer.... he liked that one.

We went over a myriad of other questions, and with a hand shake and "pleasure to see you again", I was back into street clothes and on my way out of the gynocologists office, and driving to my local Kaiser facility to have my prescription filled. While there, I decided to make another appointment have bloodwork done up. Since diabetes runs very high in my family (not to mention strokes, heart disease, and a few other deadly things), I wanted to put my mind at ease over the abuse I've thrown at it in the past few years. This doctor was informative and friendly as well. He thought it smart that I take the precaution, even if his nurse looked at me like I was crazy to do so. So for the second time, I hopped up on the scales for weigh-in, and wondered how I had gained five whole pounds in 30 minutes, when I hadn't even eaten yet. Then I remembered that I had purposely taken off my shoes at the gyno's office, where I forgot to do that at Kaiser. Yikes! My shoes weigh five pounds..... no wonder my feet and legs ache at the end of the day! Who needs a treadmill when you have these babies on, I thought to myself.

So now I sit and wait for two weeks for test results, and my brain to catch on to the fact that I don't need ciggarettes anymore. It won't be easy, and I'm sure I will still crave them long after I smoke the last one. I only hope my bitchiness doesn't show in this quest, but I'm not expecting complete miracles other than to quit altogether. I know my family will be happy, and my lungs as well.

As for Dr. Teddy.... well his parting words to me were, "Let's hope next year when you come in, you can tell me that you are smoke-free." I adore Dr. Teddy....he's been the best! And why do I call him Dr. Teddy? Because his last name is Bearman.

14 Comments:

Blogger Kristie said...

I am like you in that i do not fret over my yearly exam. I like to know that everything is working ok "down there". And it helps that i have a very nice doctor as well, sounds alot like yours.

And just so you know: Zyban and Wellbutrin are the same drug, just marketed under different names for different things. But they are the same thing chemically. So he really didnt write you anything different.

1:46 AM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I have a good friend in Maine from back in our Baby Era, who took that rx about 3 years ago n was smoke-free without cravings for six months, until she stopped taking it. Her Hubby was still smokin, so she easily went back to it.
Stress is what got her to start-up again. Convenient excuse...

Best of luck !

3:24 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

kristied~
It's kind of a relief to know about the two drugs, because the pharmacist looked at me kind of funny, until I explained that I was trying to quit smoking. Her demeanor changed immediately, and I thought she might have thought I was would go postal on her if she didn't answer my questions. I always have a habit of asking if I need to do anything special (like take food, or not take food) whenever I get a prescription filled. Even though it's on the bottle, I want to hear it straight out of the mouth of the pharmacist.

Glad to see you have a gyno you like... I find that very important!

************

snaggle~
I did ask Dr. Teddy about that same issue, and he had the prescription refillable for 3 months, but hoped I wouldn't need it. What frightens me a little more is if I stop taking them, will I "crash"? I used to take St. Johns Wort for stress years back, and did crash when I stopped.

Luckily, nobody else smokes here, and my son is always after me to stop... the little heath-conscious guy that he is. Actually, he's been after me for about 15 years to stop, and I always made it a point to not smoke around him. Not so much for the nagging aspect, but rather that I didn't think it fair he should be subjected to second-hand stuff.

Thanks for the well wishes!

************

ej~
I did ask about the patch as I had several friends use that method. They swear by it, but always end up smoking again after they get quit putting it on. Besides, Dr. Teddy told me that I still get the nicotine in my system, just not the tars.
A friend of mine told me that he had a friend who was on the patch, forgot about it, and lit up due to a stress related episode. They had to call an ambulance as he almost had a heart attack. I could see myself doing the same stupid thing.

Thanks for the well wishes!

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

greetings and salutations from Karl;

OK Ellen I just read your latest blog and NOW I know more than I need too. However being a mature married indivdiual that I am, I feel for you during this medical proceedure. I too have been subjected to invasive snooping around while scantly clad in nothing more than a paper smock that covers little more than my pride. However, case in point...it can save your life and after all that is want's most important.

Good luck with it all. And most of all...be healthy.

love Karl

1:25 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

bro karl~
You made it in! Yay! I can't wait till you start your own blog!

Thanks for the kind words; encouragement is the order of the day, and it's nice to see a family member push me towards the goal.

xo~sis

7:00 PM  
Blogger X said...

Good luck on your smoke-free quest! :)

Sounds like you have a great relationship with your doc, you're very lucky.

I always get scared of those medications advertised on television. They always seem to have more side-effects than benefits.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I have a marvellous female ob-gyn. Her methods are similar, so maybe they learn it in ob-gyn school? ;o) I'm glad to hear you're quitting, but it won't be easy. He was right to prescribe Wellbutrin. It's commonly prescribed to people dealing with addictions. It will help you get over the worst of it. Hang in there, hon!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

K.~
Thanks much!
Yes, I feel the same way about the medicines they advertise on TV, and feel that the side effects they list are as frightening as the problem. (nausea, vomiting, drowsyness, blood clots...etc....)
Yikes, I really hope this works!
So far, so good in as much as I've had no real side effects on my second day... other than a nagging feeling that I'd like to take a nap or two. Hahaha!

************

saur~
Thanks, sweetie. Besides Mike A's successful go at it, yours was a powerful message a while ago that I should quit.
I just wish that it would kick in faster, but then part of this whole quest is my own wimpy willpower and the fact that my brain needs to get with the program.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

I'm so glad to hear that you're going to take a run at quitting. Just remember that it is possibly THE most difficult addiction to overcome. Don't get discouraged if you find it too hard at first, just keep trying.

I'm glad to know that I was of some motivational help but remember, this is the FIFTH time I'v quit it the last 2 years. It's been just over six weeks now and I still think about smoking sometimes - it just comes out of nowhere.

You can do it - don't worry about the willpower, it has very little to do with that. It has much more to do with willingness. If you have that, you'll get there - just keep at it.

~Mike

6:22 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Ellen, you're a great person. There aren't many of you around. Like I told Mike, I'd like you around as long as possible. ;o)

9:58 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Good luck quitting! I know I should quit too. Neo inhales Yup, it's not good. Puff ;>

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

5:43 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

mike~
I've quit before in the past, and was successful to make it 30 days before I caved in again. I remember how difficult it was then, and know that a lot of it is due to habits of what we do when we smoke (after eating, when first waking up, etc....)
I'm glad to see that you are 6 weeks along, and know you are still struggling with those moments that tempt you. Congrats!

************

saur~
You've left me speechless....
thank you for your kind words.

************

neo~
Yeah, it's time. I smoke too much, and have been smoking too long. It doesn't make me any healthier, I know that.
Thanks for the well wishes!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

I like Dr. Teddy :)

I just went thru this too and the worst part for me is feeling like I am going to fall off the damn table (scoot down, a little more, a little more).

Yes, Zyban and Wellbutrin are the same. I took "W" for years and it did have one icky side affect.

Quitting smoking is not easy but you can do it (talk to Mr. Althouse!)

Glad I finally had a chance to come ovder here and check up on you.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

barbara~
Yeah, that whole experience of falling off the table is a hoot, because you always feel like your going to no matter what they tell you. Then you get the "hot lamp" treatment... and everything else that makes you feel so uncomfortable. But it does save our lives, so it's the price we pay.
What is the icky side effect I should know about?

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home