Monday, September 11, 2006


our heartache......

They were our pride and joy; the measure of everything tall and magnificent in a country rich in resources and ideas. They were the landmark that let me know that home to New England was only a few hours away, and the one sight I always looked forward to on my journeys north. I made it a point to make sure we saw them on the horizon whenever we traveled through the city. It was more difficult to see the Statue of Liberty, but the twin towers rose out of the horizon stretching to the heavens far beyond any other building that stood by their side. Then I watched them both crumble to a pile of dust and twisted metal in a matter of seconds, and my heart ached for the people who weren't fortunate enough to make it out, trapped in the rubble of the remains. Many would not make it out, and the toll loss would number close to 3,000 people, between the occupants of the Twin Towers, the planes, and the second target of the Pentagon.


We were stunned, shocked, and unbelieving of all the events unfolding.... as never before had we ever been directly attacked in the lower 48 to such extremes. And to find out that we had trained the very men who took this bold step against us, was akin to being slapped in the face. As we sifted through our anguish and anger over the events, the skies were freakishly quiet. The flags went up around the country in a show of our solidarity, and funerals were planned for those who weren't so lucky to make it through the day.

We now come to the fifth anniversary of September 11th, and that gives us time to sit back and reflect all the events that have followed since. Finding ourselves embroiled in a war on terrorism that stretches across the globe, the loss numbers of our service men and woman looms well past the 2,000 mark..... not to mention the countless number of Iraq civilians, foreign servicemen, and news correspondents caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, as suicide bombers and kidnappers complete their missions.

Reports of personnel, who gave of their time to help clean up the rubble left by the towers' collapse, are suffering lung diseases from all the dust they inhaled on the site, even though they were assured by the EPA that levels of toxins were minimal, and "safe".

The already slipping US economy was said to have dove into a recession in the immediate weeks following 9/11, although the government later stated that was false (cough, cough). Business did slow down considerably following the attacks, and although we are told that our economy is strong now, I just don't see it. I know of too many people who are either out of work or struggling to keep their heads above major debt-load handed to them in the form of utilities and everyday living expenses.


Meanwhile the war-chest funds are constantly being re-calculated to support whatever is necessary to get these "evil-doers". We saw that promise by our own leader, declaring it on top of the rubble at ground zero. Well, the money does have to come from somewhere, doesn't it? In our looking to our leader for reasons why, we forgot to ask the question of how.

Other countries who are our allies, have been exposed to varying degrees of terrorism they had never had to deal with. This was pre-9/11, but it also has been post 9/11.... and the terrorists have been deadly at all of their targets. Citizens going about their daily life, once again, in the wrong place at the wrong time, became victims of terrorism, in Europe, as well as all around the world.

Our country takes the helm in leading this fight, and our leader has tried to justify every one of them as they come up at different intervals through the years. Funny how they seem to contradict the ones before them, but we are becoming accustomed to the secrets, fence-jumping, and redirections handed to us as excuses. The means are being suited to justify the end result, and just to make sure we are all in this together, terrorism is the headliner.... because, after all, we did witness it happen on our own land already. That's enough to make one a little more aware of their surroundings...... whether they're willing to admit it or not.

So, five years later, and still on the road to recovery for some, we mark a time in our life that defines like no other before, and we say silent prayers for the victims and heros. Funny thing about recovery.... it doesn't mean we forget the event, only that we learn new ways to adapt to the changes it brings. We find ways to live with the consequences of an environment that has been forever changed, and we hope for a future where the children of the world will not be burdened with the everlasting effects of today.


To those people that gave so much of themselves on September 11th, to the fallen victims, heros, and family members that have to carry on without their loved ones, I extend my deepest heartfelt thoughts. You will be remembered.


11 Comments:

Blogger awareness said...

Beautifully written, Ellen.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Great post! I also posted about today. I was going through loosing my grandfather at the same time, and then a couple months later I also lost my mentor. It was a hard time for me.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Excellent writing! I will never forget.

Scott

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

while I have great sympathy for what happened that day i feel you are misinformed to belive that your allies never suffered terrorisum before 9/11 spain had the basque seperatests britain had the IRA please do not believe that america is the first victim of this kind of violence we are just more acostomed to it

5:16 PM  
Blogger X said...

"Funny thing about recovery.... it doesn't mean we forget the event, only that we learn new ways to adapt to the changes it brings."

That is so very true. Society always adapts, but the battle scars last forever.

You're a great writer Ellen. :)

6:36 PM  
Blogger wes said...

Well said. :)

It is a day that will define our generation. Many years from now, I will talk about it to my grandchildren when they ask about it. I say where I was when it happened and how I felt. And there was such an outpouring of support from around the world in the days following 9/11. Its too bad that Bushco has destroyed any postive feelings towards the US about that day.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

awareness~
Many thanks for your kind words. I went over to read your post today, and saved my comments for when I got home tonight... but blogger ate all my links for the moment. I will be over to comment when I get them all back.

************

myutopia~
Thank you. 2001 sounds like it was a terrible time for you getting hit three times with tragedies.
I also went over to read your post about 9/11, and also waited to comment tonight. Blogger has other ideas with my links temporarily... and I will be over to comment when I get things straightened out.

************

scott~
Thank you! I read your well thought out post today, and think your challange is one we should take into account. If only those pesky terrorists could see through our eyes!

************

anonymous~
If you read the paragraph over again, you will see that I did mention the fact that terrorism has happened pre-9/11. I never thought it just started after 9/11, and have lived through a time when the IRA was a true threat to the UK. Not for a moment did I think that America was the first victim of violence... it's been going on for many years, and well before the events of 9/11.

************

K.~
Thanks, sweetie! I enjoyed reading your accounts of that day as well.

************

wes~

Your last sentence pretty much sums up the feelings towards his administration. He has lost much sympathy due to the poor turns this whole war is taking. Unfortunetly, we are only scratching the surface on the lies that got us into this mess in the first place.

Very thought provoking post you had today as well!

8:42 PM  
Blogger john said...

I cry everytime I think of that day and your writings made me teary eyed .
How can ever forget . Thanks .

8:47 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

john~
I am sorry that I made you teary eyed, but appreciate you coming by to read.

No, we will never forget, no matter how long we live... it has been broadcast too many times for us to push it all aside. We can only hope that the world see the follys for what they are and make strong strides to correct the mistakes that have come out of it.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

A good, insightful read from your unique angle of putting the events into perspective, thankyou.
I'm so overtired that I've been having an emotional day this year due to the anniversary.
So much panic, fear, n sorrow followed the attacks that day, so many will still have Post-Traumatic-Stress from the event for decades to come.
Historically it may get compared to the attack on Pearl Harbor because of the emotional (n Warfare) effect felt from it...

10:16 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

snaggle~
I watched several shows on The History Channel, as well as the special they aired on CBS about the survivors who made it out of the buildings on 9/11. I am not the least surprised that a good amount of them were traumatized by the events... some even moved very far away, wanting to put as much space between them and the area. Can you blame them?

I was very emotional at the time, and even found myself crying in stolen moments... so I can just imagine how the people who were there first hand felt.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home