Wednesday, July 05, 2006


odd occurrences.....

A few weeks ago I happened to notice a little bird just sitting in the middle of the road at the end of my driveway. That seemed a little odd, but not quite out of the ordinary. Thinking I could shoo it off a bit, as people race around the curve in front of my house, I stepped closer, albeit slowly so as not to startle the little swallow.... but got so close I could touch it. It never budged an inch. Now that was odd!

Still a little worried that the bird would become part of the pavement, I looked around for a stick and small platform of sorts, in order to transport it manually. Successful in my attempts for props, I walked back to the little guy and tried to prompt him onto the makeshift platform. I gently poked his butt a few times, and still the bird did not move. Perhaps a broken leg? After my third attempt, the bird finally managed to fly "torso level" onto a neighbors yard, where he proceeded to sit the afternoon away. Birds don't usually "sit" on lawns, but who am I to question their methods of kicking back? Feeling like I had done a good deed by getting him out of the street, I talked it over with hubby, who mentioned that he was glad I didn't touch it. West Nile Virus and the Bird Flu became a topic of discussion over dinner.... and then I forgot all about the incident.

Last week, while making inspections of the five birdbaths in my yard, I noticed a robin sitting in a front yard bath, shivering. I'm used to them frolicking about and flapping around, but never just sitting in the water of the birdbath. Once again, this bird would let me get very close (without budging), and this time I figured it relatively safe to leave her alone. Forgetting the events and going about my daily chores, I thought no more about this bird either.... until the next morning on my way out the door. Glancing over at the bath, I noticed the robin keeled over....no doubt this bird would never fly again. A little shaken, and sick to my stomach over the dead carcass, I made a phone call to hubby to tell him of a chore I had in store for him. (It is written somewhere in our marriage vows that he has total chore-domain over yard carcasses.... I made sure of it, and remind him everytime one surfaces.) Bringing out the shovel to ready his tools for the job of sending this poor little soul off to the backyard ivy graveyard, we once again discussed the odd happenings of critters in and around my yard.

I'd probably drop the whole subject all together except for the fact that I've been having some strange occurrences with birds lately. On one of my deliveries in a town north of me, I noticed an odd looking bird trying to cross the road on foot. Not being able to actually identify what type of bird it was.... only that it was big, black and had a funny neck; hubby thought it might be a buzzard. Well.... still not sure as it really didn't look like any buzzard I'd seen, it made a little sense.... but why was it crossing the road on foot? Don't they fly? Maybe it was a wild turkey, as we still do have some around here, but I passed it too quickly to get a detailed look at it's features. Again, I dropped the subject, until I backed out of my driveway this past weekend and there was a man walking his dog..... and a very large parrot the size of a Macaw. What is it with birds lately that they want to walk? Did they forget they are actual prey to all the cats who roam in search of easy fodder? Walking seems like they are making it a little too easy for the kitties who troll the neighborhood, doesn't it? Or am I just being paranoid myself?

Ever since Miss Kitty moved down to Florida the yard has been filled with critters that never dared show themselves, let alone walk around. She was the Queen of Hunters, and never allowed my yard to get so over-run with rodents, reptiles and fowl. Now finding a chipmunk burrowing the ground for food, or a stray snake in search of a mid-day jaunt, is not uncommon. Birds from all over flock to the filled feeders and baths in my yard. It's not unusual to see the squirrels squabble with the cardinals, doves, and black birds over the dropped seeds from the messy little eaters that pick over the seeds at the feeders..... dropping the leftovers to the ground. With a fresh coat of pine straw on the ground in areas where I don't bother to grow grass anymore, new pock marks appear, which means a new job for me to straighten it all up again. If Miss Kitty were around, the noise level, pock marks, random snakes, paranoid squirrels and chipmunks would think twice before their venture into the gardens.

As it is, we joke amongst ourselves everytime the feeders are filled, and announce to all critters that the "buffet is open", and step back as the animals peek through the ivy to see for themselves. I've found it's true.... the smell of food will turn anyone's nose in it's direction, and it doesn't take long for all creatures to figure it out either. Perhaps that's part of the problem. Maybe I feed them TOO much. You should see some of the super-sized critters that drop into the gardens. I've noticed this same phenomenon with dumpsters near McDonalds..... all critters who sanction them are well fed and robust. How can they not be with all that food available?

Somehow I can deal with all the squirrels and birds.... it's the reptiles and rodents that frighten the stuffing out of me. I hate snakes and rats.... it's no secret to anybody who knows me. I don't see a lot of them (which is a good thing), but occasionally run across one from time to time. It's the reason I will not go outside barefoot. One reptile was sighted by hubby this weekend, who promptly managed to smack it in the kisser with the edger, not realizing it was a snake at first; this called for another trip to the ivy graveyard. Snakes look so much like twigs, it's hard to tell them apart sometimes, so weeding sticks and twigs from the lawn is a careful operation. The rats and mice seem to thrive in the ivy.... also making good food for the snakes, I guess. The population is still at bay somewhat, as another kitty in the neighborhood makes a foray into the gardens from time to time.... let's face it, my gardens are kind of a "buffet" for her too.

It's the sick or injured birds that have me a little spooked. Granted, they could have been incapacitated by legitimate means... but all this talk of bird flu makes you wonder, doesn't it?

11 Comments:

Blogger X said...

That does sound a little odd. Maybe they don't Have the Bird Flu...but rather the Bird Crazies.

7:03 PM  
Blogger wes said...

Odd indeed. :)

I had an incident with a bird a few weeks ago. It flew into one of my windows in my house. I guess that happens all the time, but this one put a hole in the glass with its beak, and died instantly. I did not like disposing of it, that is definitely one of my least favorite things to do.

I use to spend a lot of time at the lake because my ex's family had a cabin up there, and her family's cat would bring back mice all the time and leave them by the backdoor, as if we were supposed to be proud of her for killing a mouse. I didn't like disposing of those either. I get the shivers just thinking about it. :)

8:29 PM  
Blogger Milk Brain said...

next time i'd call animal control and see if they're doing testing for west nile or something. they might be interesting in knowing that you've got birds dying all over the place over there so they can monitor it. i remember once at my old job we found a dead bird out of the blue on the sidewalk and there was some disease going around so we called them.. they told us they weren't doing the testing anymore but thanked us for the call anyway.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

ej~
No bird flu cases reported yet.... fingers crossed.... but with all the hype lately, it does cross your mind when birds are acting weird. Like I said though.... those guys are getting fat in my yard, I may be overfeeding them.

************

K.~
Wouldn't Alfred Hitchcock or Steven King have a field day with this? Hmmm.... that makes me think of a good fiction story to write in my spare time someday.

************

wes~
That's why I love having the neighborhood cats do the patroling. Once they acquire a prey, they bring it home to their own masters and don't leave it on my doorstep. Just not a fan of little half-eated dead critters myself.... and all the more reason why it was written into the marriage vows. I literally get physically ill at the sight of a carcass. I could never be hired with the state DOT division that had to pick up road kill. ICK!

9:02 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

mb~
I had considered that... but hubby thinks I might be a little too paranoid. He said we should keep an eye out for now... and keep the OFF spray within reach. We do suffer our share of mosquitos that carry all kinds of nasty diseases.

Luckily CDC is in Atlanta, and I know someone in town who works there... so if any more weird things occur, I'm making a trip over. Gotta get hubby to sack up the carcus though.....

9:09 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Wow, the bird thing is wild!
The wild critters are interesting to say the least.
When I lived in South Florida, I had countless encounters every day.
It was not uncommon to see the snakes in my yard. (I lived on a canal). The types of snakes I saw were: Coral, black racer, indigo, water moccasin, rat snake, and others I could not identify. We had two ducks that would come sit under our trees in the back yard to cool off, raccoons, a huge rat, a opossum that made its home in the headlight well on the inside my car and the biggest....a 10 foot aligator sunning in my backyard after crawling out of the canal. What a trip that was!
Now that I am in Birmingham, I don't see the critters the way I did when I was in South Florida. I loved hearing of your backyard adventures.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I took care of an abandoned baby barn-swallow once, which had fallen out of the nest. He just sat, clue-less also. Tweezer bugs n worms he quickly learned to get himself.
Baby birds are ignorant, perhaps that was the case with the swallow there. Sometimes babies can look full grown when only weeks old.
A shame there's no way to test for the diseases we're now so afraid of. Of course birds die for many different reasons, injuries, parasites, old-age, n illness.

If I were you I'd prob be in danger of being contaminated because I can't resist trying to help critters. Of course West Nile n Bird Flu would have me thinkin twice now, but I've already saved a few birdies that got to fly off into a full life, along with trying to help others that sadly never made it back out of the box.

Birds seem to know I'm not dangerous, some have flown right up within a couple feet of me out on the deck, finches, chickadees, n the nuthatches I feed in the winter, n once a hummingbird. So far I've never caught anything, I'm lucky. I do wash my hands alot!

I hope your birdies aren't catchy!

2:38 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

lee ann~
Wow! You really did have a large array of creatures to look out for in your yard.
I have a friend who lives on Marco Island who describes Florida as the "bug capital" of the world. She told me that she's seen bugs she's never seen before.... and bigger than you'd expect. I'm afraid I'm a real wimp when it comes to that many critters. Bugs don't necessarily bother me... unless they are BIG.

When it comes to snakes.... they all bother me, even the babies. Hubby laughed at me because the one he sent to snake heaven was probably only 8 inches long (already dead) but I had to back away... and even scolded him for letting me know about it in the first place. He could have just disposed of it quietly... but noooo, he had to show it to me first. (And he knows better!)

And speaking of wild critters... we've actually had coyotes roaming at night here.... not to mention the occasional bear sightings at some of our malls. Kind of wild for Atlanta, huh?

************

snaggle~
I'm not surprised in the least that birds would let you get close to them. They obviously know you have a big heart! They might even have their own network of communication that passes the word along to their feathered friends what a good soul you are to treat the injured ones.

It is kind of sad that we are a little more put off in our efforts to help out the sick ones because of the diseases.... but in my case, I'm just too wimpy to pick them up at all. Now if it were a rabbit... that would be different. That's one rodent that doesn't bother me in the least. Of course they can be jumpy, scratchy, and bite... but somehow that wouldn't keep me away. They're just toooo cute!

8:06 AM  
Blogger awareness said...

This is a very interesting conversation!

Up front? I hate snakes, spiders(especially big juicy ones from the river that seemed to love my back deck and flowers)and most bugs. We have no poisonous snakes in my neck of the woods, nor poisonous spiders. Think I'll stay put here!

I try not to think of West Nile or Bird Flu, though it just seems like a matter of time before it hits the Maritimes.

I too have a window that seems to attract birdies......they can see right through from the back to front of my house...... a little short cut, maybe. Last summer, I had a morning dove couple hanging out on my property. Every morning, I would see them sitting together and flying around together. Then, one day I found one of them dead on my back deck. Broken neck from careening into the window. Morning doves, I am told only have one life mate.

To end on a more humourous note? There have been moose sightings at the end of my street. None in my backyard as yet. :)

1:28 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

Hi ya! That is odd I think, but who knows maybe your place is so beautiful that they chose it to be the last thing they see. Have a great week!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

awareness~
When I moved to Atlanta from New England, I was amazed at the size of the very same bugs we had up in the "north country". The bugs seem to be bigger down here.... but I hear they are gigantic the further south you go.
I think I'll deal with the ones I got at this point, as I'm even a lesser fan of snow on a constant basis in the winter.

I, too, have doves that love to visit. They have to eat off the ground at two of my feedersthat are squirrel-proof.... at least that's what the box said. If a certain amount of weight hits the buffet standing bar, it locks up the seeds. The doves are just too heavy, but the squirrels have figured out a way to "hang 10" to get to the food. Actually it's kind of funny to watch.

Let me know if you do sight a moose... now that would be cool!

************

skye~
Oh.... what a beautiful thing to say! I think I'll look at it that way instead of thinking about those nasty old viruses going around. No denial here, huh? LOL!

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home