Tuesday, October 31, 2006

a ghost story.....

A long time ago when I was still a teenager, I took a job of babysitting houses for people who had business out of town. Since we lived in a little cow pasture of a town anyway, everybody knew everybody else... and their cousin, and their cousin's cousin. Well, you get the picture. One house in particular was a pass-down job to me from a friend who used to sit there on occasion. Many times she would call me up and ask me to stay over with her, as it frightened her to stay alone. I guess I couldn't blame her, as the house was actually named: The Grey Ghost Manor. I was too young (only 19) to really think there was anything behind it... only a name of an older home set back on a country road. That is until one time when I stayed there alone.

Upon returning to the house at dusk, after work and grocery shopping a few items for dinner, I parked in the detached garage of the house and started to walk up the short path to the back door. Looking up to the second floor I noticed a light on in the window of a corner room. Strange, I thought, I didn't even go into that room. How could a light be on? Was somebody in the house? Since there were no other cars around, I deduced that I was alone. Or maybe I was just naive enough not to think it all through before I entered the house. No ghost met me at the door, or on the stairs leading up to the second floor. I made my way around to the corner bedroom, saw the light, and shut it off. Whatever turned it on was a mystery to me, and to this day, remains a mystery. But it all didn't end there. I would find things misplaced or moved, and always had a shiver up the back of my spine whenever I traveled into the livingroom. The kitchen stayed warm and friendly, but the livingroom was a complete contrast. There were creaky noises, but my rational mind told me that the house was settling... a lot! After all, it was built in the 1800's.

My last night there gave me the biggest scare of all. I never did actually see a ghost, but I felt it's presence around me somehow. It's not anything I can explain fully, but the goosebumps on my arms convinced me that I could no longer stay here. Perhaps the house missed it's owners and was trying to find a way for me to leave and never come back? I would find out later that my friend had the same experience as well. She would never return, and I told the owners I couldn't either. We never saw anything.... we only felt it, whatever IT was. I'm sure the owners thought us to be silly girls who scared too easily. Regardless, I find it difficult to feel comfortable in a home when I know there are ghosts involved, even if it is in name only.

My brother Karl had a house in Massachusetts that was rumored to have ghosts as well. I didn't know this at the time of accepting his invitation to stay overnight years later when my son was still young. My brother Eric told me about it on the trip up to Karl's, and for the rest of the evening I was too nervous to sleep. Cuddled up with my son on the couch in the livingroom, I left the TV on for noise, glancing up at the stairs that led to the second floor.... looking for any sighting of a ghost coming down. I never did see one, thankfully.

If I want to see a ghost, I'll be patient enough to wait for Halloween to be properly frightened by the kids in the neighborhood and their costumes. Thank goodness for the big bags of candy I purchased, as I'll get quite a few customers tonight.

Happy Halloween!

13 Comments:

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Wow....

HAPPY HALLOWEEN.....
LOVE YA,
LEE ANN

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wooooooooooooooo wooooooooooo (ghost noises). I have read a few posts today about haunted houses and I have no doubt that spirits do lurk behind sometimes! Hope you have fun handing out treats to the little tricksters!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Hope your Halloween was fun n haunted by the living!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Creapy!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

Boo! :)

1:29 PM  
Blogger Milk Brain said...

i hope you had a good halloween! ours was a dud once again. evan fell asleep before we could go out trick or treating.. our nephew on the cape had a blast though!

6:21 PM  
Blogger wes said...

I have never seens a ghost either, but I think they are out there. Every one in awhile, I well catch something out of the corner of my eye. And sometimes I find things in different places when I know no one else could have done it. That stuff creeps me out. :)

Hope you had a good Halloween. :)

6:21 PM  
Blogger john said...

i don't mind seeing a ghost now . when i was a young boy , just the thought of it makes me shriver . i guess , ghost only scares young people !

11:26 PM  
Blogger X said...

I don't know if I believe in ghosts....but I know those creepy feelings....

Hope you had a great Halloween :)

12:55 PM  
Blogger awareness said...

Hi Ellen..........

Methinks you are one busy catering queen!

Hope all is well and manageable on your end......!!

Take care.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

everyone~

So sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Yes, I have been one busy catering Queen this past week, and that makes for some great job security... but it also makes for one very tired girl.

I still have many more tasks to take care of at home, that I can't seem to get around to.... like the poor plants on the porch. It's been easier to lay a sheet over them, then to take them one by one to be cleaned up before they find a home inside for the winter.

It's time to post again... no more excuses!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Hi hon! Sorry I missed this post till now. Funny how you can sometimes "feel" things that can't be quantified!

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen;

Great post!

And thanks for reminding me about my former home and those lovely guests I had residing there on a perminant basis. But as Gramma once said..."they are friendly so no worry"

One particuler night when we returned there for the weekend just prior to the sale, Andrew (oldest son) brought his girlfreind along. Everyone turned in for the night and all was quiet. We let Jenny take our former bedroom, just to show our kindness and appreciation toward our guest. The next morning went on uneventful until Jenny asked why I had come into her room 'last night'. In a look of asstonishment I assured her that nobody was in her room during the evening except her. Now she was hell-bent that 'someone' was in the room and standing over the bed looking at her. (Call the Priest)

Somehow the former owner was not going to allow us to depart without a final showing. But hey...they are freindly. Subsequently Andrew and Jenny are no longer an item and we no longer reside at the Messner's Horror Relm.

I personally never experienced a paranormal event while living there. At least not visually. at times I would 'hear' footsteps up or down the stairs and of course the usuall ramblings going on in the kitchen at 2 am. However I never had pots and pans flung to my head or pulled down the bathroom drain. And as for the funny noises ghosts are supposed to make...nothing doing! No hollywood script here.

Hey it was fun though. Agian great Post. Keep up the good work.

Kudos

love Karl

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home