Sunday, August 27, 2006


life in the fast lane.....

Words to the wise.... my sign this week has nothing to do with the way I lead my life. If nothing else, it should read: Hey stupid! You're too old to be moving that fast!
But alas, I'm too stubborn to pay attention.... beside there's much to do, and too many people counting on me to get it done. Nothing worse than being your own OCD counselor.

I've been absent from the blogsphere for the past several days for a multitude of reasons. First and foremost was that blogger and I had a strange relationship to deal with. When I was ready to comment or post, blogger decided to shut down. When blogger was ready for me, I was off getting ready for back-to-back weddings I was catering this weekend. Does the phrase "two ships in the night" ring any bells here? I finally decided to get done what I could, and leave the rest till I could get to it. It compromised my OCD tendencies, but the little fellows on my shoulders were having a hard time keeping up with the arguments, so the brain finally stepped in and took control. Lucky for me, I still have that safety net in place.

It hardly seems like a week from my mini-vacation.... and all I have left to remember it by is a two inch bear I bought in the mountains. (Well, that and plenty of good memories of a great trip, and lots of beautiful birthday presents.) Hubby and I decided to prolong our return home last Monday, and stopped many times on the way to view the pullover vista sights, as well as a few gift shops. It also gave us the opportunity to stretch our legs from the ride. Since we are reaching the age of trick knees and warped hips, it did us well to stop. Nothing hurts more than driving too long, then hobbling out of the car to the creaks of bones and muscle trying to straighten out and remember what walking is like again.

Since I decided to slack off one more day, I took an extra vacation day (Tuesday) to do stuff around the yard, as well as the house. The gardens did well in my absence, as there was a hard rain that passed through. I bow to the rain Gods once more for saving the farm, as it were, and saving me an extra job of watering everybody. The flowers greeted me with their boldness of color, as their long stemmed arms reached to applaud my return. Did they actually miss me? Who knows, but I was pleased that they survived well. A little mow to the long haired lawn, a little nip and tuck to the trimming of the beds, and all was beautiful in the land of Ellen again. Woohoo, except for the tired muscles at the end of the day.

Then it was time to throw myself back into catering work, and there was plenty of it that needed straightening out. My partners did a good job of taking the orders, but it all stopped there. I was left with tablecloths to wash (which I am just getting to now), papers to file, messages to return, money to deposit, silverware to roll and equipment to pack for the two weddings we did this weekend, as well as supplies to gather. I felt like the old woman of the shoe, who had too many kids, she didn't know what to do.... except my kids were all tasks. Setting the priorities, they were all tackled, and I only have one catering to deliver today, then I can enjoy what's left of my weekend..... all few hours of it.

So I hope you will all forgive me for not responding to your wonderful comments on my last post till today, while I have the few moments between tackling the mountain of laundry I was left with from the weekend. I did finally get into blogger (which seems to work nicer in the morning), and will travel around to see all the wonderful posts you all have written as well.

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend~

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think my sign should read "speed up" I am going through a time where I feel very unmotivated. But as always, reading you was an inpiration. May I borrow a bit of your energy please?

5:37 PM  
Blogger awareness said...

Hey Ellen..........

I looks like you found your zip again!

Autumn is definately in the air up here (a wee bit early!!) and we're all now focused on school starting after Labour Day and all that. I've spent the weekend cooking savoury meals and planning a week of blackberry jam and chili sauce making. My brain is also in high gear with plans and ideas for the fall........always when my energy perks up.

I'm off for one more week of vacation. What fun.

Tomorrow, I go picking blackberries with a good friend. They are the last of the berries for the season, though blueberries are still in abundance.

Ah.....leisure........but I will be ready to return to the hectic pace once September rolls around.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Welcome back you were missed!

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

8:24 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

barbara~
I'm not quite sure if it's energy or my own brand of personal OCD adrenalin. I do know I feel more tired at the end of the day than I used to. Thank you for your kinds words!

************

awareness~

I think the zip found me whether I wanted it to or not. Vacation was far too short, and I know I will need a few more days off somewhere soon.

School has already started down here, and why they don't wait till after Labor Day astounds me. That was always the official end of the summer as far as I was concerned. Oh well, I find I'm learning new things about the South everyday... even after 23 years.

We still have full summer.... 93 degree weather and probably won't start our Autumn till the end of September. I can hardly wait for the cool breezes, open windows, and fresh air.

So glad to see you have one more week to go for vacation... and that your energy sounds yummy with all the cooking you'll get done!
I'm envious to be in my kitchen again.

************

neo!
Thanks a bunch, sweetie! I've missed you, and will be right over. I did read your post this morning, but had to dash off to run another catering tonight before I could think of what to say. One word, for sure, YIKES!

9:04 PM  
Blogger wes said...

lol, no need to apoligize, we all get a little busy sometimes and aren't able to do the things we want to, including me. :)

Hope your extra day off went well, and blogger works for you. Funny, I never seem to have problems like that. :)

12:13 AM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

This was my week to be a blogo-slacker. We all take turns.

Looks like ya got right back up to speed...

A 2-inch bear? is it wood, plastic, or ceramic?

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home