Tuesday, May 23, 2006


















a.w.o.l.

Has it really been a week since I posted last? My, my, my, how time travels fast when you are having so much fun....

Actually it's been a hell of a week for me... hence the lack of posts on my part. It started with a bang of caterings that kept us so busy, I could barely keep them all apart for all the equipment that needed to be stored and packed. I am glad to be an organized person for the most part, as I make lists of everything. This becomes most helpful when it comes to knowing what I have, what need and, what I need to get. It has saved me many times ..... as long as I can remember where I leave the lists.

We were supposed to be fairly quiet, then it seemed that everyone remembered that they needed food, or their previous caterer was a.w.o.l. A few moments of letting their fingers do the walking, they arrived on the page of our ad, and decided to give us a try. What started as three caterings for the weekend turned into eight. Yup, it looked like I was going to be able to pay my bills early with the potential dough that was going to roll in; although much work had to go into all the planning in a very short amount of time, and I had to be up to the task. I was, and everything went off as well planned as it could possibly go.... with only a few snags here and there, nothing that anyone else knew about but myself.

Luckily it happened while I was on the last catering of the weekend, and had a staff of ten people helping serve 160 people table-side service.... rather than buffet-style service. It was upon their request that a buffet wasn't present, as they wanted their people to stay in their chairs, and have us wait on them. It did go off beautifully as it was supposed to, but by the end of the night I heard the familiar barking of my feet, and was overly anxious to get home after mopping their kitchen floor. Too tired to do that final walk-thru to see if we left anything behind, I hung the mop up and proceeded out the door to my vehicle. I was only 10 minutes away from home, and still in enough time to catch the season finale of Desperate Housewives. I put my truck into auto-drive ( a feature I highly recommend for every vehicle), and took a mind wandering jog over the nights events. Happy that I could pat myself on the back over such a fruitful job with lots of praise from the participants, I pulled into my driveway, ran into the house and threw off the shoes, pants and shirt to climb into shorts and a T-shirt. I immediately felt better, and the cool night air gave me a feeling of relief that the weekend was officially over; I could relax until 6 AM Monday morning where I started all over again with boxed lunches for 60 people.

It wasn't until 7 AM Monday morning when I was headed out of my house to the kitchen that I remembered I hadn't carried my "repair-kit" bag out of the event facility from the night before. In here I store all the little stuff I might need during the event, but don't want to walk out to my vehicle to get. This usually includes a comb, hair spray (for those loose strands that always seem to fall down in front of my eyes), toothpaste and brush, my keys and my cell phone. I tried calling my cell phone, hoping that it might have fallen out of my purse in the truck, but no, I had left it in the bag this time. I purposely leave my keys in the bag, because it is one way for me to remember my bag, but this time I had taken the keys out to go back to the truck to get something, and instead of returning them to the bag, I slipped them into my apron pocket. Big boo-boo on my part! Now the cell phone was a.w.o.l. Geez..... my bad, huh? Calling the facility the next day, I was able to get back in to find the bag. The only problem was that it wasn't where I had left it. A check to the lost and found revealed nothing, and a return trip to their kitchen to look in every corner finally met with success. I felt 20 pounds lighter in relief alone. I could have forfeited the bag and it contents, if it were not for the cell phone.

All this time, I was feeling funny.... and not the "ha-ha" kind, but funny in a weird way. I literally could feel my skin crawl with itching, my lips had taken on a new fullness, and I was lightheaded . Not prone to fainting or any of that silliness, I felt that perhaps I was a bit overtired, so I took a few hours in the afternoon off to take a much needed "real" nap. Yup, that's what it had to be.... I was overtired, and just needed some uniterrupted sleep to put me back on top of my game. I woke up many hours later (and thank goodness the phone was quiet all that time) only to feel that I wasn't in any better of shape. I was actually even more tired and itchier than before. The backs of my legs were rubbed raw, my right knee-cap and arm had welts, my lips had grown and were the size of being hit by a 99-mile an hour baseball, and my muscles were very sore. I still had no reason to base this affliction on, and being a trooper, I had a lot of laundry to do as well as work to catch up on. So on I plodded, not working very fast, but effectively getting done the mental list I had put together to end the day at 11:00 PM.

And then came this morning..... the itching was worse, the welts worse, but my lips had receded a bit. Oh well, nothing like a hot shower to wash it all away, huh? Well, sort of.
I felt like I had a bad sunburn and the shower did nothing to alleviate the itching, but actually made it worse. By the time I made it to my kitchen this morning, the welts were worse, the itching uncontrollable, and my lips were beginning to grow again. My partner noticed it right away. He went to his car and pulled out a bottle of benedryl and told me to take some, at least the itching would come under control. I asked him to read the back of the bottle as I was sure that this was going to make me drowsy (and I was too lazy to walk to my truck to get my glasses to read it myself). I could only imagine it would say something to the effect that once taking this product, one should never handle machinery, drive, or even attempt to think. "Oh no", he said, "Take it.... what's more important is that you stop itching." Remind me to not be so lazy next time and get those glasses, as I started to get drowsy.... real drowsy. I found reasons to do something, just to keep my mind going, because I could not think a coherent thought in my brain otherwise. Simple tasks proved to be stressful, and I was giddy as well. On the plus side, the itching did cease. I couldn't wait to get home again, as I really needed to lay down; that was the first order of business once I crossed the threshold of my home. All housework, yardwork and thinking would have to wait till I was in a better frame of mind.

So here I am at the end of a much needed nap, again, and not really feeling any better. The itching has receded a bit, the rawness to my legs is not as bad, but I am still lightheaded. Just writing this post has been a challenge in spelling and skill. I can't believe I've made as many errors as I have (you should have seen this before I re-read every part twice); even simple words were hard to spell in my head..... and since my spell-check is on permanent a.w.o.l. status, this has been quite an exercise in patience for me. Hmmmm..... good thing I'm still on those pills that Dr. Teddy prescribed. At least I don't feel like I need to take anybodys head off while I'm scratching away..... I'm actually in a good frame of mind for someone who is suffering a series of unfortunate events.

15 Comments:

Blogger Neo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Sure soundz like my allergy affliction to me, also!

Just irritants can cause non-allergic reactions as well. Like chemical fumes.

I also hate Benedryl, especially at the job, but it's saved me on many occasions. The discomfort is much worse without it! You better keep some (Dipenhyramine)on hand in case there are more emrgencies.

Try drinking caffenated tea to counteract the drowsies- after repeated doses the fatigue effect does lessen a bit, but the brain-fog is always a challenge!

Sorry to hear you need to worry about this now! At least you'll get some sleep in....
More prayers for ya from me-

2:00 AM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

PS. I'm allergic to all hair-spray... did you try a new kind?

2:02 AM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

I hope it's nothing like what I had!! Remember, a few weeks ago when I broke out in that unexplainable rash from head to toe? They never did find out what was wrong. I hope it gets better soon!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

ej~
It was a freak thing. It seemed to last in a spurt of 24 hours, as today everything is back to normal... including my energy level. It was just a weird fluke-thing.
Thanks for your kind words, sweetie!

************

neo~
I came here real early this morning to read, but didn't have time to comment. I think your idea of a bath is wonderful.... nothing like a good soak with bubbles to steam away the cares of the world for a moment.... take me away calgon!

************

snaggle~
I thought over the foods I ate, and anything I was exposed to during this time and could not come up with any reason for the itching. Everything I did was normal to what I always use or do...nothing out of the ordinary.
All I could think of that made any sense was (maybe) a spider bite???

The benedryl was a trip. That's my problem... I'm like an 8-year old when it comes to that stuff. It's snoozeland for me! Caffiene was a suggestion from my partner, but I can't have any caffiene drinks so I had to deal with the brain fog for a little while.

It's embarressing getting drunk on benedryl... but what me worry? At least I was giggly and feeling good.

************

jen~
After a majority of the brain-fog subsided, I actually remembered that this happened to you too. If it kept up on my end, I was going to ask you what your doctor prescribed. But I got luckier, as it passed by this morning. Only a little itching here and there, and nothing like Monday. My lips resumed their normal fullness and didn't look like I had a botox job on them anymore.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

Oh my, I'm glad I read futher and you seem to be alright now. You're post had me very worried. Take care of yourself . :) skye

8:26 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

skye~
Isn't it the weirdest thing? One day you're fine, the next... who knows. Just so glad this was a 24-hour thing.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I recall sometimes the food additive MSG causes lips to swell.
Well, I hope that one doesn't happen again to you any time soon!

Happy recovery!

12:48 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

snaggle~
It's funny you mentioned MSG, because we had chinese for dinner on Saturday night. It was the only other thing than the possible spider bite that made me think it might be the cause.
Thanks so much for the well wishes and prayers.... I swear you do have some pull with the higher powers that be, because your prayers always work on me!

5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen;

Terribly sorry to read about your 'short' illness. Thank God it was short! I think we all experience something comparable to what you had. Lets face it, although it's no fun, it reminds us just how delicate we really are. Take solace in the good times when are health and happiness are at it's peak.

I really believe that we as a society place too many expectations on ourselves and try to meet those expectations by pushing the envelope, whether it be work or play. Our body can only handle so much and as the sand lowers to the bottom of the hourglass with age, the 'shut down' switch seems to go off more often. This is why automobiles have odometers!

In any event you are well and that is the most important issue at hand. Be well and I will call this weekend.

Love Karl

7:43 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

karl~
Funny thing about my odometer... it keeps reversing itself.... but then that's probably my doing in the first place. Mom used to say I always took on too much, and I haven't changed much since high school in that regard.
I'll be catering another wedding this weekend on Saturday... and then crash on Sunday (sort of) with only the clean-up end of things to take care of. Charles wants to do a picnic somewhere, but I'd rather just grill out and sit on my porch to relax. Good grief... I am getting old if all I want to do is sit on my porch, huh?

Looking forward to hearing from you whenever you get a chance... I know you're busy too! Call on the cell, as I'm easier to reach that way.

And Eric~ if you're reading... Happy Memorial Day! I will try to call as soon as I get a moment!

1:38 PM  
Blogger wes said...

lol, 'auto-drive', never heard of it, but it kind of sounds like the car does the driving for you. :) But I doubt that is the case.

I usually find that stress gives me energy, like its a drug or something. Maybe that's why I procrastinate. The higher levels of stress give me the energy to accomplish what I need to do.

I hope your feeling better. :)

2:59 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

wes~
You've never heard of auto-drive?
Oh it's great.... my truck seems to know the way home all by itself when I'm too tired. It's a terrific feature!

All is well, and the welts have dissappeared as fast as they came. No more itching, and my lips have returned to normal. Amazing what one day will do, huh?

So glad to see you back in the comments... I've missed you and am glad that you had a wonderful time in Europe. I can't wait to see more pictures!

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK;

Maybe you didn't read between the lines and skipped right over what I was saying. SLOW DOWN LADY!! Mom was right. You are in the fast lane. Yes...I am aware of your commitments and I applaud you for that. Who wouldn't expect any more of someone who is a committed person? BUT...you must sit on your porch. Enjoy those moments and take in the solitude. Dear God women, don't play with that odometer. Remember my VW? Cheat and you loose.

I will be picking Sue up from her mom's house on Saturday morning and bringing her home for the weekend. Her response to me was.."great I can get some cleaning down." Wrong answer. I told her she is to do nothing but get in her convertible and go for a drive. Just her, me and the new puppy. The house will be clean and that is it! I will see to it.

Funny how our cottage at the Cape was intended to be just that. A 'get-away' to put your feet up and relax. Of course you and I know differently. It is not always that easy to put aside our responsibilities and enjoy what we have at our finger tips. But look at the alternative.

Enjoy your weekend. You have earned it twice over. I intend to enjoy mine because I have earned it too. And everyone reading this should as well. I have a rack of St. Louis ribs marinating in a special sauce I cooked up. I plan to slowly smoke them over wood I cut from and apple tree last year all the while sitting back with a cold Guinness and fat cigar. I hope it takes all afternoon.

You are a very good person Ellen and I am proud to call you sister. I always have and only wish you the very best. Treasure your weekend and have a wonderful Memorial Day.

Love Karl

11:54 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

karl~
Aside from the wedding I am committed to on Saturday, the clean-up from the wedding and hook-up for Chris' DSL line on Sunday, I plan to do just that.... RELAX.
(ya right!)

I've had to put off the DSL hook-up for Chris because I've been too busy with caterings, and the person doing it has been busy as well... our schedules are like two ships in the night! We need to get it done because his dial-up line won't accept the programs he needs for the college courses he is taking this summer, and we've been sharing my computer....oh this story is getting long, isn't it?
Anyhoo..... I don't plan to clean house, but I do need to cut the lawn (again) because it's snake season (and we all know how much I hate seeing them!). Somewhere in there I really do plan to relax. (ya sure!) Let's face it Karl, I really don't know how to relax, do I?

Of course I will be salivating over your St. Louis Ribs. You do have the best sauce, and all my in-laws loved the recipe when we did them for Chris' graduation last year. Eric did a great job on the grill, and they were a hit!

Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend... and enjoy your ride in the new sports car.... I am pea green with envy you have such a nice new toy, you deserve it!
Oh.... and happy belated anniversary. I almost forgot it was two days after Chris' birthday.

xo to all!

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home