Thursday, June 22, 2006



















it's how you look at it.....

That's the funny thing about perspectives, everyone has their own, and they're as common as opinions. Gaze at any life canvas long enough, and you are bound to find a image that not everybody else can see. What we forget, most of the time, is that there is a bigger picture involved as well. We are too intent, more times than not, on being gratified with the little amount we do understand, and dismiss that which takes a more open mind for. In a lot of cases we get tangled in the "entitlement" phase and the perception perceived by others is not always flattering. With good reason..... nobody likes a truly rude person.

I had the opportunity to read a few posts from blogsphere that touched on the subject of perspectives. One concerned a story of a waiter and hostess talking at a host stand. In walks a woman with her husband, demanding a table by the window. When told that all tables were reserved except for an aisle seat, the woman huffed, called the situation "hideous" and stomped out of the restaurant. Concerned that the hostess would be upset over the situation (as this was her first day), the waiter expressed condolences. This girl was ready though. She proceeded to tell the waiter about her 22-year old sister that just returned from Iraq. She said her sister wouldn't care what table she ate at, she was just happy to be home, as was all of her family. And BAM.... it put the whole situation into perspective.

Another story was about a man who moved into an affluent area. His neighbors, seeing a middle-aged man who rides a Harley, keep a guarded attitude in their manner toward him. What they didn't know was that this new neighbor was to keep guard on the neighborhood, while his neighbors go to work everyday. Sort of a self-applied and appointed position, he is a hero for doing this. Did his neighbors bother to find that out about him? No. They saw long hair, a motorcycle, and a motorcycle party, and passed their own judgment first. And BAM again! There was that perception fairy again.

It seemed to me that this was a good lesson in humility. It was a good time to take a peek into my past and see if I passed judgment on something without giving it the benefit of the doubt. Nope.... pretty ok here. I have to admit, I like being on the better side of karma than not. To me, it just doesn't make any sense to be outwardly rude to people, as the woman in the restaurant was. That attitude usually ends up in a very sour and miserable life.... and surely there's more to life than that. Standing up for your rights is a noble thing, but so are rules to keep you in line. If you follow the moral ones a little more closely, they are filled with social manners; the most important one is "getting along". It's what society does if they want to co-exist. That seems a pretty simple rule in itself, yet so difficult to obtain. And to be perfectly honest with you, there are some days I don't undertand why. What's so hard about "do good things".

We are lucky to be able to catch random acts of kindness glimpses here and there.... the world is not hopeless yet, but we don't see as many as we'd like. These images are projected forward as time passes through. What will recorded history say of us without truly getting to know us? Will they judge us on our wars and bad deeds? Or will they open their eyes to see the people who exist now? I suppose it depends on how you look at it. Well..... lets hope we are judged kindly by history by starting to remember what "do good things" implies.

10 Comments:

Blogger Skye said...

That is a greaat post. :)

3:54 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

skye~ thanks sweetie!

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post (as usual). I wonder what Harley riding guy you are referring to :)

5:30 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

bar~
Why our own Mr. A, of course! And thanks for the complimetn, sweetie!

************

ej~
Being a fellow server, we do get our share don't we?

Check out: http://waiterrant.net/ ... it's a fantastic blog, and you can identify easily with his stories.

7:55 PM  
Blogger awareness said...

The Counselling profession offers me daily opportunities to try to see things from as many perspectives or angles as I can........though sometimes I get stuck looking at something one way.

This is the example that popped into my head as I read and thought about your post.......

The other day, I was visiting an older man in his home. The whole visit was a test on perspectives, from the moment I arrived in his rain soaked muddy driveway and saw the shack he lived in (turned out it was cozy and clean inside, with a smell of wood smoke coming out of his stove) to the stories he regaled me with. He told me one of a Canadian boxer he knew personally who had once held the national title. This guy's life went upside down tragically.....the story was rivetting......my writer's brain was on overdrive.

As I left, filled with many stories, but focused on the "true" one he told me.......I told him that I would write about it one day and put him in the story. WELL......for two days, I "googled" the name, thinking I had been given a gift and wanted to write about it........only to find out from a friend that the name this guy had provided was the name of a character (boxer) in a movie.

Sometimes.......my middle name should be gullible.......!!!

have a mighty fine day.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen;

It appears as though the 'first' impressions sometimes are the right impressions. It's never easy to make a good judgement call but sometimes you have to look at your 'inner being' and take that chance. I too have made many bad calls of character but that is the collateral damage of being in business for so many years. Unfortunately many 'good' characters have to suffer along the way. Volumes have been written on this and we still don't really understand it when it comes to human relations.

By chance do you remember the 'legless' lady in NYC in 1975, sitting on the sidewalk begging for a handout? her 'plight' brought you to tears, but did you really know her story? I didn't and I still don't. Nor did I know much about the story behind a women from Greenwich Conn that 'pawned' money from passerbyers in Times Square, only to return to her stately home each evening in an affluent neighborhood earning a six digit tax free annual figure from her escapades on the street. We are all only skin deep!

Love Karl

11:36 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I like how you combined diff other blog posts to stress the same theme. Good observation! Also reasonable common sense arguement for getting along n not being judgemental.
Maybe a few folks will rethink their judgmental nature after bloggin today...

4:13 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

awareness~
What a lovely story.... and I still think you could write a whole post about your experience with a nice ironic twist at the end! It certainly was a long list of perspectives that you had to deal with. Funny how we manage to get all twisted up into it, only to sort out the details later, but then that's the whole point. Not everything is as it seems sometimes, huh?

************

karl~
Yeah, me and my "thin skin"... I'm an easy crier when I see people who are suffering, or who I perceive to be suffering. Remember the trip we took to see Dad at work one time, and there was a lady who we saw alseep under the tree with a cigarette still lit in her mouth. Since I was real little (maybe 4) I never understood what had happened to her (whether she had suffered a stroke or not), but knew Mom was concerned about her, stopped the car, and tried to get her help, because she knew something was wrong. That night when Dad put me to bed, I remember he had to console me because I was crying about the lady.
Or the time I saw the Smith children (from Old Saybrook)in a store with dirty diapers and crying. It brought me to tears.

Even though I'm older, it hasn't changed much... I can cry at the drop of a hat if I see any sadness, and approaching menopause doesn't make the hormones any kinder to me. It's so bad, that I have to monitor what I watch on TV. I still cry over shows, news, or any general sadness... so bad, that I need a box of kleenix next to me anytime the tube is on.
Geez, I'm such a wimp!

************

snaggle~
Thanks, sweetie! I think that's why I love the whole blogging experience. It presents so many situations that allow us to see the other side of life, and hopefully teaches us something in return. I try very hard to let the common sense part of my brain look at both sides of situations, before rushing to judgements... but we are only human, and sometimes I fail at that as well. It is truly a lesson in humility.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - As someone that experiences that bias all the time I can say that you try not to let other people's opinions hurt you, but they cut deep sometimes.

I have long and stand out. People get on their high horse without even getting to know me. I must be this, or that. Never taking the time to find out who I am.

I see that happen all the time. People instantly think they know it all about someone just based off their appearance. Pretty shallow outlook if you ask me.

At any rate, you have a great weekend Ellen.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

6:22 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~
Yup, we are directed in life by our perceptions... whether they are correct or not. The best we can do is try to remember that everyone has a story, and hope we do not get conned by the truly bad ones that come in good-looking packages.... as there are plenty of those too. Ted Bundy and Robert Chambers come to mind.

No doubt when you are a good person people tend to see the outward appearance as the true measure of your worth and judge you by that more than your actions sometimes. Tis complicated!

xo

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home