Wednesday, September 13, 2006












my pretty city........

Welcome to Atlanta.... or as we would say: hey, y'all!

I've posted about Atlanta a few times in the past, but never accompanied them with nice pictures. Thank goodness google was able to step in and take over for me.

Since I'm not good with being able to move pictures around to where I'd like them to be in my posts... heck, I'm just lucky to just get them up here, I will try to explain them as best I can, and hope they hold their place when the real posting occurs.


The five people in the black and white photo goes all the way back to 1939, when the cast, author and producer of the movie, "Gone With The Wind" premiered in Atlanta at Loews Grand Theatre. The movie would go on to win eight academy awards, including best actress, best supporting actress, and best picture. Sadly, the author, Margaret Mitchell would die in a freak car accident ten years later, while trying to help her frail husband out of their car. She would step into traffic, and was hit by a drunk driver, dying five days later at Grady Hospital.
From left to right: Vivian Leigh, Clark Gable, Margaret Mitchell, David O. Selznick, and Olivia deHavilland. Best supporting actress, Hattie McDaniel, not pictured, would be the first woman of color to win an academy award, and the movie still holds the record for highest ticket sales (adjusted for inflation, of course).

The carving of the three gentleman riding, is Atlanta's Stone Mountain, the largest piece of exposed granite, and one of the largest monoliths in the world. It falls behind Mt. Augustus in Australia, and Haystack Rock in Oregon. Starting 300 million years ago, this massive stone is only one-third uncovered today. It is surrounded by forests, a man-made lake, and a small town named Stone Mountain. So, technically, it isn't within the city limits, but Atlanta has a habit of adopting in anything within it's reach, and Stone Mountain qualifies. It has been said that the second wave of the KKK was rooted on top of the mountain back in 1915, when men climbed to the top and burned a cross that could be seen from Atlanta, and it would be with funds raised by these men that the carving would come to fruition on the face of the mountain. Klansmen frequently held meetngs here, until the speech by Reverand King in 1964, when slowly the tides changed and the klansmen eventually were no longer welcomed in the area. Conceived in 1909, replicas of Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, and Jefferson Davis were finally completed in 1972..... after many years of starting, finishing, and redoing the carving itself many times over. Today, the mountain and surrounding area is all park land, with attractions that could occupy your time for the whole weekend. Between the anti-bellum house (complete with slave cabins), the skylift to the top, the grist mill, covered bridge, and paddle-wheel showboat that crosses the lake, there is also a welcome center that shows history of the area, an "old town" of gift shops, and a ride on SMARTA, the train that circles the base of the mountain. It is also the largest picnic area in the state.... probably the world. All this is set in the splendor of the forest, not dimmed by any cheesy amusement rides, or boardwalks. You even have the option of climbing the mountain from the backside, where during your crawl up the 1.1 miles to the top, you will see etchings on the granite ground of people who have tread there back in 1898. If you aren't too queasy to make the trip down by yourself, the skylift is a cool ride. Runners and bicyclists are a constant companion of the trails and roadways, and for those who prefer to sit and gaze, there is always the carving, which is used as a backdrop for laser shows at night. Can you see why Atlanta has adopted it?

The Fabulous Fox Theatre is a landmark that will always stand in the city amongst all of it's tall buildings. Built in the 1920's, and of Moorish design, the theatre is a bit dwarfed, but magnificent and spectacular in it's own way on opening night. I have been several times, and still wonder at it's beauty every time I walk through the front doors. The last time I went there was for my birthday to see the play, "Annie". A few girls and myself got gussied up for the evening, ate dinner across the street, and walked the few steps over to make sure we didn't miss our seats in the nose-bleed section. As I watched the show, I couldn't help but wander my eyes up to the ceiling (not too far away, mind you). It's a thing you do everytime you're inside, because the ceiling has twinkling stars, behind a projection of moving clouds, and you get the feeling you are watching the show underneath a calm and beautiful night sky. In 1974, the Fox was headed for the demolition ball, as Southern Bell wished to build their new headquarters on the site. It was saved by celebrities and concerned local citizens, and eventually added to the National Historic Landmark register. Since that time, the theatre and building in total has undergone a complete restoration to bring it back to it's former glory of it's Egyptian Ballrooms, and the Arabian courtyard stage of the 1920's.

The picture of the mansion with the colorful flowers in front is actually named The Swan House, located next door to the History Center Museum in Buckhead (a neighborhood north of the city hustle and bustle.) It never fails to bring someone from out of town there in the Spring, as all the flowers are in bloom, and you feel like you might have stepped back in time. It doesn't hurt living in the area either, as it is "old" money, and the residents mansions reflect as such. Not a blade of grass is out of sync, and your neighbor is the Govenor of the State. You should see his lawn!

Then we have Underground, which is located in the heart of Atlanta. After Sherman came through and bow-tied the railroad tracks, laying the city to complete devastation, the city fathers decided to build the new Atlanta over what was left as rubble, and destroyed store fronts. During the 1970's, builders who revived Boston's Fanueil Hall, came to Atlanta and rebuilt the underground area of the city into shops and restaurants. While it was popular for a short time, it gradually lost it's appeal, and became home to rats, homeless, and wind-blown garbage. In the 1990's, another team came in and revived it once again. Although it was a hot spot for a few years, many of those shops have come and gone, and Underground does not have the same amount of tourists it once did. However, it is still hanging on, and it is where we drop the "peach" on New Years Eve.

I haven't even scratched the surface, as Atlanta has many more places of note that attract many tourists. The Martin Luther King Memorial and eternal flame is located just a few blocks from the Capitol Building on Auburn Avenue. Back in the 1920's, Auburn Ave was the city's own Harlem of it's time. Music and the smells of great food permeated the air, while Ebenezer Church would launch it's most prolific preacher. Today, the neighborhood is only a shadow of it's former self, as it has been quite run down due to the mishandling of it's funds by the King off-spring. As much as they want the city to take over the grooming of the park area, they still want complete say in the handling of the funds (which have been proven to be mis-appropriated), and do not want the parks department to do any more than all the work.
By complete contrast, the Jimmy Carter Library is completely handled by the Parks and Recreation Department (and government funds) , and you will see beautiful lawns and gardens well taken care of, and the wonderful historical papers of our only President from the state of Georgia.

I have been to all of these sites, and many more, as I wanted to know everything I could about this city..... how it breathed, and what stood where before it was reduced to rubble. In my journeys, I have come to see Atlanta as a city that doesn't know how to stop. Just take a gander at it's traffic problems, and you would want to head to the hills to live. Which is precisely what has happened, as the city now has engulfed the surrounding towns, heading forever outward in acquiring landscape. They may be named an entirely different name than Atlanta, but they still are considered part of the metro area. That's alright by the citizens though, as we are a proud bunch anyway. We have wonderful Universities, sports teams, and eateries..... not to mention the largest aquarium in the world (except the actual ocean itself). We don't stop, and we can't be pushed aside, we are Olympians in our quest to constantly build past our boundaries, and it shows through the many trees and parks that are still left.

So.... if you ever make it to my pretty city, make sure to look me up. You'll be invited in for a tall glass of very sweet iced tea, and many rich stories of a city that knows what it is to grow past the rubble it started with during Reconstruction. There is no doubt that the best seasons are Spring and Fall.... and better yet, you don't even need to bring a coat. Atlanta is just that nice during those fair seasons.

17 Comments:

Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Pretty picts, and good info to go with them. I'll get back down there one of these days. Have that iced tea waiting. ;)

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

9:26 PM  
Blogger awareness said...

Atlanta does have such a expansive history. It is an intriguing place. It's been a long time since I visited. I had a high school friend who moved up to Ontario during adolescence with her family and then moved back there upon graduating. We've lost touch now. We also used to drive straight through to north of Atlanta from Toronto when I was young, on our way to Florida for March Break. We always looked so funny because we would arrive after what seemed like eternity in the car still wearing our winter clothes...and it would be blossoming and mild outside.

What pulled you to Atlanta Ellen from New England? Did it take you a while to adjust, or did you find that you fit in to your adopted home right away? I ask because I found a huge difference in culture and pace and perspective when I moved from Ontario to the Maritimes, but I also felt very much at home here.

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to visit Atlanta! It looks like a beautiful city. Thanks for sharing it with us.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Love it! Beautiful city.
My brother lives in Buckhead, very pretty there.
Looks like a large scale of Birmingham.
Great photos Ellen.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I'm surprized you got so many pics in there!
Thankyou for the informative, walking E-tour. (I knew that was Clark Gable)! Fox Theatre sounds like a great place for a show, n the sculptured granite mountain picnic area pretty unusual!

Must be a great place to visit. Hope I get there sometime.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~
Ice tea for you...no beer?
Believe it or not, some counties around the city are still "dry", which seems somewhat archaic in 2006. Of course that doesn't mean that package stores aren't smart enough to place their businesses right on the county line. I'm sure they make a killing. We still have the "no Sunday" rule though. You can go out to a bar,get rip- roaring drunk, and drive home, but forget about trying to buy anything on a Sunday to bring home. Your cut off time is 11:30 on Saturday night if you want your beer for Sundays games.
We are a little behind the rest of the nation in some areas. Not sure if that's good or bad....

Anyhoo~ if it's ice tea you want, I'll have it waiting!
************

awareness~
There isn't a road in the city that doesn't have some sort of marker or reminder of whatever battle was fought on that ground during the seige.... and most all of the neighborhoods have one if not several parks. I came to love this about Atlanta.

I moved to this city when I had had enough of the snow and cold of New England.... and I was tired of dealing with a rotten, cheating, lying, skunk of a boyfriend. I needed to put as much space between me and him. I also had a friend who had moved down here just a few months before, so I called her up and told her to make space for her walking buddy, I was coming down. It was culture shock at first, and I had to re-learn new lingo, as well as some manners I wasn't even aware of. Plus I had to re-learn talking in general.... the South has a way of speaking somewhat slower, and with more syllables, so it took a while for me to understand them, and them me. At first I thought I had made a mistake, then Spring hit, and I knew I was home.

************

barbara~
I have always wanted to visit the West Coast, as I have never been further west than Dallas, Texas. How nice it would be to drive on coastal roads that overlook the ocean from high bluffs. We don't have that on the East Coast, or in the Gulf.

************

lee ann~
I remember you telling me that your brother lived in Buckhead, lucky guy! It is the best piece of real estate the city has to offer collectively. It still maintains some old time charm, while the hotels, mall and new buildings spring up all around it. You don't have to go too far past the buildings, and you are right back in the country and forests again.... although that is slowly changing too. I remember a time when the biggest building was the mall itself, then they brought in the Ritz Carlton... and new buildings never stopped getting taller from there. It is directly in line to the heartbeat of downtown.... if you can stand the traffic going that way. I lived for awhile in Buckhead back in the 80's, and loved it. Then best son in the world was born, and it was time to go up to the suburbs of the north.... off 400.

************

snaggle~

Can you imagine anyone other than Clark Gable to play the part of Rhett Butler? It was said that Margaret Mitchell thought of Gable as Rhett when writing her book, but I did find a factoid that disagreed with that, saying she wanted Groucho Marx to play the part when the movie rights were bought. I'm not sure which one is really right.

I will have to put some nicer pictures of Stone Mountain up than the carving I did, as it is beautiful land. I loved it from the first picnic I took there, and had planned to get married at a scenic area in front of the Grist Mill. No one told me the Scottish-Highland games were playing there that weekend, and the place was all booked up. Even though I had tried to reserve the area, and they said it wasn't necessary months before, I had to scramble in the last two weeks to find another place.
Someday, you will have to come down for a visit... you already know you have a place to stay!

10:49 AM  
Blogger john said...

what a beautiful and historic place Hotlanta is .I planned to watch the Olympics then but this plan was derailed .
Someday , I will go see Atlanta . The granite sculpture and the Fox theather interest me .This time I'll make sure nuthin' will squash the trip .

11:27 AM  
Blogger Skye said...

Oh, you got me humming "Georgia" and a lot of teary-eyes. May I please have some catfish and hush-puppies to go with that Iced tea? :)

2:11 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

john~
I had planned to go down to the Olympics, but on the only day I had off, it was shut down due to the bombing the night before. We still have Centennial Park where the bricks on the ground were purchased by local citizens and engraved with their names, and right across the street is our aquarium. That IS pretty cool!

************

skye~
Spoken like a true southerner. Catfish and hush puppies... LOL!
Yes, indeedy, my friend, we have plenty of those, and hubby is a big fan of them. As for me, I still haven't acquired a taste for fried fish... but love fried chicken.

10:05 PM  
Blogger mckay said...

ellen, i've never been to atlanta, but you sure made me feel like a welcomed visitor! thanks for the city tour.

i know i'd love it if i could visit. maybe someday !!!

1:00 AM  
Blogger wes said...

Thanks for the tour, I feel like I just visited Atlanta. If I am ever in Atlanta, just point me in the direction of the race track, after a glass of iced tea of course. :)

1:58 PM  
Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

I think I commented on your last "Atlanta" post, so if I repeat myself, forgive me.

I have traveled to a great many metropolitan areas in one of my many former lives. Atlanta was and is one of my favorites. I've been to Boston; Dallas; Denver; Austin; Minneapolis; Chicago; San Diego; LA; Phoenix; Albuquerque, Orlando; SF; Reno; Vegas; Portland, OR; Seattle; St. Louis, New Orleans ; Honolulu; and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Atlanta was one of the most memorable.

Although I saw a few sights and marveled at the beauty and history of the city, what struck me most was how friendly everyone was. It is a rarity and not a quality I could attribute to many of the afore mentioned cities. And I would like to add, from a purely male perspective, the girls are simply beautiful! I can here the Beach Boys now:

And the southern girls with the way they talk,
They knock me out when I’m down there.


I didn’t know about that hunk’O’granite y’all have down there. And I didn’t know about that carving either. Not especially noteworthy except that I’m directly descended from Jefferson Davis. He’s my great grandmother’s mother’s (or grandmother’s… I’ll have to ask my mom) brother. That’s either four, five or six (again, I’ll have to get that nailed down) greats uncle. My only claim to fame, as far as I know.

Great post,

Mike

4:56 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

mckay~
I do believe you would fall in love with the city... as long as you didn't have to drive it, mind you. The traffic is terrible, and most people drive fast.... but once you get off the highways, the scenery is georgeous, and we have some of the best kept secrets when it comes to cuisine.

************

wes~
Ah yes, the race track... I did forget about that didn't I? That is located south of the busy-ness of the city... and a real traffic jam on race days. You can imagine how many Nascar fans we get.
A tornado came through last year and tore down a few of the stands, and did some real damage to the track, but they were able to get it all back together in time for the race (I think). I do remember seeing the damage through pictures. What a terrible mess!

************

mike~
Wow, you've really done some traveling! How nice to see slices of American life through the sights you must have taken in.
And next time you go to Honolulu, I want to sneak into your luggage. I've never been to Hawaii, but consider it paradise from all the pictures I've seen (and watching Magnum PI, of course... LOL!)

As for that piece of granite we adore here, I now will look at it with newer eyes myself. It's just too cool conversing with a direct descendant of Jefferson Davis.

By the way, your next claim to fame will be the Pulitzer Prize you pick up in the future with your great literary pieces, and I will be able to say I knew you when....

2:12 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Wow! very informative. I never thought the cast of GWTW would have gone there for a premier. I didn't realize Atlanta was big enough back then to host such a gala!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Hope you have a great week Ellen!
~xo

8:59 PM  
Blogger X said...

Atlanta looks like a great place to visit! I hear you guys have great shopping ;)

12:38 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Saur~
Yup, even though the city was small, it was a huge event here. I've seen some of the pictures, and even asked hubby where Loews Theatre was, but he (being a livelong native) laughed and said they took it down years ago. (His father remembers the premier though.) The city never stopped building and growing after that.

************

lee ann~
You too, sweetie!

************

K.~
Oh, I know you'd love it here. We have something called "The Great Mall Wall". Malls and shopping has been raised to a fine art by the bored, rich women of Atlanta, and just about every store in the known free world is represented here.... and in some cases multiple franchises of them. One could never get too bored with the amount of stores and malls we have to offer. Not sure if that's good or bad.... but it sure is a lot of fun to go window shopping regardless.

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home