Tuesday, May 16, 2006














a brave and beautiful city.......

When Sherman marched his troops through Atlanta during the Civil War, then left it in tatters, no one could have ever imagined that the town would rise above the ashes to become a the beautiful international city that it is today. It would take years for it to form, but it would surpass all plans anyone could have envisioned at the time.

If you were to fly into Georgia from any destination, the landscape is covered in green, until this mecca, that appears like an island, pops up in the middle of it. In actuality, Atlanta has three tiers to it's cityscape, but only a keen eye or native son can recognize it. There is the actual city itself, or "downtown", then there's "midtown", and lastly, there's Buckhead. Each area is rich in history and vast in wealth of it's citizens. Starting on Peachtree Steet, the most famous street in the city (that has over 28 surnames for added confusion), it meanders north over 60 miles away to Lake Lanier. Along the way, it changes it's name numerous times, but that's very typical of the way they name streets here.

There are dozens of other neighborhoods that surround and intertwine themselves within the city limits, and they all have charming names that are easily recognizable if you are a native or transplanted native, such as myself. What is equally nice about these neighborhoods is the fact that each one has at least one, if not several, parks. It's as if a park were placed and named, and a neighborhood was placed around it. Convince me that you wouldn't like to live in an area named Morningside, or Garden Hills, and you'd have a hard arguement on my part.

Traveling north from downtown, and heading into midtown is the Margaret Mitchell Museum located on 10th and Peachtree. The MM museum was adopted by the city history center in the 1990's who finally restored it from it's original "dump" appearance. It was here that Margaret Mitchell wrote most of her famous story, "Gone With The Wind"; taking a full ten years to complete. She had always called it "the dump", and with good reason. Her tiny apartment resembled a broom closet at best. It consisted of three tiny rooms, one being a kitchen, one her bedroom, and the front room being her livingroom. It was here she tapped out the pages that told the story of life during the few days before the Civil War and through the Reconstruction Period. It was called "the greatest love story ever told", and the premiere of the movie was held to record crowds in 1939.

The museum now resembles an original brick apartment building, well taken care of, with a lovely green lawn out front. Window casings gleam in white, and flowers are planted along the walkways. It didn't look like that a few years back, nor did it appear that way during Miss Mitchells stay. For many years after her death, the apartment building sat in a state of disrepair, was raped of its beautiful stain glass windows by antique hunters, and set fire to twice during the 1980's by homeless people who occupied its vacant rooms. It looked like a "dump", and we could all understand why Miss Mitchell referred to it that way.

A few miles up Peachtree, is The High Museum where famous pieces of art are displayed on loan, and in collections from famous museums of Europe. It sits across the street from the Woodruff Arts Center, where the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra houses its concert series.. and is only minutes away from the famous Fox Theatre. It is at the Fox where you can see anything from a play to a concert featuring The Clash. (I've done both.)

A little further north is the heart of beautiful Buckhead, where the History Center, a major financial and hotel center of the city, and beautiful mansions reside in park-like settings. If you live in Buckhead, you live in good company, as the Governors Mansion is located a few streets down from the History Center. It was here this past weekend that our Governor invited Prom students to party after their dance, and he served them up pancakes and waffles for breakfast. Isn't that just the friendliest thing you ever heard of?

Travel north of the city and you would cross over the Chattahoochie River into a quaint little town called Roswell, which by population alone is really a city. But there are no tall buildings here.... large, yes, but nothing tall. It even has a town square with a cute little cotillion in it's center park. It is here that you could find southern mansions that were left untouched by the northern troops during the Civil War. These antibellum plantations have all been restored, and are open today for tours of a time when life was a bit slower. Judging by the traffic on the roads, you might have a different idea, but once inside these magnificant homes, you cannot help but be transformed into the life of the early 1800's. In some cases, the original furniture is still in place..... carefully stored during the war; lest the pesky northern troops use it for firewood.

Like the city of Atlanta, Roswell has many parks as well. The two best are located on the Chattahoochie River, and are fondly known as the "river parks" by the locals. It is here that you can set up a picnic and listen to free concerts on saturday nights, or go for a five mile bike ride that connects Marietta (the neighbor in the next county) to Roswell by the river. It is so family friendly, that many people bring their children here to play on the many swing-sets, or teach their children how to ride a bike; after all, it has an amazing bike trail.

Travel a little north of Roswell, and you enter the charming town of Alpharetta. Since the cities are so close together, the area is more known as Roswell/ Alpharetta (even though the high schools of each seperate city have a rivalries that go pretty far back). Like Atlanta and Roswell, Alpharetta has numerous parks and bike trails, but unlike Atlanta, it has no tall buildings. It is in Alpharetta that you would find homes where the Braves players live.... or should I say mansions, and the most prestigious neighborhood is Country Club of the South. No doubt entry here is gated, and the only way in is by invite only.... unless you have the money to purchase one of these million dollar mansions. Let's just say that it is an area that the service industry likes to target, as these people do nothing for themselves. Between the well-manicured lawns, and the parties given for no particular reason, it is obvious that money flows pretty freely when the job is to the specifications of the tennants.

Even though both Roswell and Alpharetta are seperate cities from Atlanta, they still claim to be part of the big city itself.... after all, they still belong to the same county and are counted as part of the population of Atlanta. What once was "moving out to the country" and up to North Fulton county, is now only a 15 minute drive down to the heart of Atlanta..... considering that you do not try this treck during the morning or evening rush hours. The city of Atlanta, that was once burned to the ground, has sprawled in all directions, with each neighborhood and neighboring town laying claim to census results as well as all the metro perks Atlanta has to offer.

In the past 23 years that I have lived here, I have seen the city change, grow and adapt into becoming an international center. We've hosted the 1996 Olympics, and we're home of the most of the Fortune 500 companies. The Civil Rights Movement was born here in the small booth of a pharmacy cafe when Dr. King held court with his followers back in the late 1950's. A wonderful zoo shares a park with our Cyclorama exhibit of the Civil War, and we've just added the worlds largest aquarium to the tourist must-see sights. The city constantly evolves, and leaves nothing to ruin for too long as real estate is a premium. We probably even have the best baseball stadium, as we were able to convert the Olympic Stadium of 1996 into the new home of the Braves. A great honor for all of us has been the 15 consecutive wins by our Braves in the National League playoffs, so they deserved the stadium left behind.

So is it no wonder that Andrew Young had named Atlanta a brave and beautiful city? We have been through several reconstruction processes, starting from the remnants of the Civil War, and into the new millenium with a population of over 4 million people. Like the statue of the Phoenix rising from the ashes that sits downtown, Atlanta continues to push forward and past the constraints of its borders. The city knows no boundries when it comes to its graciuosness and pride.... unless you get stuck on the highway during rush hour. Then it's every man for himself.

21 Comments:

Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

Wasn't it the Fox Theatre that hosted Lynyrd Skynyrd while recording their live album "One More From the Road" in 1977?

I have been to Atlanta just once and would return for just any ol’ reason. I loved it that much! In addition to the aesthetic and historic beauty that abounds there, what struck me hardest was how friendly absolutely everyone was.

I only had a limited amount of time to see the sights, for it was a business trip that I was on (what seems like a world away now... probably 15 or 20 years ago). I spent most of my time manning our company's booth at a trade show in the convention center (if memory serves, it was the IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium... MTT-S - microwave theory and techniques society?? Why would I remember that??). Even the convention center was first rate – and I’ve seen a few!

I recall going to the Coca Cola museum and just walking around whatever part of town the convention center is located in. I remember feeling very safe and amazed at how clean the city was. I also remember – very vividly – how beautiful those Southern Belles were. It reminded me of the line about “the southern girls” in that song by the Beach Boys… “California Girls.”

I have been all over this country and visited many, many cities. Atlanta ranks at the top of the heap. It’s right up there with Boston, St. Louis, Chicago and Denver – just to name a few. I’d go back for a little while or longer… just any ol’ reason will do.

1:05 AM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

On my long road trip south I believe I detoured far around your city on the alternate to Rt 95 road. I believe I saw it out a plane window a few times though! I'll have to "Google Earth" it one of these days.
Sounds very interesting, n huge! Hope I get to travel again one of these days, n take time to slow down to see some of the sights you wrote about.

2:19 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

mike~
Hmmmm.... you got me about the Lynyrd Skynyrd question. I wasn't around then, but my hubby is a native, and I'm sure if they were here, he went to see them. He was a big concert fan during the 70's.

Yup, the city is known to have a big heart, and it's one of the reasons why I still love it. When complete strangers acknowledge you to say hello for no reason, just for passing by you, you gotta wonder why the rest of the world can't get along the same way.

How nice to be able to see a few things while here years back, but we have changed a lot since then, so it's time for any ol'reason to come back! The city still welcomes everyone with wide open arms.

************

snaggle~
I hope you get a chance to get down this way also.... you would enjoy the aquarium, and all the neat sights. There is so much that I left out in my post but that's the beauty of the city.... we never sit idle long enough that one more tourist area cannot be built.

Can't blame you for going around the city on your drive down.... we are notorious about our traffic, and any reason NOT to be in it, is a good reason.

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning Ellen ;

What a nice tribute to your home town. Having lived and work in a historical city myself (Boston) I can appreciate your love for what Atlanta has to offer. I recall my 'few' visits can give Atlanta high remarks for it's warmth and hospitality. Of course your cooking wasn't too bad either!

Love Karl

7:34 AM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

I'm so glad you did this post! It really is nice to research and share the wealth of your hometown with everyone. I really enjoyed doing mine as well.

I have always loved Georgia, in general, and have visited many times. I have relatives who live there. Of course, I am a Southern Girl to the core, so you know I would.

12:05 PM  
Blogger ninetieschild said...

well u know wt they say ..if u care enough to write 34560000 words about a city, u must really love the place. lol. not taking the piss or anything but ive somehw nevr been able to actly love a place. n ive lived in a lot of places. i must be inhuman. sob.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

karl~
Hmmm.... I've had so many hometowns, haven't I? Luckily I've found something to love about each and every one of them. Speaking of visits to the city... when are you coming down again? We really need to plan another visit!

************

jen~
Thanks, sweetie! I didn't remember that you had relatives here... but you must come for a visit sometime if you are in the area.
I did the weirdest thing last year as my vacation, and just toured my town. There were so many things I'd seen, but many that I hadn't yet. And seeing that history is my favorite subject, it was an easy trip to take.

************

icy~
Thanks for stopping by! It's always nice to see a new face.

Yup, I guess I have always found that the place where I hang my hat at the end of the day is a place I have to love. And my city offers a lot of things to love as well.
I don't think you're inhumane, you just haven't found that special spot yet.
Come by anytime!

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes;

You have had many places to live and that is what makes a person who they are. DIVERSITY!! Anyway, I paid a visit to your home last so it looks like you are the one to venture north my dear sister.

In any event I should make it down your way as the boys are eager to see you and Chris and I have the time on my hands to do it. I don't ship out to sea until sometime in July or Aug. Looking at Bermuda this time but it's all up in the air thus far. Until then I am working 3 days a week on the in Boston. Sue and I go out on a cruise Friday night for our anniversary and then I work again on Saturday. I figured I would combine my college alumni cruise with my anniversary since I have already bought her the new car. I don't want to feel too cheap! Tell me I am wrong.

Let me know what looks good for you and I will see how he boys calender looks for the summer and maybe we can work something out. Or Sue and I can fly down for a weekend without the kids. I really want to see more of Atlanta now that you have sold me on it so much in your blog.

Love Karl

10:53 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Wow, the only thing that would have made that post perfect would have been some photo's of those places.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

10:56 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

karl~
RING/ RING... soon/ soon!

************

neo~
I actually did this post and stuck it into "save as draft" a while back. When I tried to put up more pictures with it (as I had plenty) it wouldn't take it. I'm still experiencing problems with spell-check.... so my relationship with blogger is so-so at best right now.
You did give me a wonderful idea for my next post though!
BTW~ when are you coming down this way?

12:19 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - You're welcome. I'm like a muse? LOL

I don't use blogger's spell check. I use microsoft word, and just copy/paste back and forth saving along the way. I've had trouble with blogger eating my site from time to time. It's like everything is still there but it disappears and comes back later. It's weird.

It normally happens when I update my story. BASTARDS!!!

Neo shakes his fist

As for stopping down there, the next time I have to go to Florida would be my best guess. I fly through Atlanta on the way I'll stop by and say hi. :)

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

6:51 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Yes, gorgeous city, but terrible traffic! :)

9:22 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

ej~
Oh my.... the mechanic ripped you off? How awful! I could imagine you'd never want to come back here;
although I hope you do, as lots has changed. I'm hoping to do a photo expose' as my next post... perhaps that could lure you back?

************

neo~
Well, yes, you are my muse! Let's face it, if it weren't for you, I'd never have this site in the first place, right?

I'd use word, except I still don't have any knowledge of that in order to do it correctly. I did find a book for "dummies" about blogging, and might pick that up to get some more hints to work with.

************

lee ann~
Spoken like a person who has been here many times and knows the roads...LOL! Yes, we do have some of the worst traffic in the world, and I have been run off the road more times than I can count. That's why my favorite routes are the backroads... and it's a good thing I know plenty of them.

We really must get together for coffe sometime when you are in town!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

You live in such a lovely, historical area. It makes me want to go back and visit again (except for the darned traffic!)

7:06 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

Beautiful post Ellen. Ya know I'm from Macon and if you ever get a chance you've got to tour the PL Hay House, I believe it's on Mulberry Street. The Indian Mounds makes a great place to picnic and that's where I grew up running barefoot thru the Indian Mounds. Love ya. :)

6:20 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

saur~
Yup, the traffice here is some of the worst on the planet at times (like in the mornings and afternoons, and lunchtime). But it is still a great adventure regardless, and we really must do margaritas sometime!

************

skyblue~

I know the mounds you are talking about, as I've been there to visit and tour. My hubby's grandmother used to live in Macon back in the 90's and we made several trips down to see her. She has since passed as she was already in her 90's then.

So you're from Macon? Cool! It must be time for a visit home, don't ya think?

4:59 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

yeah I've been thinking about it. :0

9:04 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - LOL, that's cute. Hey you added a photo. Cool!

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

11:44 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

skye~
Just think of how a nice trip to your "roots" would be! Of course, you'd want to wait till the autumn or spring, as we've already hit summer mode here.... already in the high 80's during the day.

************

neo~
I've had that picture up the whole time.... did it not show up on my post? I was going to add more, but blogger wouldn't accept them. I actually was going to make a "part deux" with just pictures, but it's taking me so long to post at all... as told in my new post from today.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - I don't remember that pict being there the first time I read it. Weird!

9:05 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~
I do have plenty more, and upon your wonderful suggestion will publish them someday. I wish I could find a way to move them around so that I could describe them... but will have to figure that one out.... and it will take time (something I have little of these days).

xo always!

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home