Sunday, May 07, 2006



















the idiot box......

For as long as I can remember, I've been addicted to television. I grew up during the era when TV was in it's infancy (as was I), and shows like Ozzie and Harriett could keep me in rapt attention for the full half hour it was on, as well as a myraid of other great shows. My Dad always enjoyed TV as well, and I probably got the habit from him. My Mom on the other hand referred to it as the "idiot box", and only watched something if it was important, or an old movie was on that she remembered from her childhood of going to the "picture show". We only had three channels (ABC, NBC, CBS), and it came into the house in black and white only. Color made its debut in the early 70's in our home, but you still had to get up to change the channel, or shut it off entirely. If you stayed up past 1 AM, the station played the National Anthem and went to fuzzy screen.... a signal that it was time to go to bed.

I lived without a color TV for many years on my own, as black and white was the only set I could afford after I moved out of my parents home. No big deal, at least I could still watch my favorite shows, even if I couldn't see them in color. I survived "colorless" till the middle of the 80's, when I moved in with my now husband, who had a great set.... with a remote! Wow.... I was styling now! I no longer had to get off my butt to change the channel, and we actually got a few more channels than the usual three. This certainly opened up the playing field a bit, and I was thrilled with the new freedom TV offered. We couldn't afford cable, but that was ok, as we could transport the TV into any room and just plug it in to watch. Reception was dependant on the rabbit ears that stuck out of the top of the set, and the closer to a window, the better the picture came in.

In 2001, I finally relented to the naggings of my son, and had cable connected to our sets. We finally moved up into the new millenium, and tantilizing from my friends ceased, because they couldn't understand how I had gotten along so far without it. Well, what you don't have, you don't tend to miss, and it was always because of the cost factor that kept me from having it in the first place. But relent I did, and it was one more item on the list that my son made that he could scratch off of "wantful things" in our home. (What's funny about that list is that I do manage to knock off the items listed, but he always manages to find new things to put on it. At this point in his life, I told him he needs his own home to do the bidding for, as the money tree had all it could do to afford the mortgage, utilities and upkeep of this house. Besides "wantful things" doesn't necessarily mean "needful things", and he has a hard time understanding the differences... but then all kids do, huh?)

After a very long weekend of catering two seperate weddings, I wanted nothing more than to sit back with my feet up and snap on the set to lose my mind in senseless sit-coms and movies. I came home Saturday morning at 1 AM after the first wedding, clicked the remote and the fuzzy picture greeted me. Hmmmmm...... that's odd, I paid the bill (for the first time I was even early doing it), and the connection hadn't been tampered with, so what's the problem? Within 30 minutes, my son came home from work and told me that cable had been out all day. We finally deduced what the problem was. My next door neighbor has sold their home and moved to Port Richey, Florida. They must have had cable disconnected, and cable guy snipped the wrong wire. It all made perfect sense, and was what I explained to the cable customer service people when I called. After plenty of apologies, an upgrade to my cable service for the same amount of money I pay now, and plenty of more apologies, they assured me that someone would be on it immediately. Off I go to cater my early wedding on Saturday, hoping that when I get home, cable is back to normal. No such luck. They didn't show all day, and I made another call to my provider. Again, many apologies, followed by "we'll call you right back with an ETA... so stay by your phone". That was at 7:30 PM, and I never heard from them again all night.
I picked up a book and called it a night. What the heck, I'm always complaining that I never have enough time to read anyway.

Cable was restored by noon today, but I was so engrossed in the book, that I had a hard time putting it down, and ended up reading over half it before finally starting dinner. I had already finished one book between Friday and Saturday, and was already into my second one. Amazing what a few days away from the "idiot box" will force you to do.... knowing that you should be doing these things all along. Of course I am glad that cable is restored, and I'm sure it will only be a matter minutes before I am once again glued to the set in my off hours.

Oh.... geez.... gotta go..... Desperate Housewives is on in 10 minutes, and that's another one of my favorites in the ever-growing list of addictions I have.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen;

God for you. Nothing like a good book to pass your time away and exercise your mind. Something the 'idiot box' has difficulty managing to corner the market on! I have always enjoyed reading a good book, and with as many days at sea without that connection tothe rest of the world, I have found it very enlightning and entertaining to sit back and READ. tell that to the cable guy and see what you get for a discount next time.

love Karl

9:14 PM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

I agree with Karl. Give me a book any day. I lost interest in TV a few years ago except for the show "House" :)

10:18 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I also adore the Boob-Tube in down-time, especially news n movies after the work-day. I do make a point of having it totally off for part of every day though. I know folks who never, ever, shut it off!

We did Blk n Wht until '73, then my Dad became famous for being a "Couch Potatoe" with color n a remote. My kids bought mine for Mother's day in the late '90's to replace the out-dated, manual, fuzzy one they had growing up.

I got a few books on my menu this summer, myself! Now all I need is the time. What I like about the tube, is being able to do all kinds of things at the same time ya watch it! (like bloggin)

That's happened to my cable late nights a few times (just basic channels for me) but I have a battery-powered itty-bitty one for those emergencies!

11:36 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

karl~
You've always known me to be a big reader, but lately I've become more like Dad with the TV. I don't read as much as I'd like mostly because I have a habit of falling asleep when I do... and my glasses make this horrible imprint because I forget to take them off first. (I drop off that fast.)
However, I am making a concerted effort to change my addictions/ vices, and find that I missed reading. (You'd like the book I'm into now: "American Evita" about Hilary Clinton. I'm almost finished, and will send it along. After reading this baby, you'll have new reasons to not like her.)

************

barbara~
When you come to think of it, there really isn't a lot on, and it's there mostly for background noise. When I first got cable, it was a real treat because I could catch up on shows that I had missed, and the movie selection was enormous compared to regular TV. I find that I don't turn it on in my office, as I cannot be distracted during the day, and realize I am not missing much anyway. I am more addicted to nighttime TV.

************

snaggle~
LOL! Boob-Tube... another one of my mothers descriptions about TV. I guess she was always too busy with us to really care about what was on TV.... and she LOVED to read. It was her favorite get-away.

You're right about the multi-tasking that can be done while the TV is on. I find that if certain movies are on, I can skip actually "seeing" them, (because I already know the dialogue) and just listen in while doing housework, blogging, etc.

I also know some people who NEVER turn it off... which makes me feel better that I'm not that engrossed into it.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

The last paragraph was funny. You've regressed already!

You'll be shocked to know that I went for a year without a television set, after my divorce. The only thing I missed was the news, and I heard about it on the radio or read it in the paper.

Everyone else around here watches it, but I don't. Even when the plots are good, the commercials annoy me so much that I can't sit through them.

I do watch three shows sporadically: Gray's Anatomy, House (I'm in love with Greg House), and Law & Order.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

saur~
I agree with you about the annoying commercials, as there are plenty of them. There are a couple of cute ones, but they are far outweighed by the crummy ones.

I, too, am a Law & Order fan and love all their spin-offs. Haven't seen House or Grey's Anatomy yet, but hear they are good. That's just like me, I'm always the last one to watch a show, and it's usually on A&E as re-runs before I get interested in them. (I did that with Judging Amy.)

8:24 PM  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

My parents got cable in 1981, the summer before I entered first grade. I remember watching "Pete's Dragon" at least two dozen times that summer.

I also remember the early MTV days.

Now I have satellite TV. I do not think I could deal with no cable or satellite TV. I need my science channel and cartoon network. I also watch National Geographic Channel and Comedy Central.

12:22 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

lazy iguana~
I remember what a big deal it was when MTV came out, and how bands needed the platform of MTV and videos to make it into the big time. Of course I also remember when they needed The Ed Sullivan Show to pitch their music.
I still remember the original show when the Beatles were on. Granted, I was still young, but they were the biggest hit of the early 60's. All this was still in black & white, with a very grainy picture.

We have the some of the same tastes in channels, as I also watch Comedy and Cartoon Network. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm too old for that but I'm a sucker for a good laugh. Besides I still enjoy Family Guy and Futurama on Cartoon Network.

Thanks for stopping by, I always enjoy new visitors, and hope you will feel free to drop by anytime.

5:28 AM  
Blogger neal said...

I remember living in a colorless world also. My parents had a tiny black and white television and I didn't see color except when we went to the big department stores. I remember the first time I saw the Wizard of Oz in color. I was blown away!

Now with all the cable channels it is hard to choose what to watch and sometimes I would rather just leave it off. There is so much mindless dribble on that I feel like I am being patronized as a someone with the IQ of a rock.

When I do watch the idiot box I watch crime shows like Law and Order or CSI. I can't stand the reality shows or any of the game shows, and most sitcoms put me to sleep.

I wish they had a channel that played old cheesy B flick sci fi movies like The Day the Earth Stood Still, or The Tingler with Vincent Price.

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen;

I look forward to receiving your book. And as far as falling asleep in front of the 'box' goes, please don't repeat the ill's of the previous generation. I must admit until you mentioned it, I had completely wiped from my mind dad's mental state during our harmonious and humble family gatherings around the homestead. If I recall correctly it may have had something to do with his Work-Isolator-Neutralizer-Extractor or WINE for short. Personally I prefer to lay in bed and cut through several newspapers and maybe one periodical each night. Sue on the other hand will fall asleep under the paper after opening the first page. So I installed a wall mounted color 'box'....just for social entertainment you know! Other than the news, I really don't have much use for it and only subscribe to cable for better reception and Spongebob for Joey.

As always...I enjoy your blog..keep writing.

Love Karl

7:53 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neal!
Yes! The Wizard of Oz. I remember the first time we saw it in color also. That was too cool for words at the time, and Munchkinland was brilliant and alive. Thanks for reminding me!

Remember how they used to advertise shows with the lead-in that it was "now in color"? That was a pretty big deal for the time.

I like the CSI's and Law & Order's, and occasionally can catch some Twilight Zones on Sci-Fi, especially if they run a marathon. However, I am hopelessly hooked on Desperate Housewives... which is quite silly, but the plots are so good.
No matter what though, I do surf a lot, especially during the commercials.

************

karl~
I do watch the news (in the mornings after the History Channel does its 6 AM highlight of something or other), but find that I can hardly take more than that without being seriously depressed at the state of affairs in the world. Thank goodness Dr. Teddy prescribed happy pills for the quit smoking attempt, as they will now have a dual purpose. LOL!

As for writing.... you need to start a blog, as you have some wonderful stories to tell. In the meantime, I'll be here, and feel free to come over always to keep me entertained!

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen;

Thanks for the nice words. I may not take your advise too soon in starting up my own blog since I am not yet ready to kick off my writing page however it was nice of you to mention it. For the record I will just sit back and read and respond. I am however sending your blog to several friends as well as Sue. It is a nice way to release all those pesky thoughts running a muck in our heads. Especially at a time when I am the 'stay at home dad' and Sue is caring for her mom.

By the way, I just made a real nice sauce while watching the 'box' in the kitchen. Had to catch the news you know. Cooking...my favorite pastime. Must be a family thing huh? the kids have the 'other box' in the living room on overdrive. So I get my space in the kitchen.

Anyway...keep writing this is fun stuff.

Love Karl

6:41 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

karl~
So glad you are having fun with this. This is exactly how I started until Neo (on my sidebar) encouraged me to take it one step further. He was instrumental in getting me all set up and walking me through the process... and I also had a lot of help from Snaggle. She's our "neighbor", you know. You really do meet the nicest people here!

YUM... sketty sauce.... you do make the best one, and I'm pea green with envy that I can't have any. When you were here in 2004 I should have had you make me a couple of gallons to freeze up, and use as I wanted. We all enjoyed it!

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen;

Yes yum yum....the sauce was a classic. Sweet sausages, meatballs and fresh mushrooms. Hey they don't eat like this in the Big House!! I tried something new and combined ground turkey with ground pork to make the meatballs. Kind of a half way measure on the cholesterol. Actually a very good change. Of course I can't release my 'special secret...which believe it or not was Grams secret. I paid a lot of attention!! I must hand it to her I have learned a lot about making the BEST sauce from watching her. Even my clam sauce is second to none. Just ask Rynn. Sue tells me I should write this stuff down. Damn straight I won't!! Someday maybe you and I could collaborate and write a cook book. One of my guests the other night gave my a great idea on how to thicken my clam chowder. My thoughts are rambling on this stuff...even at this late hour.

OK time to hit the hey. The boys get up early for school and I need my rest. Great stuff here Ellen.

Love Karl

10:32 PM  
Blogger Mansoor Qaisar said...

nice blog... looking interested.... keep it up !!!!!!!!

3:31 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

karl~
I know the secret because I paid attention too... but I promise not to reveal it. Yes, a cookbook sounds like a novel idea. Maybe I can make a mint and retire to a villa in Italy... next to George Clooney! Hey, I can dream, can't I?

************

mansoor quasar~
Thanks for stopping by the garden where all visitors are welcome! Glad you enjoy the stories, and hope you have a chance to stop by often!

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home