Friday, May 12, 2006













When God created Mothers.....
~ by Erma Bombeck

When the good Lord was creating mothers He was into His sixth day of "overtime" when the angel appeared and said. "You're doing a lot of fiddling around with this one."

And the Lord said, "Have you read the specs on this order? She has to be completely washable, but not plastic, have 180 moveable parts.... all replaceable, run on black coffee and leftovers, have a lap that disappears when she stands up, a kiss that can cure anything from a broken leg to a disappointed love affair, and six pairs of hands."

The angel shook her head slowely and said, "Six pairs of hands?.... no way."

"It's not the hands that are causing me problems," said the Lord, "It's the three pairs of eye that mothers have to have."

"That's on the standard model?" asked the angel.

The Lord nodded. "One pair that sees through closed doors when she asks, "What are you kids doing in there?" when she already knows. Another here in the back of her head that sees what she shouldn't but what she has to know, and, of course, the ones here in front that can look at a child when he goofs up and say, "I understand and I Love You" without so much as uttering a word."

"Lord," said the angel, tugging His sleeve gentrly, "Go to bed. Tomorrow....."

"I can't," said the Lord, "I'm so close to creating something so close to myself. Already I have one who heals herself when she is sick..... can feed a family of six on one pound of hamburger.... and can get a nine-year-old to stand under a shower."

The angel circled the model of a mother very slowly. "It's too soft," she sighed.

"But tough!" said the Lord excitedly. "You cannot imagine what this mother can do or endure."

"Can it think?"

"Not only think, but it can reason and compromise," said the Creator.

Finally, the angel bent over and ran her finger across the cheek. "There's a leak," she pronounced. "I told You. You were trying to put too much into this model."

"It's not a leak," said the Lord, "it's a tear."

"What's it for?"

"It's for joy, sadness, disappointment, pain, loneliness and pride."

"You are a genius," said the angel.

The Lord looked somber. "I didn't put it there."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This Sunday is a special day for me, and not because I am a mother, but because my son turns 20 on Mother's Day. It's his birthday as well.

I did it.... I got him past crawling, toilet training, and High School math. It wasn't always easy, but he didn't come with a training manual at birth. I've finally come to the point where my baby isn't a baby anymore as he leaves his teenage years behind. Oh, who am I kidding... he'll always be my baby even if he's 50 and I am 78. But now I get to see the adult in him come out, and it thrills me that he's at the beginning of a whole new adventure in front of him.

He asked me what I wanted for Mothers Day and I told him all I cared about was his undying love and affection..... oh, and flowers. I won't be the least surprised if he comes home with the prettiest bouquet from the pickings, and the nicest card. Happy Birthday, sweetie.... I love you with all my heart!

And a Happy Mothers Day to all who read here!

17 Comments:

Blogger X said...

Hasppy Mother's Day, Ellen! Hugs! :)

I hope you have a great weekend!

Happy bday to your son too!

12:55 PM  
Blogger X said...

The "s" in happy is silent :P

12:55 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Happy Mother's day and happy birthday to your son.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

K.~
Thanks! And I had a feeling that the "s" was silent. LOL!
Hope you have a great weekend!

************

lee ann~
Thanks! I'm looking forward to a nice quiet Mothers Day.
Hope you have a great weekend also!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Happy Mom's Day to you dear Ellen, I know you're workin it...
may the toes get up to rest a bit before your day is over!

Nice pre-mom's day post!

Thankz for the giggle, Oilf!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

N a special separate comment to wish
Happy Birthday, Chris!

10:03 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Oh that is beautiful. I have always loved Erma Bombeck. Thank you SO much for sharing something from one of the ultimate mothers.

Happy Mother's Day! ;o)

2:37 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

snaggle~
A very Happy Mothers Day to you as well... I hope you were able to catch a day of rest yourself!
Chris says thank you for the B-day wishes!

************

saur~
I've loved Erma Bombecks humor for as long as I can remember... it's only too bad she was taken so early. Hope your Mothers Day was full of fun and rest!

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Mum's day little sister;

You are very special and I know there is a special women we both know looking down on you and smiling! I hope your day was filled with love and happiness....as it should be.

I made it a point to encourage my youngster's to make the most out of the 'weekend' let alone the special day for their mom. It was indeed, a very special day too. aside from the flowers and the lobster dinner while the entire family gathered at my table, we christened the moment with a new puppy. Of course it's Joey's (cant believe he's 10) puppy, but Sue's as well. Its amazing what happiness can endure by bringing an innocent life into ones home. As you know Sue takes care of her mom who is suffering from alzheimer's and she lives with her during the week and visits on the weekends. So this weekend was very important to all of us. It took some effort but in the end it was all worth it. It should never have to be this way only once a year!

And Happy B-Day to Chris. I hope it was pleasant day for him...now that he is no longer a 'teen.'

I bought a small rose bush the other day and pruned what I figured were dead leaves. The flowers are bright red and very robust. On the side of a hill overlooking the mountains I planted the little shrub and carefully watered it hoping it will prosper for days to come. The large tree nearby will offer ample shade on those warm summer days too hot to venture outside, but I will ensure it will be looked after on my visits. I knelt down and said a few quiet words to myself and thought how lucky we are to be who we are, not without the effort of someone special in our lives. As I reached out and felt the etching of her name on my fingers I muttered a few simple words of praise...Happy Mothers Day Mom.

And to you too Ellen...

10:14 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

karl~
How sweet and thoughtful of you!
I thought of Mom many times during the day, and even Grandma. I called Auntie Saturday night and we had a lovely conversation that lasted over 2 hours. I realized that she is the only one left of the generation before us, and how time gets away from us so fast.

How fitting that you would plant a rose bush... it's the perfect (yet stubborn at times) bush, but leaves you with rewards of beautiful flowers when tended carefully. Sound familiar?

Also glad to see that you had a wonderful dinner with the family... and lobster no less! I am officially jealous of that, but then I did order shrimp as part of my meal. Chris wanted to do Chinese as his birthday dinner, and as it is tradition in our family to have whatever you want on your birthday, we were able to pig out without little effort on my part.

A Happy "belated" Mothers Day to Sue... and glad to see that you finally relented about the puppy situation. Good luck on the training!

6:42 AM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

Happy Mother's Day Ellen!! Hope you have a good one!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

I hope you had a fabulous "Mother's Day"!!!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

citysoul~
I hope YOU had a happy Mothers Day as well!

************

ej~
Glad to be of help to remind you, and I'm sure your Mom was glad you called. Where does she live in CT?

************

jen~
Thanks... I sure did!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Happy Mothers day!

And happy birthday to your son!

Neo leaves you some flowers

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

7:53 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~
Thank you for the lovely flowers... my favorite!

5:51 PM  
Blogger mckay said...

what a wonderful post. happy belated mother's day

:-)

mck.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

mckay~
I'm so sorry I didn't see your comment earlier... I'm just getting around to mopping up the remnants of the busy work I've left in the dust. Thank you for your kind words!

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home