Friday, August 11, 2006


rumblings from the sky.......

I don't know about you, but I love to watch thunderstorms ......from the safety of my porch, of course. If I didn't have to worry about being struck, I'd stand out in the middle of a field to watch them.

Hubby and I had the opportunity to pull up front-row seats to a storm that passed through this past weekend. We opened up the garage door, set up comfy chairs, a couple of tea cocktails, and waited for the show to begin. We were not disappointed in the entertainment or antics of the many bolts that came close. A few times we inched back further into the garage because the sound was deafening, and the flash of light (followed by counting to ten) was revealed that the lightening was indeed closer than we thought. The electricity flickered a few times, until it went out completely. There went the air conditioning inside the house..... but at least the outside air had cooled down to a comfortable 80 degrees, compared to the 97 degrees it was just minutes before.

Every night this past week, and several before that, the sky has rumbled and rocked. It hasn't always produced rain as I wished, but I live in a weather void area.....which means it might rain at my neighbors house, while I have full sunshine. I've always wondered about the line of demarcation when it came to storms. What is the actual point where bad weather stops, and good weather starts? I have finally found that spot in my state; it's somewhere near my yard. Strange, but true. I have driven home in a blinding rainstorm, only to get to my street where the birds are chirping, and the squirrels are frolicking about to gather nuts in the gracious sunshine..... not a care in the world to the impending onslaught that may or may not happen.

Maybe they know something I don't, or maybe they are like me. I've gotten to the point where I don't have too much trust in the weather report unless I'm watching it first hand from my window. Yes, it's nice to know about tornados heading my way, and I am grateful to the weathermen who let us know when to evacuate to the basement.... but for the little stuff, I part the curtains. Somehow the map they have is a bit inaccurate to the landscape I'm familiar with. Well, at least it's that way when I watch the Weather Channel. Local news is a better indicator..... they know street names and neighborhoods I can identify.

Yet, hubby is a Weather Channel-watching fool. He could watch it for hours. I like the Storm Stories they have on from time to time, and it's peaked my interest to do one of those dare-devil storm-tracker vacations..... but otherwise, I'd rather snap in a good movie, and wait for the real thing to dominate the sky. That could be a little dangerous, as tornados have popped up out of relatively small storms, but living in that weather-void area, they seem to tumble all around me, not on me. I did have a close call when my son was little. A huge bolt came down and hit the neighbors yard behind me, and traveled in their house via their outside light system. It fried every piece of electronics that was plugged in. I watched it unfold before my eyes, as I just happened to be looking out the window at the precise moment the bolt struck the ground. It was a bit scary, but I'm on a different electricity system than they are, and it never affected me. You see, my house and yard is the line between my little hamlet and the next town north. My back fence is the town line..... another reason for my silly theory about weather-void.

Tonight was no different. The sky has been rumbling for a few hours. We did get enough rain so that I won't have to sneak out and water the poor thirsty gardens, but so much damage has been done by the heat and sun already. My grass is hanging in as best as it can; I've been afraid to take the mower to it, lest I stress out the roots more. The flowers still get all the attention, so they are doing well, but it is a struggle to keep them happy. Most of the beds contain impatiens which are colorful, lovely, and proven growers. The only problem is, they are thirsty buggers, and demand gallons of water on a daily basis.... sometimes twice a day. So when the skies open up, I am grateful to the rain Gods, that I have been spared another chore for the day.

What's that I hear..... more droplets coming down..... ahhh! If this keeps up, I won't have to break any water banning laws for another day or so. Great! Now I can snap in the new Batman movie I've been dying to watch!

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen;


Nice blog. I remember Charles telling me one time about how much he loved to watch and follow storms. They are intriguing I will admit. And I have had my share of storms at sea to write a book. Someday I may even sit down and sift through my photos and arrange them in order to complete my album.

Anyway, I will be in touch with you later today.

Love Karl

10:03 AM  
Blogger X said...

I love watching thunderstorms...they are so calming. However lightening scares the crap out of me. Something about being hit that just doesn't sit well.

I'm a Weather Network nut too. It's so fun to watch! :)

10:23 AM  
Blogger awareness said...

We don't get the rumbly tumbly storms as often in my neck of the woods like they do in Ontario where I grew up (and they've had some doozies this summer). However, when the storm starts grumbling, I like to watch it gathering steam and speed "up river" and then watch it follow the river right past my house. We live up on a hill that gives us a view of west to east..........often the flow of the storm.

My daughter and our dog are both thunderstorm chickens, and are not too far away when one decides to roll into town.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

Being raised by a working Mom, she had a Lady watch me durring the day,(I guess I was a science project in progress) anyway MaryBelle would always have to drag me inside by the arm when a thunderstorm would come up. To this day I love being out side when Nature is putting on a light show. Great post. :)

1:55 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I enjoy thunderstorms sometimes, just not when I am alone.
Sounds like nature gave you quite a performance.
I hope you have a great weekend Ellen.
~xo

4:21 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Karl~
I would love to publish some of those pictures, as they are awesome. As a matter of fact, I still have a few you took way back in the early days of the CG. They hang in my office. One is of the sun setting behind the Bourne Bridge, and a few are of the Boston skyline at sunset. They always get nice compliments when people see them.
I still think you should consider writing... you do have fascinating stories!

************

K.~
Yeah, there is that liability factor that keeps me from standing out in the middle of the storm in the first place. Lightning doesn't bother me, unless it rumbles across the landscape, and the dishes are rattling in the cupboard.... then I get a little nervous.
Just last night a house was hit by a bolt, where it started a fire and destroyed everything.... including two of the owners cats. The people weren't home at the time, thank goodness.

************

awareness~
Yup, I like to see them come across the landscape too.
I remember a vacation we took to the Keys in south Florida. The only way to Key West was by bridges that connect the islands. Since the land is so flat down there, we could see a thunderstorm way off in the distance, even though it was complete sunshine where we were.
We've also driven through a few tornados.. and those are very scary. You can't see anything in front of you, as the visibility is a blended color of yellow, green, and grey. Those gave me red knuckles!

************

skye~
As a kid, I used to be afraid of the thunder when it rumbled through, but came to enjoy it, when hubby showed such an interest. As long as I was protected behind some type of barrier, I realized that it really couldn't hurt me.
We were out at Stone Mountain one time when a storm came through. What amazed me was that it came and went in a matter of minutes.... nothing like I was used to with the cold rains of the Northeast, which usually lasted all day. This storm had "warm" rain.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

lee ann~
We do get some doozies down here huh? The loud ones are a bit intimidating at times, as they can really shake the house.
A girl friend of mine got hit on Sunday night. She actually was watching from her basement window when a bolt came down, split in two on the pavement, and struck her house. It ended up frying her computer. She said she just stood awestruck as it headed towards her house.... kind of like a deer in the headlights.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend yourself, sweetie! We are supposed to be getting cooler breezes through our area.... break out the sweaters!

4:31 PM  
Blogger wes said...

I love thunderstorms, and we get plenty of them here in the prairies. And we get tornados too, but very rarely do they touch down in the city, mostly out in the country. My mom, who grew up here in Saskatchewan, moved to southern California about 8 years ago, and she always says, the thing she misses most about Saskatchewan is the storms. :)

11:05 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I hadta walk through a storm to the truck thursday on my break just to have a place to get odd my feet. Then had a lightrning show while I was eating. At least the rain was on the light side.

Right now here we're in the 60's, n I feel cold for the first time this summer!

6:09 AM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ugh! "off" my feet!
Apparently I'm sp tired I don't care if I walk out into the mess... n can't type, either

6:15 AM  
Blogger Rainbow dreams said...

I love watching storms too - though it's been a while since we had a good one - always remember watching a storm over Guernsey while we were on holiday on a neighbouring island - it was spectacular to see it from a safe enough distance but light up the whole island. Doesn't sound as spectacular as yours though :-)

7:55 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

wes~
I'll bet those are beautiful across the prairies.... and you can see them in a more full view compared to the ones I see behind the trees here. I didn't realize you got thunderstorms also, though.

************

snaggle~
Wow, your temps realy dropped! Did you have to break out a sweater?

We had a cooler weekend finally as it dropped into the 70's. I finally didn't have to turn on the air for two days. We did get a nice shower in on Saturday, so it looks like the grass might make it ok, and I can lay off watering the flowers for a few days.

************

rainbow dreams~
They are fascinating aren't they?
I think that the best way to watch most of them is from a very safe distance... how lucky for you to have a light show while on holiday.
I'll bet that was beautiful!

8:15 PM  
Blogger john said...

man , u r brave . i stayed inside the house as soon as lightning and thunder start . i guess it's because when we were young , our parents put the fear of thunder in us to make us stop crying . funny how certain things stay w/ you 'till you are a parent yourself .do i try that w/ my kids ? naah .

8:19 PM  
Blogger wes said...

Oh yeah, we get some of the loudest, craziest storms here. Its from the heat of the day, we almost always get a storm in the evening, and they are quite the sight to see.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

john~
For the most part, I do stay protected, but the sight is so lovely from the windows, or the safety of my screened-in porch.

So glad to see that you do not practice the same fear of storms with your children. We should all grow up without them, and practice caution only.

************

wes~
Yeah, it's the heat that causes ours too, in these late summer days.
Our biggest fear is that we are surrounded by lots of trees, who have suffered droughts in the past few years, which has weakened many of them. One good strike, or wind just topples them. Tons of damage happen in that area. Also, pine trees are somehow naturally weak, as they are always the first ones down.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I love it when it rains, too! It's rained on and off today and it's awesome. A good mix of sunshine and shade. ;o)

2:52 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

saur~
There is something so soothing about the rain.... hubby always says it's good sleeping weather. I know it works good for me.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Same here. I love a great storm. Now that I'm further North than where I used to live years ago I see some really nice one's up here.

This summer has definitely been filled a ton of weird weather!

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home