Friday, June 09, 2006



addicted to blogger......

So you go a few days without connecting to blogger, and you feel cut off from the world... or at least the little world you built up here on the computer screen. You go in to read and comment, and poof!.... a big warning appears where the comment box should be. You've been dealt an expired page that issues instructions on how to refresh, or check your toolbar. This, all after a nice comment that may have taken some time to compose, now belongs to cyberspace.

So what is it that makes us come back all through the day to check on the status of blogsphere? Is it the fact that an inherent need for man to communicate with another is a strong desire, or a genuine care for a community that we have built up for ourselves? Perhaps it also includes a need for people to keep caught up on the daily news through a non-professional medium. But if you ask me, I find that a lot of people who use this format, are more worthy of a journalism degree than most of the news I can get through regular TV. What makes it more interesting is that we can meet people from all around the world we otherwise might never have met. That in itself has been the gravy on my mashed potatoes.

The vast varieties of blogs make it the most interesting to keep in touch because you can travel through and read anything from politics to pure rants, poetry to fiction, and personal daily material. Somehow we can get caught up in all of it, and take it more personally ourselves just for having to have gotten to know the authors. They have become friends, and in many cases, part family. How interesting and unusual this should come about, for if you really look at the bottom line, we have raised the status of "pen pal" to a new global height.

This was nothing that I was the least bit interested in last summer. Heck, I didn't even know blogs existed. I started reading my nephews blog on a daily basis for the humor and wit he can display so well. When he took a small hiatus, a reader of his started his own blog, and I jumped over there to read and comment. Signing in anonymously, the reader recognized me, and explained how I could become more involved by starting my own blog. Taking me completely under his wing, he set up my account and kept in touch with me through the whole process. What intrigued me the most, was that one of his commenters was a "neighbor" of mine from New England. I wanted so much to speak to her because I enjoyed her posts, and felt we had so much in common. It has turned out to be another great friend I would make in this world, because my gut feeling was right.

One thing led to another, and I was meeting new people scattered from Canada to New Zealand. This wouldn't have been possible on my own.... as I don't have the time to physically visit all these locations, but through the sharing of their stories and pictures I can take myself out of my office for a short visit to another part of the world without ever making a plane reservation. In short, I have become a voyager on a mind-expanding journey. I am addicted to the daily happenings of the people I meet here. I may not always be able to think of things to say and respond to after reading, and sometimes have to put it to the side to carry on with real life, but it is something I carry in my mind through the day. It is an addicting process, because the need for human touch is so precarious and precious; it's what keeps me coming back.

So lately, my posts and comments have been few and far between.... and it's not because I can't find anything interesting to read. I've experienced some problems with blogger.... but then haven't we all? And I decided I needed to take a short hiatus and get a few things done myself, as I started to fall horribly behind in my life. I still log on everyday to read... I can't bear to take that part of my day away from myself, but sometimes I just can't find the right words to express as a response. Nor can I find the right format for my daily rants. I've landed on "Writers Block" island with many ideas, just not enough cohesiveness to put it all together. But like any addiction, I can't tear myself away to completely abandon the project. Nor do I want to. Some addictions are good for you, and this is one of them.

Many thanks to all of you who come to read here, and life will return to normal on my little part of the screen soon. After all, you are the best addiction I've had yet!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You better stay addicted to blogging! I love coming here to see what you have to say no matter what the topic, you engage your reader right from the start.

I totally understand and relate to what you said here - my blog friends are often nicer to me and more supportive than my own family!

I switched from Blogger to Typepad because my Blogger problems went beyond the norm and I also had to hide my private life from someone.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

You are most welcome, n thanks for becoming part of my addiction as well-
I also can't think of a life now without the blogland of sharing I found here. It is tough for most working folks to keep up a furious posting n commenting pace, n ya gotta roll with the available time n the time-outs, but there's always a link or "next blog" button when you're faced with no new posts to read!

Then there's the dashboard list on the bottom of "recently updated" n that is how I found some bloggers (as commenters) you're talkin about, n then you (thru theirs or "blog-hopping")- at a orphaned blog at http://theclumsyclimber.blogspot.com/
without which random click I never would've met you at all!
It is a small world, here in blogland. I'm addicted to bloggin, n I don't wanna recover-

7:08 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

barbara~
What a very kind thing to say! And yes, I have no chance of recovery in the blogsphere. I almost can't imagine my life without it at this point, because I feel so connected.

I did go over to your new page, and will get right on fixing my links so that I won't have to go through a back door to get over to you. Best of luck with your "new" blog!

************

snaggle~
You are most welcome... and I hope you recognized yourself in my post. I have been fortunate to have formed a great friendship with you that goes beyond blogging, and can't wait for the day we can sit down and have a cup of tea together... or Pina... doesn't really matter which, sweetie!

Most times I find myself going through links off my links to read, and find some of the most fascinating reads out there. I'm grateful to you for commenting on JBI, as that's where I found you.

9:35 PM  
Blogger awareness said...

I couldn't have written it any better! Blogging is also my most recent addiction and the healthiest by far. It seems like you and I joined the blogging race, or at least learned about it at the same time. Since then, it has seriously become part of my daily routine. However, like you I'm struggling with my attempts to write a complete post lately, and in fact just finished writing about that. Do you think it's just the time of year...so many other tasks pulling at our attention? I think thats part of it.

I have snuck onto your site on and off since I was "introduced" to your secret garden (love the title) through Mr. Althouse's blogland and have enjoyed reading your insights and perspective from your vantage point. I'll continue to be an active participant.

Thank you for your comments on my piece on that scary blonde chick whom I'm not going to name because she's too mean! :o)

Writer's block.........it will pass.

Enjoy your day.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

ej~
One of the pleasures of this medium has been the ultimate support it offers. If only the world of terrorists and thugs could become connected as we all have, we'd probably be closer in our quest for world peace. Well, that's a far stretch to be sure, but it's nice to see that people can actually get along and appreciate different opinions and styles comings from all walks of life. Of course, there are the "bad boys" out there... but then I usually don't give them the time of day anymore. Rude is rude, and not worth my words most days.

************

awareness~
As I travel around to my favorites, I find this a common theme. Perhaps it is the impending vacations of summer that distract us from the usual daily happenings of life. Who knows?
It's like anything else, we need time out, a great escape, and a renewed freshness to gather materiel to jog the brain with ideas. After all, everyone wants to say something worth reading and receiving comments about... but every once in awhile, the well runs dry. All I know is that it's time for a good rain... and it shall happen, but not if I force myself.

I was completely entranced with your post about that "nameless blonde".... it really got the juices going for me, and if you don't mind, I'd like to expand on that subject here at the garden. More people need to be aware of the evils in our world that are packaged in leggy attire, and call themselves patriots.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and I've enjoyed reading your blog so much, that I added you to my links so everybody can see your work. It's brilliant!
Feel free to drop in anytime!

8:50 AM  
Blogger awareness said...

Thank you! You've made my day.

As much as I do try to write on topics that interest me and not try to write for an audience per se, I am thrilled to have a chance to have a wider viewing. Most of my "readers" are non-bloggers (poor things!) and they have been very supportive. I'm happy to be linked more readily to blogland!

Yes......indeed do spread the word on that blondie right winger....maybe she's really Harry Potter's Voldemort (he who shall not be named) in disguise.......either/or they are both evil! heehee.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I hate when that happends. Stupid blogger it doesn't care how long you spend typing something up. : (

8:21 PM  
Blogger X said...

Aren't we all a little part voyagers....and part voyeurs? (well, non-sexual voyeurs, unless tahts what some people out tere use blogging for!)

It's great to meet new people...and yup, I went through withdrawal as well this week because of blogger issues. I lost many-a-comment, and counldn't log on to post when I had the time.

Ah vell, c'est la blogger vie!

Here's to many more days of reading about other people's lives! :)

10:24 PM  
Blogger wes said...

Hi my name is wes, and I am a blogoholic :)

Even when I go out of town for the weekend with no internet access, those 2 days are just complete hell. I'm wondering what other people are saying, I'm wondering what people are saying about my ramblings.

I am still blown away by what blogging has done for me. Aside from giving me a space to call my own to ramble on about anything I want, I have also had the great fortune of meeting people through my blog, and these have led to great friendships.

I never dreamed that when I started I would be meeting people and making new friends. Its all kind of crazy if you ask me. :)

4:25 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

It is a solid addiction. I see no reason why it would need to be cut out completely.

Scott

11:18 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

awareness~
You are more than welcome!

************

myutopia~
Boy don't I know it! I spent the better part of yesterday morning typing up a post, only to have blogger eat it all up on my "save as draft" button. I always make it a point to try and save first, but it got eaten anyway. AARRGG!!

************

K.~
Yup, we are part voyeur deep down, no doubt. It's always pretty cool to travel along the blogsphere to see how other people are doing... and meeting new friends is a great benefit.
I do keep a lot of personal stuff out of my posts... you never know!

************

HI wes~
Yup, we do live in a crazy sort of existance. What's really nice for me is that people from all ages, nationalities, etc. get along so well... and seem to make a difference here in cyberspace. If only that theory could work in real life sometimes, huh?

************

scott~
Very well said! And no, there is no reason to cut it out altogether. I find that when blogger has it's issues, it's always the time when I do have something to say... but when I am on writers block island, it's working fine.
I'm hoping blogger works without issues today, because I've want to finish my post and get it up... and not have it eaten for the second time.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Lyrically speaking said...

I've been addicted going on one month and I'm loving it. I enjoyed reading your post and meeting other fellow bloggers who are also endulging in their blogs.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

dela~
And we are so happy that you have joined us in this community! It is filled with loads of talented people such as yourself, and a support system of great friendships.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home