Friday, January 12, 2007


joni, no baloney......

Do you ever have one of those days when you wake up with a song in your head? This was mine the other morning:

The Circle Game

Yesterday a child came out to wonder
Caught a dragonfly inside a jar
Fearful when the sky was full of thunder
And tearful at the falling of a star
Then the child moved ten times round the seasons
Skated over ten clear frozen streams
Words like, when you're older, must appease him
And promises of someday make his dreams
And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of time
We can't return, we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game

Sixteen springs and sixteen summer gone now
Cartwheels turn to car wheels thru the town
And they tell him,
Take your time, it won't be long now
Till you drag your feet to slow the circles down
And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of time
We can't return, we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game

So the years spin by and now the boy is twenty
Though his dreams have lost some grandeur coming true
There'll be new dreams, maybe better dreams and plenty
Before the last revolving year is through
And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of time
We can't return, we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game

~~lyrics and music by Joni Mitchell


11 Comments:

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Hey! Joni Mitchell....I had almost forgotten about her!!!
Hope you have a great weekend sweetie!
~xo

11:47 AM  
Blogger Skye said...

Funny how a song will stick in your head. :)

3:42 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

lee ann~
Hey, sweetie.... hope you had a great one too! Don't you just love our weather lately?

************

skye~
What better song than this one, huh? Hope you had a warmer weekend, it was like Spring here.

7:37 PM  
Blogger awareness said...

Hi Ellen.........this is a song that often joins me!! It was the song that inspired me when I was writing a piece for the chapel I spoke at during my camp reunion. IN fact, I tried my best to incorporate it.......the whole mirage of circles was what the theme ended up being.

It's a beautiful song. Funny, I was never a Joni Mitchell fan when I was growing up (didn't like Springsteen either then) but NOW? Now.......I love her music and her beautiful and sometimes haunting lyrics.

Take care.............xo

8:36 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I get tunes stuck all the time...

haven't heard Joni M since my big sis was wearing out the vinyl LP on a turn-table back in the 70's, but will always remember her voice n style... Will get a CD someday I hope...

I watched LOR again so have 2 very sad songs playing on my head "You can never go home" n "Distant Shadow" -

Can't sing at all today- lost my voice! That's what I get for working sick-

Monday already, n I'm still not better-

4:19 AM  
Blogger Milk Brain said...

it could be worse. you could be a mother of a young child and get songs songs stuck in your head performed by suck people, as the Wiggles, Barney, or more often than not... the tv show theme songs to said shows...

10:07 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Just about every day. Then again, the jukebox in my head never turns off. I'm running out of good tunes though. :(

12:05 PM  
Blogger X said...

LOL, I always have songs stuck in my head! I hum a lot at work, and now that everyone has accepted my craziness, it's all good :)

1:11 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

awareness~
Joni has always been one of my favorites, and I remember the first time I heard Circle Game. I fell in love with it. It says so much, doesn't it? I still haven't been able to get it out of my head since last week! I need a new song! Got any suggestions?


************

snaggle~
So your sister wore out the album, huh? She sounds like me, as I had a habit of doing the same thing. Seems so funny to talk about albums when they are such a thing of the past... makes me feel real old, and I'm only 49!

Sorry to hear about your voice. No fun wanting to be able to sing out loud, and not have the voice to do it with. I hope you will be feeling well soon, and that the tea I sent works some magic for you.

The coming arctic blast from the west is about to overcome the 70 degree weather we have here. I'm saying goodbye to all the buds and daffodills that were silly enough to be tricked into blooming early, and hoping I get another year without a cold.

Take care, and get rest when you can!

************

mb~
LOL! Boy do I remember those days. Luckily my son wasn't a fan of Barney, but we did wear out the Sesame Street tapes. We had one for counting, and Chris played it over and over again, because he liked the number 4. Whenever it came on, he'd giggle and giggle. Ah, yes, I remember my mental midget days very well!

************

neo~
Doesn't surprise me at all that you'd have tunes playing non-stop... I figure it comes with the territory (as with Snaggle) of being a musician. I know what you mean about needing a new song though!

************

K.~
LOL! You crazy? No way! You're just a fun-loving hummerer.... is that a word?.

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Joni!

I have been so behind on my blog reading. I have missed yours and hope to get all caught up soon!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

barbara~
Yup, Joni's still one of my favorites. And don't worry about not stopping over.... I haven't been around due to life's many calls of duty. Stop by whenever you can... I'm always glad to hear from you!

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home