Tuesday, July 25, 2006





a delicate balancing act.....

Some days we have to choose between being the bee or being the cat... and some days it chooses us. Without any real consultation or
awareness involved, we might find ourselves walking a fine tightrope of balancing many tasks in order to make it through the day accomplished. Many times things on our list were never there to begin with, they were added as the day grew longer. Yet we manage to find ways to complete the tasks, because so much depends on those chores we were never aware of.

If we are the cat, the tasks are minimal. Other than the million naps we can take, or patiently waiting for some small critter to make the mistake of crossing our path, we can live a pretty peaceful existence... as long as our owners treat us well. Everything else we do would be considered "all in a days work"..... because cats hold no real job other than fluff and purring. Yes, the owners depend on us to keep their house rid of pesky mice and bugs, and we do run the risk of being dive-bombed in the behind by getting too close to a birds nest in the trees; but for the most part, cat naps are our forte' in life.

If we are the bee, much depends on our abilities to pollinate the species of flowers that grow across the land. We are busy making sure the earth has color, as well as utilizing the nectar from those flowers for food. Not only do we produce honey, but we seek to feed our tribes as well. It has been estimated that one third of the human supply of food is dependent on the pollination that bees accomplish. Therefore, the saying "busy as a bee" has true magnitude because of this.

So as a human, I had the chance to be both sides of the equasion this past week. When I deemed it necessary to be the cat, and enjoy those cat naps I sooooo love, I became the cat.
Lets face it.... it has been hot this past week, and with our commercial kitchen without any air conditioning, temperatures spiked into the likes of hellfire. After making sure I was the bee, and got the food to the required destinations, I came home and crashed. I was wiped of any spare energy to do menial tasks around the office, and saved much of that work for when the sun went down. Then I became a different animal altogether: the owl. Nocturnal abilities are abundant when a good siesta was allowed, and I am so good at this ability. Always keeping one ear perked for the phone to ring, I settled into the depths of my couch and snoozed. If not, I could have been very cranky.... and I'm just not very nice when I'm cranky.

So my lack of posting or making it around to comments didn't mean that I'd dropped off the face of the earth... I was otherwise occupied by rest I could afford myself for being one of the bosses of my company..... and I soooo deserved it. Much work was still accomplished, only at stranger hours than usual. It's a balancing act I've learned to perfect at my nearing age of "ancient". Of course, I'm in big trouble if I ever get a real job that requires me to be alert for a straight 8 hour shift..... but I won't think about that now, it's siesta time!

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a joy to read. I'd love to be a cat for about...a year! I say this all the time, but I can't help it, I love your writing style, the way you contrast and compare and communicate! Excellante! (i meant to spell it like that, said with kind of a flair).

7:08 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

barbara~
You, sweetie, are too kinde!
I was never much of a good writer, and the teachers in my school had a lot to say about that in the form of mega red marks. Plus I used far too many cliches', which they didn't like at all.

Thanks for reminding me why I like blogging, as it has become a way of letting some creativity out, and meeting great people in the process. It's a real win/win situation for me!

**********

love the word veri with this: dyiblo. Very near close to diablo, which describes the weather in Atlanta to a "T"

9:05 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I would love to be a cat for a year too.
Well, at least my cat. He wants for nothing.

Hope you are staying cool!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

lee ann~
I don't doubt that you are as kind to your kitty as you are to all the people who visit you over at the castle. You are a supreme hostess!

I'm loving the air conmditioner, but not the bills it generates. Is it as hot over in B-Ham as it is here?

11:27 PM  
Blogger wes said...

lol, I've been a bee recently. Right now I am working in the bottled water industry, and when its hot out like it is, people drink lots of water. We have trouble keeping up to the demand, and I have been feeling like a bee with its head chopped off the last week or so. So no worries with the lack of blogging, I am having the same troubles. :)

12:12 AM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

My cats know what "Leave the Buzzy-Buggy alone, he'll bite you!" means. They do their job you described well too!
I could use many more cat-naps myself- (*yawn*)

Wish I could make my own work schedule - I've been doing buzy as a bee a minimum of 9 hrs/day all week then up til dawn again!
You're a lucky n talented woman! liked the graphic pic, too!

5:27 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I've been the bee, now I'm the cat. Meow!

4:05 PM  
Blogger awareness said...

Hi there!

Yes it has been the bee in me buzzing around flitting here and there, working and planning and doing...... I can totally relate.

However, I'm more inclined relate to a dog...............dog day afternoons are my forte. I have the best sleeps mid-afternoon, which of course is a bit frowned upon during the workday!!

Great post, Ellen. Your teacher's missed out on your talents.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

wes~
I can imagine that you are very busy now. With the heat as intense as it is, bottled water intake is, I'm sure, at an all-time high. I know we consume lots of it here in my household.
You would hardly need to work out at a gym if you had to sling those cases around all day.... just thinking about it makes me tired!

************

snaggle~
Some kittys are smarter than others, no doubt. They know enough to leave some things alone due to injury of messing with them the first time. I wished I learned those lessons earlier in life!

As far as talent... you, sweetie have that all over me! I could only hope to have 1/100th of your talent. Lucky, I am... talented, not so much really, but you are kind to say so.

************

Saur~
You are an entirely different animal altogether: fox, as in foxy lady! Soon, some man will realize what a treasure you are and take you off the market of us ordinary cats and worker bees.

************

awareness~
With the weather as hot as it is lately, dog day afternoons are the supreme reward for a job well done. Only too bad it is frowned upon during the workday, as a quick power nap in the afternoon does wonders.

Thank you also for your kind words. It's taken years and experience for me to develop the style my teachers wanted out of me so long ago.... and a lot of editing processes on my part. By the way, they NEVER liked my "....'s" It just wasn't proper to use them back then. But then, I never aspired to be a writer anyway. Just give me a garden and a stove, and I knew I had found my groove.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen, there are different types of talent. I have artistic, creative talent. You are gefinately talented with story-telling, communicating with people, n yummy food!

Not many are talented at givimg the teacher exactly what they want...

5:27 AM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

definately !
n I'm lousy at catching typos right away...

5:29 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Interesting post. Very elequently put!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Lyrically speaking said...

Glad you haven't forgotten the blogger world, you make this visit here a little more pleasant reading this post.
I'm proud to be Cathy aka a Cat, I also have the personality of one but I don't whine or meow as much, lol

4:01 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Just stopping in to say hello and give you a hug!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

snaggle~
Thank you for the sweet compliment! It's you and all the wonderful people who I know that bring out the best of my abilities.

************

myutopia~
How sweet of you to say that! Why suddenly I feel like Audrey Hepburn!

************

delaleuverses~
I'm glad you came back for a visit, and enjoyed reading. I try to make it all around the blogworld, and have found a few that took me days to read back into the archives. Some afternoons, the heat is so oppressive that I need that power nap to get rid of the heat headaches it generates. I must confess, though, I haven't been over to read you posts, but have you listed in my favorites, and will travel over to see how you are. You always have the most interesting pictures!

************

lee ann~
Back at you, sweetie! How's the weather in the west these days?
Still very hot here! Just too glad we aren't in California, huh?
They sure are having a very rough time of it lately!

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home